Dell Precision T5500 not recognising 4TB Harddisk

Hi guys,

I hope I am posting at the right forum. I recently bought a old Dell Precision T5500. I upgrade the second hard disk 4TB. However Window 7 only recognize the new hard disk as 1677.9GB. I have update to the latest BIOS and Intel Rapid Storage. It shows the correct size when the machine is booting up. But Win7 just don’t recognize the full capacity.

What can I do now? I am not as technical as most of the people here. It will be great if you can provide me a step by step instruction to solve this.

Thanks heaps!
Moifa

Post printscreen of CrystalDiskInfo of your new HDD.
http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?pro…nfoInstaller-en

Although Fernando knows these things better, your current latest BIOS (v16) can be extracted with PhoenixTool and it includes:

oROM: v10.8.0.1303
Size: 119KB

@ moifa:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Not really, because your problem has nothing to do with the Intel AHCI/RAID drivers.

Your currently installed Windows doesn’t detect the complete size of the 4 TB HDD, because it has been installed by the Legacy mode installation method using the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition scheme.
Solution: Do a fresh OS installation in UEFI mode. This way your OS Setup will use the GUID Partition Table (GPT), which supports >2 TB sized HDDs.
For further details please look >here<.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I see. Does this explain my previous 3TB pre-formatted HD with exFAT as a secondary hd crashed about few hours of copying and moving?

I have tried PartitionMagic, Stellar Phoenix, nothing can recover the table. I am still in the process of painfully recover some of the data by using EaseUS.

Thanks for replying so quick.

Power on/Restart the computer and then start tapping the F2 key when Dell Logo appears, the machine will enter System Setup.
On the first page that appears see if there is a Hard Drive listed next to Fixed HDD.
If the Hard Drive is not listed press F9 key and Load the BIOS Defaults and then restart the computer.
If you again get the Hard Drive not detected message, take a technician’s help to reset the Hard Drive(if you wish to do it yourself you can refer to the Dell Precision T5500 Manual)
After resetting if the Hard Drive is not detected again, you need to replace the Hard Drive.

@joberty :

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)