[Discussion] Firmware Update of the Marvell 91xx SATA Controller

@Nuc_eoN

Do you mean that Marvell controller is not accessible anymore from within main BIOS, Ctrl+M, or both? You should reset BIOS to defaults and maybe also clear CMOS, even disable Marvell controller for a while - if you have that option. Since this firmware update has worked for others, I suspect there is a communication problem with your mainboard. The PATA problem mirrors the bug Gaudi encountered with his board, which could point to Marvell or ASRock being responsible for this one. I’m not sure what Gaudi selected in the end, but you can read his posts to decide. The field “Maximum PD per Adapter” was already reported <here>. Either Marvell was too optimistic in the first place, or it is a typo in one of the cases. Other than that, you still have some leftovers from previous firmware. If the configuration bug is not solved with toggling settings and resetting, you can try to erase the chip before flashing. This can be done with “go -e”, then immediately after success flash with “go”. DON’T reboot in between, the controller might disappear for good.

Marv_Dump_new.png

@pezku

The construction seems to be the same as with the image from SD, but there is a subtle difference in Autoload. Having a second sample for comparison, it would seem that inner Firmware and possible Loader is not needed for non-RAID controllers, at least for 92xx series. What I can say for sure is that Autoload is needed and is a critical component. Beyond that, Marvell’s mercy!

Marv_Dump_9235.png

Although the Autoload is at the same version as with the images I have uploaded, there are two fields missing, one of them containing the ID of the controller. I’m not sure why they were removed (your card has generic 1B4B-9235 ID, it shouldn’t have made a difference for the second field with ID, probably only the first field is the key), why they use the same version for different Autoloads. I don’t think it has something to do with onboard/external, because I have samples from both sides, they are identical. Yet another Marvell mystery.

Entering the Marvell controller with the combo Ctrl+M has only been possible with the old Bios version 1.0. With v1.70 (or some version in between) ASRock has removed this "feature". I did appreciate that change since it impacted my boot positively. So with Bios version 1.70 I can only enter the Marvell utility from inside the Bios.
However as I said, this seems to be broken since the flash.

Thanks, I have now erased the image prior to flashing as you’ve suggested, and reset the CMOS. It did not help. Unfortunately my Bios doesn’t give me the option to disable the Marvell controller neither.
But isn’t the fact strange that the flashing leaves "old chunks"of the old firmware? How can this happen? Are the new images smaller than my old one?

Again I attached the new flash image which got read out using "go -r".

Maybe it’s specific to my mobo. I remember it being the first SATA3 ready mobo from ASRock, so it’s also the oldest.

IMAG_RB.rar (117 KB)

The image is cleaned now. I don’t know how the junk appeared, as the components have fixed offsets in chip and dump image. Maybe the small image you flashed (or was flashed by OEM) had wrong offsets.

Marv_Dump_new.png

I don’t know if I can fix your issue, as it clearly stands on ASRock’s shoulders. They have been nice before with other users, even with old boards (unlike other OEMs), maybe you can ask a fix from them. There is also the possibility to flash an older firmware, like 2.2.0.1125 from Station-Drivers. The image is cleaned and appropriate for onboard controllers.

Marv_SD.png

Hi All,

I’ve SYBA SI-PEX40071 8-port SATA III PCIe External Controller (de facto it is a IO CREST IO-PCE9705-8I - 8-port SATA III PCIe External Controller).

I’ve tried to flash its Firmware to Marvell MV-92xx SATA 6G Controller Firmware Version 2.3.1063 from station-drivers.com.

The flash program said that everything went OK. After that I’ve switched OFF and then ON the PC and the controller presence was no more detected. Even by the BIOS. The Controller seems completely DEAD for the PC system!

Any suggestions?

Regards,
mswg

@lordkag Is there a Marvell image for the Marvell flasher that has the ID corrected for the 9128 external card? When I updated the ID changed from 9128 to 9123 would like to change it back. Thanks

@mswg

It says it is based on 88SE9705 (i.e. 9705) non-RAID controller, which I’m pretty sure needs a different firmware. If you don’t have a backup somewhere, it is impossible to produce an Autoload from thin air. The inner Firmware is not needed for non-RAID controllers, the ROM is possible not needed (I don’t have one either way), the Loader might not make a difference. But the Autoload is crucial.

@lurch228

If you would stop and read the posts that are in this very page and previous one, you would know that the ID change is normal and recommended, you wouldn’t ask the same question over and over again in different threads and PM.

hey how yuo know what the difference is in the 9123 or 9128? from what i heard, there isnt a 9128. just a 9123 right? So a 9128 is the driver it is. whatever driver for the 9128 that makes a 9123 thats not one, a 9128 is what a 9128 is, just the driver. So, in the files you have to update for a marvell chip, which one runs 9128? or what does, a 9128 do?

@mrtrishterd

“Master, forgive me for being lazy and not noticing your posts earlier, forgive us, all your slaves for being such putrid slow machines during the holidays! I shall go and destroy myself, I hope the rest of the world will soon follow me into eternal shame.” Seriously now, do you think that by registering to a forum you are entitled to an answer, you are entitled to eternal gratitude? If someone has an answer, it will be written. If no answer is given, you still don’t have any right or reason to complain, this is not a support tech forum for a product you paid. And I seriously doubt they will put up with such behaviour either.

