Cannot config RAID with multiple Seagate ST8000NM0045

I need a little bit of help…

I have installed three Seagate ST8000NM0045 hard drives and have connected them to the on board SATA ports (0-2).
I am able to see the hard drives from the BIOS panel and I am able to initialize and use them in Windows.
I am unable to see them listed in the Intel RST Option ROM utility. I desire to create a hardware controlled RAID 5.

Here is a bit of info on my system…

Computer: HP Z230 Product No. F1M27UT#ABA
BIOS: HP L51 v01.53 released on 01/13/2016 - RAID mode is enabled
Chipset: Intel C226
Chipset Driver: Intel 10.1.2.8
OS is installed on PCI SSD
Intel RST Option ROM 12.7.0.1936
Intel RST (Windows) 14.8.0.1042

I am not sure if I need to get a dedicated controller card or if I just need to do something different to build my storage RAID. I do not desire to build a software RAID at the moment.
If I need a dedicated controller card, what would be appropriate? I have one PCIe2 x4 (x1) slot and one PCI 32/33 slot available.

Any help is most appreciated!

@BeggMapping :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Questions:
1. Which OS are you running?
2. Did you install the OS in LEGACY (MBR) or UEFI mode (GPT)?
3. Why did you install the Intel RST(e) driver v14.8.0.1042, which does not really match the Intel RAID ROM version of the BIOS?
4. Have the HDDs, which you want to get RAIDed, been used before? If yes, in which sort of configuration?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 - Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.164), this was upgraded from the pre-installed Windows 7 Pro x64 - 6-9 months ago.
I’m not sure how to answer question #2
Intel RST(e) driver v14.8.0.1042 was installed under the advice of HP Enterprise support. When I open the application within Windows the drive reports being only 932GB with unknown status or port location.
The HDDs are brand new. I am able to initialize and use them as single drives within windows. FYI - These are 8TB drives. They show with the correct individual volume size in BIOS and File Explorer.

You will be able to answer this question after having done a look into the Disk Management. If you see an “EFI system partition” (without a drive letter), you have installed the OS in UEFI mode.

Which application and which drive do you mean?

I do have an EFI System Partition without a drive letter - So OS was installed in UEFI mode.

The application that I am referring to is Intel RST. The drive I am referring to is any/all of the new 8TB units.

@BeggMapping :
Thanks for your report and answers.
I suspect either an incompatibility between the Controller, which is managing your PCIe connected SSD, and the on-board Intel RAID Controller or between the Intel RAID driver and the related BIOS module.
Additional questions:
1. Which Controller is managing your PCIe connected SSD and in which mode (AHCI/NVMe) is it running?
2. How did you get access to the Intel RAID Utility (via CTRL+I while booting or from within the UEFI BIOS)?
3. Which version has the UEFI mode Intel RAID Utility (=“Intel Rapid Storage” tab of your UEFI BIOS)?
4. Which is the DeviceID (=DEV_xxxx) of the on-board Intel RAID Controller? To find it out, run the Device Manager, right click onto the Controller and choose the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).

1. Standard SATA AHCI Controller (PCI\VEN_144D&DEV_A800&SUBSYS_A811144D&REV_01\4&342F5C&0&00E4)

2. I can access the Intel RAID Utility via CTRL+I

3. I am not sure I understand this question…

4. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_1905103C&REV_05
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_1905103C
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_010400
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

As a side note…
    If I connect other hard drives to the SATA ports (like a WDC WD2000FYYZ, Seagate ST2000DM001 and a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB) they can be selected for RAID configuration in the Intel Raid Utility

This indicates, that your new Seagate HDDs cannot be correctly managed by the Intel RAID Utility of your mainboard.
Are you sure, that your HDDs can be used with a normal workstation? I have read >here<, that they are designed for the usage with NAS Servers.
I recommend to contact the HP and/or the Seagate Support regarding the compatibility with a “normal” (non-NAS) Intel RAID system.

I currently have an open case with HP Enterprise Support…

Would updating the Intel RST Option ROM to the current version be worth trying, or is that too risky?

Would it be better to purchase a controller card? Any recommendations?