Changing the bios version number and date. EDIT partial success.

First off I have three Wiwynn open compute servers, two dual socket 2011 cpu boards per server, that the Aptio 4 bios is from back in 2013. Originally the board did not have the microcode for Ivy Bridge cpu’s so up to now I could only use E5-26xx V1 cpu’s.

I Added the Ivy Bridge microcode the the bios and flashed and it boots with V1 cpu’s on one board, I have four E5-2650L V2 cpu’s that I placed a low bid online and won so I should be able to have them to test in a few days and hopefully they will work.

So my question is can I change the bios version number and or date so it’s easier to know which modded bios has been flashed on boot up, with three servers with six motherboards I would like a easy way to track what board has which bios.

I would like to mod/update the bios in steps, say a couple boards running the updated cpu microcode and maybe another board running the updated microcode and mabe an updated nic code or an updated raid and ect, then test them for a few days on one board and that would allow me to test different bios’s on different boards all at the same time.

If i’m able to give the bios’s a different version number or date based on what mod I did to it it would make things a little easier to keep track of.

I could use sticky notes but I am hoping I could just do this since I am already diving into the bios anyway.

Edit: Plus it would be cool to give it a custom version number and a date thats not six years old. And thanks.

Why not update all BIOS with all the latest microcodes, then all BIOS = same/same
But yes, you can change BIOS date/name, some places easier than others. Since you want POST Screen change, do you have flash programmer, or not? It’s not necessary, but that is a more risky module to edit than one that would change the BIOS date/version in windows system info or CPU-z etc

uhu I tried to change the version and date via AMIBCP under BIOS strings and BIOS features tab but nothing happens
Finally I give up because it’s a waste of time and brings no benefit.

I can change for you if you want, what you change in AMIBCP only shows in some places (Where DMI info is polled), so depending on where you check you may not see any changes.

Well I have learned to change one thing at a time, it makes troubleshooting much simpler.

Yes I do have a programmer and spare bios chips.

I run Ubuntu server on them.

Well its not critical for me, just something I would like to do.

@opencomputeguy - I do know what you mean, but what I mentioned would be changing one thing at a time, all microcodes for all boards at once = single mod, and then all same/same and then no need for a date/version/name change BIOS mod.
I can do it all, or in steps if you want, let me know what you want done to what BIOS and link me to either it’s stock BIOS package from manufacturer, or a BIOS region dump via FPT or full dump via programmer.
Please be exact if you link more than one item, let me know if you want all microcodes updated or only certain ones, and if you want name/date changes let me know exactly what you want for each

Well I went ahead and updated everything that I could, cpu microcode and the code for the network chips.

Then flashed and it’s working fine so far, its just I would like to change the date that is shown on the first page in the bios, Currently it shows xx/xx/2013.

I know the date that is displayed is just for information and affects nothing but I would like to learn how to change it, it a silly thing but I feel if I can learn how to mod the bios I can at least make it a little more professional looking with the current date and maybe the version info that the bios was modded by me.

That one, I’m not 100% sure on, it may be pulled from DMI info module, I know it’s not the same one as the POST Screen info.
I can easily change for you the one that shows up in Windows System Info, or what you see in CPU-z motherboard tab or HWINFO, I am not sure if this is same one polled at BIOS screen main page or not.

Also, I have no clue what board or BIOS we are talking here, so everything I’ve mentioned is in “In General” I need to look at the actual BIOS first before I can tell you anything for sure
Once I know how to edit what you want, I will tell and show you how, but interim you may need to test flash a few BIOS I’ve edited so we can see what edit changes what you want changes (unless I have a similar system I can test on here, if I do I’ll just make some changes, test, and then let you know how/where to edit_

Well I finally received my E5-2620 V2 cpu’s and my modded bios does not boot, so the subject of this thread is far down on the priorities now.

Thanks for the help, now I am starting the bios modding all over.

The adding the ivy bridge microcode is on hold for now and I started to play around modding the date and version again.

I can update the .rom with newer sandy bridge microcode for the cpu and update the code for the network chips and it boots fine.

And I was able to change the date and version that shows on the initial bios screen.

Still need to change it in the main bios page since it still shows the old date and version.

Baby steps. LOL