[Discussion] Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules

what marvell would i have ? my motherboard said it was a 9128 marvell chip and it had pata. Ive seen people that show the booting screen show it say its a 9123 and they switch modes in bios to ide and itll change to 91a3. my ide plugin on my motherboard doesnt work. and i dont know how to test what other features, or things work. my sata2 intel ich10r evga ftw3 board doesnt give me full ssd speed, the write speed is capped at around 245, i know these ssds do more and sata2 was supposeed to have a max speed i hread of 280mb which my read speed does hit but it was faster, before on the bench test program for hardrives I used to test.

So I have no idea whats missing to make my pc work.

heres a picture of my screen when i flashed the chip with the downloads from the motherboards website for it. And I seen an scsi filter in device manager, but Iā€™m not sure where I seen it at, thought marvell, but it might of been intelā€¦ I was using an updated intel chip oRom. and I think the marvell actually gave me an scsi filter, but I dont remember so muc now.

and i seen these bioses for marvell here, for the 91xx series. AHCI & RAID ROM Modules version 1.0.0.1038 . would i want to use the 91a3? 9128? are them just different parts of the same chip or what? i need my sata2 intel speeds to run full speed, right now its a stock bios latest oRom intel and the matching ahci drivers. Ahci mode. My Secondary IDE controller in device manager gives me a Vendor ID that ive looked up and htey said it was marvell. so, maybe i need a different marvell chip. this board was used and put on a shelf and not used muchā€¦

I doubt that this MArvel chip can do more than 250+ write on a ssd, Ive never managed to get anywhere near full sata3 speeds out of it.

Have already flashed it to the 1038 from Stationdrivers but it changed the id to 9123. Is there a 9128 id corrected image or newer one than the 1038. OS boots fine on the card in achi. Tried changing all the 9123 ids to 9128 and corrected the checksum but wouldnā€™t pass the marvell flasher does it need offset correction too. Thanks for any info you can provide

does it matter if you flash 9123ā€™ to 9128?

does a 9128 need updated? how can i tell what to just put on my marvell? what if parts are missing? is there only 1 file to flash?

That I can tell no it doesnā€™t matter if the ID gets changed as it still works. