[Discussion] Firmware Update of the Marvell 91xx SATA Controller

NEW Firmware Update for Marvell 91xx (88SE9128 version C0) Version 2.3.0.1013

Is it possible for dev_9120 and dev_91a0 ?

9218_C0_Firmware.zip (1.52 MB)

Hi, everybody!

Maybe somebody will be able to help me?
I have NAS ASustor As-602t and in it probably SPI Flash (MX25L4006E) has died.
The Marvell 88SE9125 controller, can who has contents of Flash of memory?
What in general there has to be?
There is a programmator for SPI Flash.
Can’t insert this backplane into PC and using marvell Dos tools.

Hi,

I just found this forum on firmware flashing for Marvell SATA Controllers. I hope it is the right place for this question.

I am using an IO Crest SI-PEX40062 4 Port SATA III PCIe 2.0 X2 Controller Card and attempting to use it with a port multiplier - featuring Marvell 88SM9715. Marvell datasheet for 88SE9235 states this combination is tested and supported.

On POST, the cards BIOS version 1.0.0.1023 loads but only shows the first drive (6 Gb/s) and the card connection is only at PCI-E 2.0 (5.0Gbps) X1 instead of X2.

On Windows I was not able to get any other drives to show up.

On linux it shows the port multiplier and other drives are detected in

dmesg

log (AHCI is 1.0 instead of 1.1 ) but status LEDs remain off except for drive1. I thought this might be delayed spin up so I attempted to format the drives and they all came online!

My questions are:

- is there an updated BIOS?
- How do I flash it (where do I get the tool?) and most importantly,
- can I modify the firmware to spin up all the drives at POST time?

My next steps are to test different PCI-E slots on the motherboard and other SATA ports on the card (the port multiplier is 5x1 and has 1 host connection)

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help!

Dear all,

I have a big problem with my Highpoint Rocket 640L v1.00 add-in PCI-e sata 6G card, that I hope one of you is able and willing to help me to solve:

My Asus x58 motherboard has automatically flashed its internal 9128 bios onto my external Highpoint 640L card’s memory (Marvell 9230). This has rendered the 640l useless.

I am in desperate need now of an original autoloader + bios for the highpoint 640l card (marvell 9230).

Can anyone please make a backup of their own autloader + bios? Your help would be very much appreciated, as I have also lost all data on my raid0 array that was connected to the initial 640L card…

Thank you!

Iphone Jul 2018 230.JPG

RR640L_BIOS_v1.5_16_05_13.zip (104 KB)

I have bought a second hand asrock sata 3 controller.
-http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/Card.asp?Model=SATA3%20Card

Can anyone confirm that this id in device manager is good?
PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9122&SUBSYS_91231849&REV_12
In the chip i see a 9120 chipset.

I found that the latest driver that support this id is 1.2.0.1035 from marvell.

A little update - one step forward, one step back:
- I have managed to update the R640l with the RR640l bios from Highpoint’s website, by first updating the autoloader (load /a 640lload.100) and then updating the bios (load rr640l.v15). The problem is that this bios is for a 9235 chip, and I need a 9230 chip. With the 9235 bios, the card does not recognise any ssd or hdd that is attached to it.
- I can confirm that the ASUS P6T Del V2 cross-flashed to P6X58D-E overwrites the add-in card’s bios when inserted in the first PCIe4x slot, as I was able to recreate this bug when I inserted the freshly flashed card into the 4x slot again. So be warned!
- I tried to flash the highpoint to a Marvell 9230 bios (both A0 and A1 available in the folder), but MVF_MAG cannot find an 9230 adapter (adapter count =0; I assume this is because it was flashed to a 9235 bios).

So my questions are now:
- does anybody have a bios + autoloader for the r640l stock version, that I can try to force load onto the adapter using Highpoint’s own flash tool (because that tool DOES see the adapter)?
- is there a way to force load the correct marvell 9230 autoloader + bios on my adapter’s flash, even though MVF_MAG cannot see the adapter? (i.e. force flash to a certain pci-bus or similar solution?)

