Correct AHCI driver for Intel H310C(R2.0)?

Firstly please excuse any “noobness” with my query but i am new to Intel and right now i think i am going mad.
I know win-raid has Intel drivers but not knowing which one to use i went to Gigabyte and to Intel for the Windows* INF File for AHCI Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver. I need x64. Intel gave me DriverVer=07/31/2019,15.9.8.1050, Gigabyte gave me DriverVer=02/07/2018,16.0.2.1086. I installed 07/31/2019,15.9.8.1050 and it seems to work fine. How the dink can the newer version(by date) have a lower version number than the old version(by date)? Is it my “noobness” where i missed something or am i going mad? Intel Driver & Support Assistant reports “no software updates are available”.

@moop :
The latest driver is not always the driver with the highest version number.
Example: The currently latest Intel AHCI/RAID driver belongs to the RST(e) v15 platform and is v15.9.8.1050 dated 07/31/2019, whereas the driver with the currently highest version number belongs to the RST v17 platform and is v17.5.2.1024 dated 07/08/2019.
These are the reasons of such discrepencies:

1. Intel is working simultaneously on different RST(e)/RST platforms or development branches and the lower version is earlier ready for being delivered than the higher version.
  2. Certain drivers of an older platform or development branch do not properly work with the latest Windows version and the chipset manufacturer decides to restart the development of a new driver, which belongs to the old platform/branch.
The latter reason is valid for the recent release of the RST(e) driver v15.9.8.1050. According to Microsoft many Intel RST(e) drivers, which belong to the v15 platform and were released in 2016/2017, are faulty and prevent the Win10 update to v1903. That was the reason for Intel to re-open the development of new and bug free v15 platform RST(e) drivers.

Ok @Fernando , thank you :slight_smile: 15.9.8.1050 installed and works but it doesnt mention my H310 by name in the txt and pdf release notes on its page. The next test install i do on this i will add the driver from gigabyte then see what intel driver assistant reports. or just stick to msahci, i saw a dell laptop that ran msahci and if its good enough for them,

@moop :
Your specific chipset is not mentioned within the iaStorAC.inf file, because the Intel SATA RAID Controllers of all Intel Chipset systems from ICH8R up (except the C600/C600+ Series) have the same external DeviceID DEV_2822.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest, when in doubt, ask the cow

What i will do is go through the makers sites and see what ahci/rst drivers they are listing for their C(R2.0) boards and see if i can link to it in my signature.

@moop :
Relevant for the choice of the “best” AHCI driver is the mainboard and its chipset, not the CPU, the disk drives or the RAM modules.
You can find some tips >here< at the bottom of the start post.