[Discussion] Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules

@skan

Nothing weird this time. The image from "1 AHCI Bypass Onchip" was taken from U3S6R0 - SP1813, which you probably flashed before these tests started. Read the message above and stick with Test3.

Not much speed can be gained above this, maybe disabling C1E from C-States and tweaking power options. A dangerous step would be to increase PCIe frequency, but read carefully before jumping to this and decide if you want to risk your SSD, video card and all other device connected to PCIe.

Hi, Thanks to ALL of YOU for testing effort.
Im traing to download the lasted full image for 9128 (last motherboard version) but (File has expired and does not exist anymore on this server).
I’ll appriciat If same one can downloded on forum server for all off as.
THANKS VERRY MUSH FOR YOUR TESTING.

@ sbc0:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which version do you want to get and which addon-card do you use?

Happy New Year!
Fernando

Thanks for quick answer Fernando.

Diag: NO ADAPTER FOUND (from GO.BAT marvel flash DOS)
Version needed: any last working version for marvel 9128
addon-card: motherboard: EVGA 270-WS-W555 - EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) , Intel Chipset 5520/ICH10R, Dual Xeon CPU, with marvel 9128. (User guide attached).

Any other info no problem.
THANKS VERRY MUCH FOR HELP.

270-ws-w555-a1_Product_Brief.pdf (1.48 MB)

EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2)__A270-WS-W555_MANUAL.pdf (1.78 MB)

@ sbc0:
According to the manual of your EVGA 270-WS-W555 mainboard it has an onboard Marvell 9128 SATA3 Controller.
So I suspect, that the mainboard BIOS contains a Marvell AHCI/RAID ROM module DEV_9128, which can be updated by using an appropriate BIOS tool.
The latest Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM module for your DEV_9128 Controller is v1.0.0.1038 and can be downloaded from >this< site.

Just an update on this

Marvell 9230 Firmware
2.3.0.1051 = May 17 2013 Marvell (5.0Gbps x2) (Only Have Backup for Hardware Revision A1)
2.3.0.1055 = Oct 8 2013 Marvell (5.0Gbps x2)
2.3.0.1058 = May 2 2014 Marvell (5.0Gbps x2) (Only Have Backup for Hardware Revision A1)
2.3.0.1063 = Oct 15 2014 Marvell (2.5Gbps x2) (Asrock Disabled the hardware raid on on this firmware btw) (for some reason it still runs at 5.0Gbps x2 on Asrock Boards but not on other boards)

I have a thread going about the Marvell 9230
Where i Dumped my 2.3.0.1051 From a Hardware Revision A1 SI-PEX40058
Someone has been kind enough to Dump
2.3.0.1058 From a Hardware Revision A1 SI-PEX40057

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.p…dates-and-such/

@Shonk

An interesting thread you got there and I am glad you shared the link to it, as I have collected Marvell firmwares myself. Apart from those linked by you, I also have 2.3.0.1043 A0, 2.3.0.1050 A0 and 2.3.0.1053 A1. But the revision is not important, as the only difference between A0 and A1 is the autoload and only a small patch from autoload separates them. Basically revision A0 needs this patch to be bootable in all cards, while rev A1 already has this patch in hardware.

I can build a firmware for both revisions, be it 2.3.0.1058 or any version. I can also build a test firmware for 2.3.0.1063 to find where the speed cap is happening, but I need someone who has a programmer to recover his card and also to have this as a spare card, in case there is an irreversible damage.

Shame i dont have a programmer…

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the quoted text removed (to save space)

@ Shonk and @ lordkag:

Since your recent discussion about the Marvell 92xx SATA Controller Firmware has nothing to do with the “Drivers” subforum, I have moved your posts from >this< post into a new one.
This way other Forum visitors, who are interested in this topic, may find your posts much easier.

I have a year looking for some information on how to update the Marvell controllers on my motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme9, but somehow always discuss only 91xx and 9230 versions! I also want to update my OROM to latest versions BIOS/Firmware and especially for Marvell SE9220 and maybe SE9172, I use HyperDuo on it for games (SSD R7 Radeon 128Gb + Seagate SV35 2Tb). My motherboard has 2 years and ASRock says “that everything is super and update do not need anything”… I certainly understand that it is marketing, but to buy a new motherboard, I’m not going … Please help me to update this SATA/RAID OROM controllers to actualy version!

@ iRX:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Have you already tried to let the "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU) do the work?
If not, please read >this< guide.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Is it possible to separate the latest Marvell MV-91xx SATA 6G Controller Firmware (E7), Bootloader (E6) and Bios modules from the DOS-upgrade image file “Version 1.0.0.1038” provided by Station Drivers?

I know we gote the Bios module 1.0.0.1038 already but I think the FW is newer v2.3.0.1007 and for Bootloader I’m not sure.

Yes, I tried, but unfortunately "UBU" does not see "DEV_9220".

After having opened the image file, which is within the linked package, by using an Hex Editor, I found the Marvell AHCI ROM v1.0.0.1038 for DEV_9123 and the Firmware v2.3.0.1007, but no bootloader.
If you want a 100% correct answer, you should better ask lordkag directly, because he is our expert regarding the Marvell 91xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules.

Thanks for your fast reply.
I have also open up the image with hexeditor, but I’am not sure which part do I need for the FW module. Maybe the bootloader has not change from previous package version 1.0.0.1033.
I can have a try on my noUEFI AMI bios with MM-Tool if I can get only the FW module. The DeviceID is exactly the same.

The UBU tool doesn’t see any Marvell RAID ROM for DEV_9220 within the latest BIOS for your mainboard, because there is no such module in it.
I just have opened the BIOS X79E9_4.00 by using the AMI Aptio4 MMTool and could only find the following Marvell SATA ROM modules:
1. Marvell AHCI ROM v1.0.0.0025 for DEV_917A
2. Marvell AHCI ROM v1.0.0.0025 for DEV_9172 and
3. Marvell RAID ROM unknown version for DEV_9192

@ wasisdn:

Attached is the file, which I have cut from the complete image file. It seems to be the “naked” Marvell MV-91xx Firmware v2.3.0.1007.
You can try it at own risk.

EDIT: The attached file has been removed, because it doesn’t work.

Yes, I know it, but look at this screenshot:

And this:

I have HyperDuo on it (SSD R7 Radeon 128Gb + Seagate SV35 2Tb) for Games.

This is Specifications from ASRock support page for X79 Extreme9:

Together with my view into the latest BIOS for your mainboard this screenshot verifies, that
a) your system is using the Marvell SATA3 Controller DEV_9220 in AHCI mode and
b) the Marvell SATA AHCI Controller DEV_9220 neither needs nor uses any Marvell ROM module.
So I don’t see any reason for an update of the DEV_9220 Firmware. There is no such module within your BIOS and the related Marvell AHCI Controller obviously doesn’t need it for its work.

Flash with modded Bios ok and it’s also flashing the Marvell Firmware successfully but after reboot the Controller RAID-Rom dosn’t light up.
Flash back Bios with older FW module it’s working.
Maybe still need also a newer bootloader…

Thanks for your time Fernando