[Discussion] Firmware for Asmedia Sata 6G Controllers

Usually the applicability of a ROM module doesn’t depend on the chipset of the mainboard, but just on the DeviceID of the related Controller.
Nevertheless there seem to be 2 different sorts of ASMedia 106x AHCI Controllers with the DeviceID DEV_0612, an older and a newer one. Maybe you are lucky and the new ASMedia AHCI ROM v3.70 works for your Z87 system.
Best wishes
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Maybe the 3.70 is working as it should, an is supposed not to popup the utility while booting?
Or is it perhaps older than 0.954 as were the 3.02??

No, it has definitively been compiled this year.

Hmm, I will try it then too, but do not expect more success than you had. There was no “popup” with 3.02 either, and it also didn’t work right for me too.
Maybe it is then meant for the controllers on a PCIe, or just newer versions like you think? Who knows…

have suggested that the version 3.õõ for new chips, such as ASM-1061A (similar USB 3.0 ASM-1042/1042A) or ASM-1062.

Edit: Although the official website makes no mention of possible new chips 106x.

It is fine, that you succeeded.
What exactly have you done?

Hey Fernando,

sorry I didn’t answer before. Somehow missed your post. I’m trying to explain everything step by step, as there might be inexperienced users who cannot follow otherwise - I hate it when instructions are exclusive.
So here is what I did to update the firmware version of my Asmedia-106x-Sata3-USB3-PCIe-Card:

1) First you need to make a bootable USB-Stick using "ubbe" ("ultimate bios boot edition).

For doing that download the file bios/ubbe.zip from here:
http://www.biosflash.de/download.htm?PHP…l=bios/ubbe.zip

Note: The stick that you’re going to use should be under 1 GB of size. Larger sticks might not be formattable in the right format.

Click the file and then click “Save file”.

Go to your download direction (in Firefox, Nightly and Waterfox you may simply click the downward arrow on the top right, next to the search field of your browser and then click the folder symbol on the right of the file you just downloaded).

Hold right-click and drag the file to your desktop. [You can put it wherever you want, but I’m explaining it this way, just have the file a location everyone will find in further steps.]

Right-click and click "extract all" which unzips the archive.
Double-click the unzipped folder that just appeared and navigate to -> "Ultimate BIOS Boot Edition" -> "boot_usb_stick".

[As the text document in that folder says the folder "usbdos" contains 3 hidden files. You don’t need to make them visible though for what we want to do.]

Right-click "HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool v2.2.3" and click "run as an administrator". When prompted the confirmation click "yes".

In the "HP_USB_Disk_Storage_Format_Tool" select your USB-stick under “Device”. Be careful that you don’t select any other device than your USB-stick by accident, as all data on the device you select will be deleted in the following steps!

Under “File System” choose FAT32 if possible. If not, go with FAT.

Whatever you type under “Volume Label” will be the name of the stick. You can also leave that as it is, then your stick will be named “stick”.

Under “Format options” check “Quick Format” and “Create a DOS startup disk using system files located at:”. [These files are our 3 hidden system files in the “usbdos”-folder.]
To navigate to the needed files click the three dots on the right next to the blank field.
“Desktop” (at the very top) will already be expanded. Click the arrow on the left to the folder “ubbe”. Do the same with the folders "Ultimate BIOS Boot Edition" and "boot_usb_stick". Click on the folder “usbdos” to select it. Click “OK”.
Double-check if everything is set up correctly and then click “Start” to format the USB-stick.
A warning will appear. Click “Yes”, as you made sure before that you didn’t select the wrong device.

2) Second off you need to download the firmware for the card

Go to http://station-drivers.com/index.php/dow…-6G-Controller/
Click the English flag at the top of the site.
At the very bottom you’ll find the captions “Drivers” and “Firmware”.
Click “Firmware”.
For me the version 0951 worked out just fine. Therefore I recommend you download this version. To do that click on download on the very right.
When the download window appears click “Save file”.
Go to your download direction (again: In Firefox, Nightly and Waterfox you may simply click the downward arrow on the top right, next to the search field of your browser and then click the folder symbol on the right of the file you just downloaded).

The downloaded file has the extension .exe but still it is archived.
To extract it you’ll need a program like 7zip.

(I recommend you use that very program downloadable here:
32-Bit Version: http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_download…7c1c3c1a13c9b10
64-Bit Version: http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_download…dacea79c00eaeec)

If you’re not sure whether you have an 32 or an 64-Bit operating system, just go with the 32-Bit version which will work on both.