Do you call <this> or <this> questions? I call them random noise. What is your question in that maze, what does IDE, TRIM, X58 ICH10R, SATA2 and the rest have to do with this topic? The only question related to this topic is “9123 vs 9128 vs …”, which was answered no further <than here>, among the many times it has been brought up. For the rest of your “questions”, I simply don’t give a damn: they are not part of this topic, they are not related to each other (you just cheated, trying to get as many answers as possible), your attitude has zero respect for this forum and its members.

@lordkag

No, but its easy for you to just sit on a forum and insult people right?

"For the rest of your “questions”, I simply don’t give a damn: they are not part of this topic, they are not related to each other (you just cheated, trying to get as many answers as possible), your attitude has zero respect for this forum and its members.

you are entitled to eternal gratitude? If someone has an answer, it will be written. If no answer is given, you still don’t have any right or reason to complain, this is not a support tech forum for a product you paid. And I seriously doubt they will put up with such behaviour either."

All your comments, quoted. wooooowww man. you can speak of money then insult me and stuff. thats about all this boils down too.
and another thing to add to this, i dont understand anything on this forum. and i came here not knowing anything about anything. there are no leads here only dead ends.

TAKe for example @gaudi topic they had. whatever came of that? they blew it up they done something else. whatever happened? i cant tell. then random other people come in and ask other stuff and you randomnly give them bits of information. Nothing is put togetherable here. I dont know anything, you havent even addressed me. your saying id be kicked out of a paid forum but im not mentioning it, a paid forum but you are. I’m not even on one. I wouldnt pay you to tell me help anyway. I got on the internet to help other people and to help myself. I have put some useful information here, but havent gotten any input. You’ll use that to your benefit though, wont you.

@mrtrishterd

Who is the one insulting, Bozo? It took you ten days of brewing just to quote my answer and provide nothing in return, not even a documented case of my rude attitude. I don’t understand the “money” reference, has anyone on this forum asked you anything? What I said was “this is not a support tech forum for a product you paid”, which means you are not entitled to any answer. This is true for all user supported forums, not just this one. When I write a question on forums such as this one, I don’t expect others rushing in to provide an answer; I just wait a few days and move to another if no answer is given, simple as that. Your entire attitude can be summarized by one quote: “i dont understand anything on this forum”. You have no valid questions, you have no helpful details, you have no knowledge - all you have is the firm believe that someone here must fix a problem that either you or Marvell caused it.

Do you see anyone else complaining that no help is given to them? Do you see anyone else trying to help them? I put my time and knowledge to assist users, even when the issue is caused by them. What I asked in return was specific details as a starting point (type of card, Marvell controller ID, chip ID, a dump of the original firmware) and further informations (screenshots, Device Manager IDs, behaviour) to help debugging process. What have you offered from those? All I see is: SATA, IDE, AHCI, RAID, SATA, slower write speed, Intel, SATA, IDE, “Y U no help? Waah! Waah!”, SATA, IDE, SATA, SATA, SATA… Contrary to what you believe, if you browse the two Marvell threads, you will see quite a few people who received help for their Marvell issues, in the limits set by Marvell’s quality and design. You know what is the difference between them and you? It’s your attitude, Bozo! And one last thing: your grammar sucks! If mine is rusty, yours is dead in the water.

^^^ Now that’s what I would call insulting!

@Fernando

I don’t have enough patience and resources to help users who expect an answer like it is their God given right. I simply refuse to help someone with the above attitude. If someone has a magic wand to solve all their problems, so be it. But I am done with this user, I don’t have the time to argue with “knows it none, expects it all” type of users.

@mrtrishterd:

Zitat von Gast im Beitrag #269
i dont understand anything on this forum. and i came here not knowing anything about anything. there are no leads here only dead ends.
If you have read the content of the "Welcome" box at the Portal site, you should know, that this Forum has been primarily designed for advanced users, not for newbees.
You obviously are not satisfied with the support given by the experts of this Forum. My advice: Ask your questions somewhere else.

@lordkag :
I totally understand your point of view. We are spending a lot of time while writing guides and trying to answer questions, but nobody should force us to do give our support instantly and in a desired manner.
EDIT: Since mrtrishterd didn’t stop his off-topic discussion about the quality of the Forum and its support, I have banned him. If you want, I will delete the last posts. Please let me know which ones.

Interesting reading

any idea if we can cross flash 9230 and 9235 firmware somehow

i dont actually use the onboard raid on my 9230 but use the port multipliers

on the marvell 9230 i have

Max Port Multipliers = 1
Maximum PD Per Adapter = 7

I did actually e-mail syba asking if they did a device with more Multipliers and they said no
guess they didnt check

Would be nice if i could get it like the 9235 below without having to buy another card

I don’t know how many 9230’s are still alive in the world but I cannot stop posting…

I found the newest firmware for 9230 Rev. A1 & A2 at StarTech PEXSAT34RH product site.
https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/…EXSAT34RH#dnlds

BIOS: 1.0.0.1024
Firmware: 2.3.0.1065
Boot Loader: 2.1.0.1008

I tried to update 9230 on my P9X79-E WS and works fine.

