can't flash, need help with modded AMI bios, Notebook Medion/Asus-Board"A35AY" (e6227/MD 98098)

Notebook System:
Win10/64Bit
3th-intel i5-3210M-CPU

Hello guys,

my goal → flash my modded bios with all extra menus enabled, that i can use me eGPU + OC + fun.

01_bios_backup_gui_few_tabs.jpg

What i did:
1. Made a boot-USB with "Rufus".
2. Made a bios-backup.rom with "Universal bios backup toolkit 2.0".
3. Asked the manufacturer for a new update-bios ----> answer/reply was that they have no bios for that old device.
4. Downloaded "aflash3 + .bat" files from the manufacturer-i-site and put it on my boot-USB + my made bios-backup to look if the bios-backup from "Universal bios backup toolkit" runs/is working. Note: renamed bios-backup.ROM to bios-backup.CAP
Result-successful flashed bios-backup.cap with aflash3 + .bat:

02_success flashed bios-backup.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Modded the bios-backup.ROM with AMIBCP v.4.53 with only 1 modification, to see if that change works.

03_AMIBCP_modifications.JPG

2. Saved the changes in AMIBCP and renamed bios-backup.ROM to bios-backup.CAP to flash bios-backup.cap with aflash3 + .bat:
Result-fail Error!! BIOS CheckSum Error

04_fail.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Changed to AFUDOS 4.4 and put bios-backup.ROM + afudos.exe into the boot-usb.
Result-fail Error: BIOS is write-protected

05_write_protect.jpg

1. Reset the cmos (reset bios settings) and replaced the old battery with a new one.

06_cmos_battery.JPG

Result-fail same as above
- Error!! BIOS CheckSum Error
- Error: BIOS is write-protected

1. Changed to AFUDOS 3.06.01 to use command "/GAN"
Result-fail Error: Problem getting flash information.

07_Problem info.jpg

1. Changed to AFUDOS 2.21 to use checksum-neutrality
Result-fail Error: BIOS has no flash information available

11_Error.JPG

1. Changed to UEFITool to remove Asus capsuled and write protected header

08_UEFITool.jpg

Result-fail same as above
- Error!! BIOS CheckSum Error
- Error: BIOS is write-protected
- Error: Problem getting flash information
- Error: BIOS has no flash information available

1. Back to origin/beginning bios-backup.rom from "Universal bios backup toolkit 2.0" and make a different modification method.
2. Made with MMTOOL4.5 a "Setup.ffs" and extracted it with "Universal IFR Extractor0.5".

09_mmtool.jpg

Result- looks different between AMIbcp

10_vs.jpg

I’m glad about any Help. Thank you for your reply.

BIOS + Programs.part1.rar (5.37 MB)

BIOS + Programs.part2.rar (4.08 MB)

@joh9 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Didn’t you know, that the BIOSes of mobile systems usually are protected by the OEM manufacturers to prevent any BIOS modding?
Since I have never flashed a modified notebook BIOS and will never try it (because it is too risky for me), I cannot help you.
Maybe you will get support by someone else.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

No, that was not clear for me. But on e.g bios-mods , there are many modded notebook-bios. How did they do that! :triumph:, Top secret
Thank you, I will hope.

Hello,

I’m using an old version of afudos/afuwin on my Asus N53sn/sv (2.28).

I think the first issue you have is the checksum controlled by the version of afudos you are using (2.28 don’t care about it).
The second can be as Fernando is saying that your bios is write protected for whole upgrade (ie. table structure/ME/GBE/BIOS) but perhaps main BIOS part is ok for flashing with afudos/afuwin (not clear if you are using a full bios image or not)

You can try to extract only the bios part and try to flash only the main bios part.

Last chance would be an spi programmer (I recommand to have one with notebooks in case of bad flash, I wouldn’t have tried the modifications I have made on my N53s if I didn’t have hot air station and spi programmer)

Thank you for you reply, but it shows me "ERROR: BIOS has no flash information available" (see Pic)

Parted Magic i s linux based GUI environment. The tool is flashrom and you can use internal parameters or just see there is also laptop switch. There is also force option, then only size of BIOS file and chip itself matters. Flashrom is standalone tool, but I suggest use Parted Magic, because in GUI you can gather info from internet, if things need more tuning. Please make sure you have untouched backUP of original BIOS if need emergency recovery.

Thank you for your reply, but i dont understand how "Parted Magic" help me with my problem and what i should do with it, in relationship with bios …?

Try Flash Programming Tool instead. (V8 for 3rd gen Core)
Command:
fpt -f bios.rom -bios
REMOVE capsule header before flashing, or you may get a size-mismatch error, or even worse, brick your laptop.

Thank you for your help. That works, but the 10 00 00 10 10 - Methode doesn’t funcion (to unhide “Tabs”). Setup.ffs looks different like my bios. How can i unhide Chipset- & Advanced-Tab?

setupffs.jpg

IMG_20171112_201557.jpg

opend bios.jpg