Dell Precision Tower 7810 BIOS Problems

Hi I have recently got a Dell Precision Tower 7000 Series (7810) dual processor 2630v3 I have been scanning these forums and other site to try and figure out how to unlock the cpu for the multiplier and turbo
Currently I have tried about 4 different ways I have found one of them the Phoenix tools was infected with a virus and had to wipe the system to fresh.
I have throttle stop I can adjust voltages and can hit 3.2 but on load the multiple goes back to 26 and sits a 2.59ghz

So I need to unlock it.

I have got to the point of removing 06f2 from the bios file and saving it but I’m not sure I’m doing it right. I can’t seam to repackage it back to the exe for dell bios

What other suggestions do you have I don’t have a flasher

I would like to do it myself if possible but if someone is able to help me with the bios it would be great.

Not sure what bios to use I’m currently on A01 and the newest one is A34

Thanks in advance just left windows and made the switch to Ubuntu got 128gb ddr4 ram in this beast really looking forward to unleashing all the horses

4 different ways…Phoenix, throttle stop and removing 306f2…
3 or 4???

Now were talking of a C612 chipset and Dual Processor system… this is not a desktop motherboard, single Xeon with a X79/99 (Some user reports in the forum), its a bit hard to achieve your goals…
But this is only my opinion…
Now why no curiosity in testing, at least till A11 versions of the bios updates available?
Carefull and read it very well, past the A12 you cant downgrade it…
Usually, performance and settings have changes in these new files as also new micro codes updates like in the A07.
Micro codes can affect, visible or not, some performance in the system, worst or better…we never know, they are supposed to fix flaws, corrections etc, not to please your “mood” for OC or better performance and even less on server/workstations machines.
Now… about unlocks… you mean hidden bios options? Only if avaiable in the code…
Some users also get pleased when using older and/or new mcodes, this is now problem to find. Some also found that ME firmware had a part in it.
Can the system bios be dumped/mod etc…
With all this remains “If you need to flash a mod bios…can it go wrong and break my system?” Definetly YES, this is always present and users should take care of their investment as no one can assure you success in any of the previous operations described.
An SPI programmer is not so expensive…again this is only opinion, good luck.

When I got it I went to A32 bios and managed to downgrade it to A01 again I’m trying to unlock the multiplier and turbo boost
Are you saying only way is with flasher?

“BIOS version A11 and earlier releases are incompatible with Intel Xeon E5-16xx and 26xx-v4 CPUs (Broadwell). It is recommended that you downgrade BIOS to version A11 before downgrading from version A12 and later. This process is due to some significant changes required to enable v4 (Broadwell) CPUs. Also, along with that it enables Xeon E5-16XX and 26XX v3 (Haswell) CPUs and v4 (Broadwell) CPUs BIOS to stay in one BIOS stream. All versions of the Broadwell CPU enabled BIOS (A12+) understand how to migrate the Haswell settings. There are no upgrade restrictions.”

This is the Dell statement and you got an Haswell… what else can i say.
Changes are made after A12, not dedicated to Haswell line?
Only with an SPI programmer… no i didn not said that, other methods to try if the system allows it, Dell own flasher (Usually they dont allow flash mod bios files), Flash override jumper, FPT tool… But why not one (SPI P) at hand… do you how to recover the system in “another” safe way if it fails? Thats it…

“I’m trying to unlock the multiplier and turbo boost”
This is not as easy as you think… seems that all that i wrote was a blink in the eye for you…seems that you’re not familiar with this kind of operations and all the issues/work around… You dont even know how to analyse your system bios code/structure/vars/strings… i may be wrong, have you dumped/extracted the system bios yet, checked available options in it? My advice is to read a bit more to get a picture of the issues/work when some one desire what want to achieve.
Over_n_out.

Like I said I have got to the point of repacking back into the exe file with the modified bios with the microcodes removed just can’t replace it

I’m not sure what you mean about all the different versions I went from 01-30 ran rough downgraded back to 01 using 12 then 11 and finally 01

hi all i have got a dump from my dell 7810 from a spi flasher im trying to work out what is best to do with the bios can i remove region setting and is there any extra menus i can enable im going to be removing the microcode 06F2 for my xeons turbo
i cant share the file but if someone wants to have a look i will put on dropbox

thanks
dell.zip (7.3 MB)

just realised all my bios mod tools are on the 7810 and i have none on my laptop lol

So to update I managed to remove the microcode 062f and reflagged the bios chip no issues computer boots up I see v3 turbo all cores pop up.
Now can’t boot into windows can select boot options and now trying the win 10 cd to recover

If anyone wants how I did it I’ll take pictures
But in essence
Bought a 8 pin ic clip and jumper leads
Used raspberry pi spi gpio pins
And a lot of praying to the silicon gods

So now I can’t get past bios says invalid config time date wrong
So I enter setup change time and date then reboot and black screen
Clear cmos using rtsjumper and I get video back and setup screen

Going to try and flash original bios back and see if that fixes it

Any advice seam to be going round in circles here

After restored bios, look for ME service jumper, put in service mode and use the Intel FPT tool from the correct ME package tools and make a full spi dump and a bios region, restore the ME jumper, work the mods on the bios region, flash again with FPT tool the mod, if it fails you need to set the jumper back to service mode, this jumper must be set to default setting for a normal working state of the system after flashing ONLY the mod bios region.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/me-analyzer-intel-engine-firmware-analysis-tool-discussion

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/intel-converged-security-management-engine-drivers-firmware-and-tools-2-15

EDIT: The steps i provide still can be done when you have the machine back as original function.
No ME jumper but still can work, all depends if the tool can read/write the spi regions.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/guide-unlock-intel-flash-descriptor-read-write-access-permissions-for-spi-servicing

Dell system/and or specific Dell motherboards has it own way of recover the system bios, its your task to search for it on Dell documentation, the SPI programmer is the last resource when everything else fails or to froce a mod flash.

hi thanks for your reply
unfortunately i don’t have service mode jumpers on the motherboard its a dell 7810
do i still need to do the ME if im flashing the chip?

im now stuck in the dell automatic repair tried win 10 usb but it crashed before it loaded.

thanks for the help bud.

hey so i couldn’t get past dell loading screen on custom bios so flashed to original dell a34 its boots into windows and then i just found this im assuming thats what you meant

Yes, thats the FPT tool operation, reading ONLY… a simple write method to test:

Dumping: ftp -bios -d biosreg.bin then testing the write access: fpt -bios -f biosreg.bin

If successful, you know that you can write the in the spi.
Carefull, this tool doesnt care what we told it to flash…it doesnt care if its a correct/mod/corrupted image.
Learn the tool cmds/options.
Note that this tool is not the proper tool to update ME FWs, just to clarify that all i referred was due to a mod request and flash, not ME related.

EDIT: What i verified is an updated mcode and you had removed an old mcode revison 38 and also removed the 06F2…now my friend, from this on, im not here to assure you nothing more concerning the success or failure of the system, these are user choice only and their own risks… after all, this mod world.
Good luck.

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space! damm

can you check this file to make sure i have done it right please
dellmod.rar (3.8 MB)

thanks im gonna try it again

So I flashed the bios chip via my raspberry pi all went ok.
It took a few attempts to boot but made into windows did a dump via ftpw in windows checked with mmtools micro code 06f2 has been removed.
Patched the efi with the turbo unlocked mod
Booted into windows all 32 cores turbo.

Thanks for your help

Glad you made it, cheers.

Only managed it on one processor now to figure the second one out