Can\'t get R9 290 GPU to work with my motherboard - could it be a BIOS problem?

So I wonder why the R9 290 does not work in any configuration… Not with LEgacy enabled, not disabled, not with any vBIOS…damn
------------------------

How about trying to flash this bios: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/171181/171181

You could, but there are plenty of “verified” bioses to choose from as well. Really, I suppose you’re just looking for a combo that works: uefi supported or not (gop or no gop), vbios version??, legacy enabled/disabled, and then maybe go for tuning/updating from there. Looking at the db, it looks like there were rare cards that used samsung ram, so watch out for that.

A minor nuisance to consider is that while the boards may all be reference design, the bios you choose could have a different fan profile (if the card didn’t use the reference blower). But at this point, it’s more interesting to find a compatible bios

It sounds like no matter which vbios you choose, it works fine in the gigabyte h61, but none work with the intel board?

None work with the H61 Gigabye and none work with the Intel DH61WW. It works with the ASRock b450m-pro4
--------------------------

Update: I tried all the vBIOSes you provided and none of them work. The Intel board says PCIE x16 slot not populated. I tried both legacy enabled/disabled and uefi enabled/disabled (all combinations for each vBIOS).
I wonder if it’s something physical about the PCIE slot maybe the R9 290 is too heavy and moves sideways and doesn’t sit correctly and the ASROCK B450M Pro4 is more built for newer heavy GPUs so it holds the card firmer? Or no way?

So maybe now I should move on to testing with the Gigabyte board? there it shuld be easier to test because it’s only Legacy, so I only need a completely Legacy vBIOS

This is a long shot, but I’ve flipped many 290s back in the eth mining heyday, including some broken ones. Had a surprising number of cards with ablown up smd capacitor by the pcie connectors: https://www.overclock.net/media/no-title.4147240/full

Doubt that’s your problem since that’s usually a works/doesn’t work / limited to pcie x1/x2/x4/x8 depending on which one popped. I’m guessing you don’t have any riser cards to test with?

But my card works perfectly on the b450m pro4. You think that it’s not working in x16 mode there even thought It’s working? I can buy riser cables. But which size and how to test?

Nah not worth it unless you’d have another use for them anyway.

Have you tried setting gpu priority to igpu and enabling multimonitor if available?

@Frandesktop - DH61WW << Try this board in UEFI mode, with Updated UEFI GOP mod BIOS I made for you from your dumped BIOS, and or one of the ones I linked that already say UEFI Yes
You do not need Legacy only BIOS to test legacy mode on Intel or Gigabyte board, but in some rare cases (such as we’ve often modified vBIOS for Dell/HP) trying to boot with vBIOS that has EFI GOP in it caused a fail (Thus we removed, and made it legacy only, like your original BIOS)
Not working at x16 wouldn’t matter either, if that was happening I mean. It can still boot and be used in any x4 or x8 only slot on a compatible board, so if it was messed up in that manner it wouldn’t cause it to not work on one board but fine on another.

Here, test this in Gigabyte board - It’s this BIOS >> https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/1488…290-4096-131112
But I removed GOP - https://ufile.io/tofeqnz1

Sometimes GFX cards, and other devices, are simply not compatible with certain boards for various reasons, or certain BIOS for various reasons, and in those cases only the manufacturer could directly resolve the issue via testing and BIOS fix.
And in such case, it would need to be addressed with them during that time period, back in the H61 or 290 days. Probably in the 290 era, no manufacturer would mess with H61 BIOS, so even problably then they would not help.
Obviously the card works fine as it is with stock BIOS in legacy mode, on modern B450 board, so it’s OK. And you can update it to have GOP and also use on that board or others, in UEFI mode too if you need.
It may be best for your sanity, to pick some other card for these H61 boards

Thank you. Which of them is the vBIOS you made for the Intel UEFI from my dumped bios?

**Also, if I flash the Legacy vBIOS for Gigabyte and it won’t work - how can I flash the original vBIOS back - will I be able to boot with this vBIOS from the B450M Pro4 again? Or since the Pro4 is UEFI it won’t boot there either and I’ll completely lose that rom chip?

Hey can you upload the ROM file directly? Windows Defender detects it as a virus. send .ROM not .zip… Or maybe it’s the website and try another website?

@Lost_N_BIOS ? What happened?

Also, I checked from other Pc and the file that Windows detects as virus was uploaded in 2019… but you said you made it just now? So how it’s from 2019?

Edit: Maybe flashing the R9 290 with a R9 290X/390X vBIOS will work? (Is it even possible for the reference R9 290?)

Wot other "juicy"cards did u ran on that Intel board?
U can have an HW issue on the PCIe slot, by NOT delivering the correct power amount the slot.
With all the flashes u done it should had already give any sign…even a corrupted display screen.
There was a pcb mod necessary to the 280/x in order to enable PCIe 2/3.0 on the Mac Pro…(dont remenber well) have u checked any changes in the pcb circuit of the card

haha non of them were juicy, only simple cards without extra PSU connectors, only the PCIE itself. So no juicy…
I also suspect that’s an hardware problem because immediately on boot the fan of the R9 290 starts spinning at a very high RPM rate… (Or that could also indicate a BIOS problem as well?)

That fan spin at high rpm doesn’t mean nothing, its common on many models and nothing to do with mboard, its pure graphics card initialization.
And i do not point for an issue related to mboard bios.
The R9 is a hungry board…whenever possible u should test any other card that requires auxiliary PCIe power to confirm my suspicious, good luck.