Also I could have more operations on MSU (Marvell Storage Manager) 4.1.0.2027 by mod described at ASRock forum.
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?..o-seveice#12680

I could just find the three operations but now the new four operations, Update, Backup, AES Port Management and AES Entry Management also can be found.
This mod should be only for HyperDuo so I believe all the new operations are because of the newest Firmware.
Now I can backup and restore the current settings, BIOS, firmware and Boot Loader by Backup and Update operations.
I don’t try AES operations so I have no idea if it works or not.|addpics|adh-3-4476.png-invaddpicsinvv|/addpics|

Hi lordkag,
you seem to have a pretty good understanding of the Marvell rom.

I have a Highpoint Rocket 640L card with a 9230 chip, revision A0 and I’ve got hold of a update pack (attached) with the following versions of the bios, firmware and so on (the link was provided in the post above).

PACKAGE VERSION[0xFFFFFFFF]: 2.3.0.1063
AUTOLOAD VERSION[0x00000000]: 200018
LOADER VERSION[0x0000C000]: 21001008
BIOS VERSION[0x00020000]: 1.0.0.1024
FIRMWARE VERSION[0x00030000]: 2.3.0.1065

But the update is intended for the A1 revision of the chipset. The package includes a lot of the files for making an image file, but when looking at the "Run_Generating_RAWImage.bat" file I see that the following line is commented out:
rem al_tran_win32.exe -if AL_CFG.TXT -ob autoload.bin

Is the autoload.bin required by the A0 revision of the chipset to work well? And the even though both an ImageA0.bin and an ImageA1.bin is included, will the ImageA0.bin work for card with revision A0 of the 9230 chipset?
The al_trans_win32.exe is not included in the package.. so if the is required, building my own Image seems impossible.

"Idiotically" I ran the batch file in the root folder, although the flash utility recognized my card I now believe that an A1 version of the rom has been flashed to my card.

Before reverting to 1058 of the rom I would be very grateful if you could have a look at the 1063 ImageA0.bin from the enclosed archive.

Edit: I did a compare with Hex Workshop. Maybe that can be enough for a experience based guess. Naturally they are mostly similar but in the begin of the file there are some additional data.

Thank you.|addpics|aqk-1-d95b.png,aqk-2-44a6.png,aqk-3-7295.png,aqk-4-cb99.png|/addpics|

Firmware.zip (1.85 MB)

I have a controller StLab A-520, firmware update using the archive from stations-drivers site took place without problems.

BIOS Version	1.0.0.1024
Firmware Version 2.3.0.1065
Boot Loader Version 2.1.0.1008
Driver Version 1.2.0.1048
Chip Revision ID A0
Vendor ID 1B4B
Sub Vendor ID 1B4B
Device ID 9230
Sub Device ID 9230
Port Count 4
Max PCIe Speed 5Gb/s
Current PCIe Speed 5Gb/s
Max PCIe Link 2X
Current PCIe Link 2X
Supported RAID Modes RAID0, RAID1, RAID10, HyperDuo (Capacity), HyperDuo (Safe)
Supported Stripe Size 32K 64K
Maximum PD per Adapter 7
Supported VD Cache None
Maximum VD per Adapter 4
Maximum PD per VD 4
Maximum Port Multiplier 1
AES Supported

Can anyone tell me what the latest version is available for marvel chip 88se9123(u3s6)?
Where i can download Firmware pour U3S6 Rev 0 (MV-9123) Version:1.0.0.1028) Mod by Daoud333?

work all except the bios menu of the controller

but is strange, because now apears a message like this:

Not enough space to copy PCI option ROM [0C:00:00]

with the original firmware, this behavior does not occur

time is passed. any other bios update for U3S6R1-9120 card?

greetings and merry chrismas!

I’ve been having performance issues with a StarTech PEXSAT32 with a Marvell 9128 chipset. Does anyone know if there is a firmware version newer than 2.3.0.1013 available. If I wanted to downgrade how would I backup my current firmware?

Thank you.

I tried flashing with Startech’s firmware and now it does not function properly. Is there a way to force new firmware onto the device? it is freezing when I attempt to flash anything to it.

Just signed in to give my thanks!
My U3S6 was working fine, still I get in my head to updated it.
After long research online on the matter, I got around thinking the solution was on this thread.
It was “painful” to read it, I’m not an advanced user, so I had to read it with careful attention.

Your hard work guys, made it so simple for me!

made a boot usb disk with rufus
copied the content of downloaded file on post #203 U3S6R1_Marvell-9120_2.3.0.1007.rar to boot usb
disable every mention on bios to my onboard marvell controller
remove the sata cables from the U3S6
typed go -r
typed go
shutdown PC for 2min
pluged in sata cables
enabled onboard marvell

everything worked perfectly.

THANK YOU GUYS!
THANK YOU GUYS!
THANK YOU GUYS!

ps, no noticeble improvement on benchmarks. :wink: