Dell Optiplex 7010 Micro 13Th Gen (2024) Intel AMT enable

Here is another pic of the chip

How do I go about reading the chips?

Should I boot off a USB with FreeDOS and download the CSME System Tools?

I have created the FreeDos USB using Rufus USB imager. Downloaded the CSME tools and extracted them to the USB.

Is there a link/doc I can read to understand what I need to do etc…

Ok, so my bios doesnt allow legacy boot mode, so I need to figure out how to boot from USB in UEFI mode and allow Freedos to work

So I found an old version of Intel CSME which has linux commands

I ran the command

./FTP -d spi.bin

Got the following output.

033]0[root@p02 LINUX64]# ./FPT -d spi.bin
Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool Version: 14.5.25.1229
Copyright (C) 2005 - 2020, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Error 621: Unsupported hardware platform. HW: Alder Lake Platform. Supported HW: Intel(R) CometLake V Series Chipset.

So I am guessing I needed a new version of the tool.

Thats correct…you used v14 and your platform is Alder Lake v16

What you need is to know, is your own hardware… and not engage wrong tools/actions.
Tools like HWinfo and Aida64 can be used, providing almost every information of the platform.

So, I gave up on trying to get the tools to work on Linux - You can create a Windows Live boot USB using WinToUSB ([Official] Best Free Windows To Go Creator Wizard Helps Create Portable Windows 11/10/8/7!)

Then I just used the windows version of the tools.

@MeatWar

I managed to get HWInfo output see screenshot below:

I also created a report which provides all the details (see HTML/PDF (zip file) ) - Link provided as I am a new user I cannot upload a zip file :frowning_face:

Lastly, I ran the FPT command again, the output this time was:

Its not surprise at all… this is a branded OEM system and a lot of them have SPI access locked for preventing firmware modifications/security.

So this forces lot of users to try the CH341A programmer or similar.
Some ICs, even have to be de-soldered for reading/programming.
Your not the first with this situation and definitely not the last one…

Here’s an identical situation like yours on a Dell 7080

EDIT: I don’t need any dumps as i do not intend to lose my time with these or any other similar issue. I helped you and pointed you the way/tools, that’s it.
I did not offer myself to solve your issue.

Just came across that link - as I was searching the forums.

So I ran the commands described in that link:

Here are the screenshot outputs

fptw64.exe -i

and then I ran the command

fptw64.exe -DESC -d FD.bin

That gave me the following output

The bin file is located: FD.bin - Google Drive

I should also ask, would this kit be the correct one to purchase?

along with this:

Just out of curiousity- which chip would you want to read with the 16 pin SOIC clip?

I read on a different post that the system bios was a 16pin.

However based on the images above, that doesn’t seem the case.

So could I get away with the 8pin only?

Which chips do you want to dump?

I was told these two are the bios

Have a look into this other thread:

ok, so it seems I need to get teh programmer (cheapest one being the CH341A) and use that to dump the bios. Then work from there.

My Programmer arrived today.

I have found the chips data online:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/GigaDevice/GD25B256EYIGR?qs=81r%252BiQLm7BQe4bjq6ARWAA%3D%3D

and

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/GigaDevice/GD25B128ESIGR?qs=81r%252BiQLm7BSMDdXEefanlA%3D%3D

This second one I am not sure about, the actual chip has the numbe 25B128ESIG (No R at the end). I have included a picture of both chips.

Need to figure what software to use to get a dump.

You need to read all the links i posted in order to LEARN FORM IT, then you wont need to repeat yourself and posting the same info you already did.

The CH341A device works with many available apps out there. Some do have the ICs on their database, some don’t, some likes to work with some boards/ics, others don’t.

I posted the guides links, the original IC manufacturer links and what kind of ICS you have in order to purchase the correct interface clips for each IC, WSON8 and SOP8.

Had to install drivers for CH341A programmer:
https://github.com/vladikoms/CH341A/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

Download the latest version of ASProgrammer here:

I have taken two extrackts from ONE chip: 25B128ESIG

I can’t seem to extract from the top CHIP: GD25B256EYIGR

@snake007uk Your efforts interested me a lot bro. I have a 2022 Optiplex 7000SFF and it has the same ICs as yours except 32MB one. Mine is 25R256EFIR 16 pin SOP . If you succeed I have intention to go the same route with you.
Maybe you’re not aware of how valuable your efforts are. Nobody wants to deal with newer Dell Optiplexes’ BIOS modifications. Everybody think that Dell machines especially newer ones are devilmade.
I very thank you for your efforts and courage about this.

@Tosgaba

Thank you for the encouragement. I will try and post up a summary once I am done. Right now, I think i need another clip/probe for the WSON8 chip as i dont think the probe I have is connecting to the pins properly.

If I had a desoldering station I might have tried to remove it and do it that way.

Ill keep posting my progress.

1 Like

So i found a useful video.

The one Bios dump file I got, I can use MFIT tool which is part of the CSE 16 to decompose the bios file

Youtube video here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZPfE6fbgMA)

I will need to wait for the other probe to arrive so I have both bios before proceeding.