Ch341a programmer and asprogrammer error

Hello,
i am trying to read the content of a 25q40bw eeprom with a ch341a programmer using asprogrammer software. systematically when reading i have this message :“Number of bytes read not equal to IC size” and the time of reading is very short. More, i am not sure that the displayed content is ok.
Is there somebody who can advice me about this message?
Thank you in advance.
Jeanluc.ferre

W25Q40BW Serial Flash Memory Datasheet

Datasheet

Correct voltage? Try different apps besides ASprogrammer.
IC outside the board? What machine type… provide info as much as possible, users cant guess if its a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner…

most ch341a do not support 1.8v flash, you may need an adapter.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for your answers…
The chips are eeproms of HDD PCB seagate. I tried to read the chip with a clip the ic is on the pcb. I used 1,8v adapter with the ch341a. As the w25q40bw is not in the library list of asprogrammer i selected different chips like 25q40bv or 25q40ew, but always i had the same result with this message :“Number of bytes read not equal to IC size”. I tried to read the eeprom with others applications like neoprogrammer or ch341programmer but i never had a good result.
Thank you if you can give me some advice in order to obtain good results.
jeanluc.ferre

Close… was not a washing machine or vacuum cleaner… but also not the first thing that comes to mind… a desktop/laptop motherboard…so shouldn’t you provided the info on the first place???
You may not have lucky here on this forum regarding HDD flash…
Try the method of this user here

you may would like to try this GitHub - hackpascal/ufprog: Universal Flash Programmer