I can confirm that i updated my asrock sata3 card (9120 chipset ) from the U3S6R1_Marvell-9120_2.3.0.1007.rar packet from post 203 (lordkag) and it worked.
It fixed also some times that card don’t detected always in asrock z97 motherboard.

Hi, I have a Marvell 9215 SATA card with BIOS 1.0.0.23, I would like to update the BIOS to 1.0.0.1024 contained in the latest driver/firmware/BIOS package available from Station-Drivers “2.3.0.1070”. There are several variations of this card - 9215, 9220, 9230 etc. and, from the description, this driver package is supposed to be for all of them.

However when I look through the directories of the package, under

\firmware\92xx\DOS_MODE\BIOS_PG\CpuAHCI

There is only a 9230 directory which suggests this may be only for the 9230 card. I haven’t tried to follow all the BAT files, but can someone confirm that this installer also is for my 9215 card - I don’t want to brick it… Thanks

@KootchieKoo
you might want to start from a prepared MS-DOS boot stick (FREEDOS didn’t work for me), but instead of starting the update process, just type “go -r” or “go -ra”.
At the beginning you will see some information from the installed firmware and it should make a backup of the installed firmware to your stick (a normal .bin file for the first command and a SPI image for the second command). If you want both, don’t forget to rename the first file before starting the second command, otherwise it will overwrite the first file.

Both the commands i mentioned above will not write something to the controller, just read, so this should be safe to use.

To get a overview of all supported parameters you can pass to the “go” batchfile, just type "go -h -v"

I honestly don’t know if your controller is supported by the file you got from Station-Drivers, but at least you gain some more information.

Hello,

im trying to get my onboard (GA-Z87X-OC Force) marvell 9230 (rev A0) to work in esxi Passthrough.
It was firmware 2.3.0.1050 and is embedded in UEFI (do not show up on post screen, accessible trough UEFI) on esxi or Passthrough to vm it only detects ports 1 and 3, 0 and 2 get errors.
I have tried Firmwares 1050, 1066, 1070, 1076 and they all have the same issues is there the Firmware 2.3.0.1078 for revision A0?
Can i get this onboard chip to post on boot up?

My second Marvell 9230 (rev A1) PCIE Card (Firmware 2.3.0.1078) works fine and dont have problems with Passthrough, it posts on boot and can be accessed by crtl-m. But i want to use the onboard chip it is connected with two lanes…

Sry for my bad english.

BazzT, the HP ProLiant DL360 (Microserver Gen10 X3421) has an embedded Marvell 9230 SATA controller with AMD-VT-d for directed I/O for Linux and Hyper-V (DDA) and VMWARE (DirectPath) using Windows.

On the HP Community forums someone claims to have gotten it to work with pass-through using ESXi in this thread, ‘HP microserver gen 10, ESXi and RAID’.

If you download the BIOS for this server and extract both of the Marvell SATA/RAID UEFI modules you may be able to insert them into in your Z87 BIOS (if they both fit, you would need over 800 KB of space) and use them with CSM disabled.

You might be better off starting your own thread.

Hello,

thx for the link, i thought it will be enough to flash the firmware.
"If you download the BIOS for this server and extract both of the Marvell SATA/RAID UEFI modules you may be able to insert them into in your Z87 BIOS (if they both fit, you would need over 800 KB of space) and use them with CSM disabled." thats to special, im not that great IT guy who can edit bios files.
And on Page 8 of the "marvell Storage utility user guide" it seems that the onboard chips of this mainboard are rev A1, ill need A0.

Hi Xakeron,
I have exactly the same problem with my Asustor AS-602T. I am willing to replace the EEPROM from the backplane of my AS-602T and I have a programmer to reprogram it but I do not know where to find the right content.

hello i have a marvel 9235 chip, does this chip has internal firmware for verndor specific identification or part no, i am working on a project, i am planning to developing a software and custom drivers for it. kindly let me know,

hello i have a marvel 9235 chip, does this chip has internal firmware for verndor specific identification or part no, i am working on a project, i am planning to developing a software and custom drivers for it. kindly let me know,

hello, @Builderman please let me know how to read or edit the bios of the 9235.