After you downloaded and installed 7zip right click the file “asmedia_asm106x_firmware_N0951(www.station-drivers.com)”, move the mouse over “7zip” and click “Extract files”. Click “OK”.
A folder “asmedia_asm106x_firmware_N0951(www.station-drivers.com)” will appear.
Double-click it and then double-click “N0951”.
Press ctrl+a to select all files.
Press ctrl+c to copy all files.

Go to start. Go to “Computer” and double-click your USB-stick (which either has the name you have given it during the format process or is named “stick” if you didn’t type any name).
[Under windows 8 search for “This PC” click it and double-click your USB-stick from there]

Press ctrl+v to paste the copied files.
Now you’re done preparing your stick.

3) Flash the firmware

Make sure you don’t have your USB-stick in your Asmedia 106x card, but in an ordinary USB-port of your PC. Otherwise you won’t be able to boot from the stick.

Restart your PC.

In most cases you will be able to press a certain key before windows starts in order to enter a boot menu. In my case it is the “F12” key.
Select “USB device”.

[If you don’t get that option restart your PC and enter the “Bios”. There will surely be an option appearing like “Enter Bios” or more likely “Enter setup” showing which key you have to press. If that’s not the case either, try the keys “esc”, “del” and “F2”.
In your Bios look for an option called “boot sequence” or “boot priority” and make your USB-stick the highest priority. In the Bios main menu save the changes and exit. In most cases that is the F11 key.]

Now you’ll be able to enter commands.
If you want, first type “dir” to show all files on your stick.
Type “ahci.bat” or “ide.bat” for either the ahci or the ide version of the driver.
In most cases you’ll want the ahci version (otherwise I wouldn’t understand why you want to update in the first place).
Press "Enter".
When the flashing tool is done restart your computer by pressing ctrl+alt+esc.

In case you changed your boot priority in the previous step make sure to give your hdd the highest priority again in your bios.
If you entered a boot menu without opening the bios leave everything as it is. Just don’t choose to boot from the stick this time – simply do nothing.

That’s it.

All the best
Philip

hi guys

i have controller pci express delock 89299 I tried to flash the chip asmedia 106x by usb dos with latest 3.70 firmware on station driver but flash fail
now at start the card not display nothing.
please help me

Have you already read the instructions written by Phil_Smith (post #66)?
If you should not succeed, I recommend to ask the ASMedia Support for help.

Have you already read the instructions written by Phil_Smith (post #66)?
If you should not succeed, I recommend to ask the ASMedia Support for help.

yes I have created bootable usb stick 4gb put the firmware file and launched ahci.bat.

Now the PC does not detect the card more.

another ask guys

on station driver there are 3 version of firmware for asmedia 106x

in the version 0951 and 302 i find also binary file

instead in the version 370 binary file is not present there are only *.rom files.

where Can i find firmware version 370 binary file ?

Here:

ASMedia-106x_AHCI-ROM_DEV-0612_v3.70.rar (20.3 KB)

please help me to search eprom for flash.

seems to me the one I circled

I can not read the chip

and I do not know if my ID-hardware is 611 or 612 then I go on the safe side and i try to flash firmware 0951 unsoldering the eprom

If the ASMedia SATA Controller is shown within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, you can check the exact DeviceID by doing a right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".

If the ASMedia SATA Controller is shown within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, you can check the exact DeviceID by doing a right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".

thanks for your support but my card does not boot because it failed the flash

I have to re flash it unsoldering and reprogram the chip with a programmer

do you think that the EPROM is the one I have marked in the previous pictured?

I am sorry, but I don’t know, where the EPROM is situated on your PCI card.

That is most likely the firmware location. But if you have a programmer, just dump the content and inspect it or uploaded here. If your programmer can’t read the chip, then I would think twice before trying to write something on it.

By the way, you should most likely go for 0.951 or 0.954. Firmware 3.02 and 3.70 seem to be built for PCIe SSD. Just check this page and scroll a bit. You will find this image.

ok

but i dont know which chip read

do you know ?

i have posted a pictures of pcb card in the previous reply

do you have a binary for programmer 0.951 or 0.954 ?

thank for reply

best regards

The one you circled has the higher chance. But try to read it first and upload the dump. We will see from there.

i have dumped file original (but before i have tried flash with spi by pc usb boot with error ) and tray to flash bin of station driver that i attach here with programmer

see you

106N0951.zip (19.8 KB)

dump.zip (20.1 KB)

I don’t understand your above post. Could you make it clearer, using a definition for each file?

- 106N0951.bin seems to be the same file as found in asmedia_asm106x_0.951.7z from Station-Drivers. This is the OROM for ASM1061, even though it is labelled as firmware. Was this taken from Station-Drivers or by some other way?
- dump.bin is the same as ahci0951.rom from SD, plus padding. I guess this was taken with the programmer. You have found your chip. Is this the image currently on the card?