[Discussion] Firmware Update of the Marvell 91xx SATA Controller

Above post was edited.

@X-tick

From your second screenshot it seems that I need the ID of SPI chip to go any further.

Thank you!!
It worked! I was able to successfully flash to 1.0.0.1813 ! I did it on 3 Computers all with the same card!..

I was getting a little anxious about this. If you could do me/us a big favor and run "go -r" again to see if the image was written properly. Afterwards upload IMAG_RB.bin here.

What do you mean about 3 times? On 3 U3S6 cards or on 3 PC with the same card?

@lordkag

So, there's just a mistake in discription and 2.3.1055 just for 92xx?
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php...88SE91xx-92xx)/

May be I should also ask ASRock for image for my mainbord, cause at station-drivers it's 2.2.0.1125b, not 2.3.0.1007.

I shall download archive with images?
http://www.win-raid.com/t300f16-Problems-Updating-firmware-of-Marvell-Sata-controller-6.html#msg5794

What exact should be at my bootable USB?
I'm a bit confused.

Yes, of course I will do this favor for you! - here is the IMAG_RB.bin.

And I meant: 3 times - I have 3 PC’s, all 3 with the same mainboard and each with an U3S6 card in it, and the BIOS flash worked on all these 3 cards.

IMAG_RB.zip (128 KB)

@X-tick

The first link you posted clearly says 92xx, so it is obviously for 92xx.

Your safest bet is to ask Asrock, of course. But Marvell should provide a new flasher, since this one doesn’t support your chip. Until then I can have a look if you post the ID here.

Download Rufus, create a bootable USB, place this content on the USB. Boot and type only “go -r”.

But as I said, I need the chip’s ID before the flasher will see it.

@THZ

Everything is in order, the flasher worked as it should. Furthermore, it has been confirmed (for myself, nothing to be concerned) that the final bytes are just for logging the actions of the flasher.

@THZ

Can you describe all the steps you’ve done step by step please ?

@lordkag

why it did not work the first flash for me?

I just flashed so the package of hanson

go -e -y
go -y

:frowning:

maybe I have omitted “go -r” before?

@biondo79 : I first typed "go -r" in order to verify my actual firmware version, then pressed any key to quit and then just typed "go", and for confirmation afterwards "y". After successfully flashing I shut down my computer and waited half a minute and then started againwith the USB stick and typed once more "go -r" to verify the new firmware really has been flashed.

I flashed directly without reading with go -r but would have to run the same … that strange

at boot was no longer detected the card, for this reason I flashed several times

Now after you’ve flashed at boot has changed something on the screen?

The boot screen from the card appears for only one second, as before - with the old firmware - so I have no possibility to read the settings on the screen and therefore cannot say if there has changed anything.

You can lock the screen with the pause button…

have you a ssd attached to the U3S6?

No chance - I tried it 5 times, the screen disappears to quickly, Pause didn’t work…

I have a Samsung 840 Evo SSD attached to the card, the SSD contains Windows 8.1.
Samsung Magician tells me that that the SSD is connected to Sata 6GB (Sata 3).

I also have samsung 250gb ssd 840 evo

my u3s6 with the old FW 1.0.0.1028 samsung magician did not detect the controller …

so this new firmware is detected by magician !!! Good !!!

con you post test writing e reading with magician ? thanks

I have Samsung Magician 4.1 installed which detects the controller, version 4.3 doesn’t - neither with the old nor with the new firmware.
Here my benchmarks:

@lordkag

[[File:890FX Deluxe5(m).jpg|none|auto]]

There are two chips on the board.
The 1st one is:
ICS 9LPRS477CKL
13102205Y
IND 1103

The 2nd one is:
ICS 0734577
D8(B)L411AGL

Can't really read B or 8.

Thanks.

hi guys @lordkag @hanson

my friend have a u3s6 chip 88SE9123 the binary file for programmer is the same of u3s6 88SE9120 ??

@X-tick

I had a better look at some pictures of your board and it seems the controller is it located in the top left corner, next to Nuvotron chip. So you should locate first the Marvell controller (like in this picture, with a big M), then post a picture or the chips next to it. Maybe even posting those chips between Nuvotron and Realtek. If this doesn’t work, then I will need all the 8-pin chips, to see which one is 512KB / 4Mb in size.

@biondo79

I already told you that you failed because you didn’t stopped to listen to what I have to say, you just went on flashing multiple images. Luckily, your friend might save you. For yourself, you should just flash that IMAG_RB.bin I told you about. For your friend I need to build another image. At the first step he should use “go -r” or the programmer and upload the dump with the ID of the chip containing the image. This is to check a few things. If he doesn’t care about the board and can take his chances, he should flash the image attached, using the programmer.
If he wants to play safe, I can provide him a final image after he uploads the dump and ID of his DIP8 chip.

IMAG_9123.rar (117 KB)

thanks to @lordkag

now my u3s6 88SE9120 have last FW 1.0.0.1038
and also my friend with u3s6 88SE9123 have last FW 1.0.0.1038

flashed with programmer

thanks so much

best regards

Hi @all,

I have the same Card/Chip as Hanson / biondo79 / THZ, so:
type of controller: External card U3S6 (Marvell chip 88SE9120 “Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9120&SUBSYS_84001043&REV_12”)
ID of the controller:9120
the full ID of the chip containing the image:
cFeon
EN25F40
-100QCP
Q18402C
1147TDA

I have some problems to boot Windows from my new Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, that’s how I found this thread.
Strange Thing: I can boot from my old Crucial M500 128GB SSD with this controller card…
Anyway, i took the modified flasher package from hanson’s post #113 and did
go -r
y

That way I got the same IMAG_RB.BIN with CRC EB66A935 that hanson reported as given BSOD. However, I’ll attach it.
It identifies as 1.0.0.1028 in BIOS POST:

I’m a little bit confused, why there are different version numbers?:
'Incoming Image Version is 1.0.0.18.13
Current Image version is 1.0.1.1606’

So just to be sure: Can i flash the image from hanson’s package attached to post #113 or should i use another one (which?) to update to the latest firmware?

IMAG_RB.zip (75.4 KB)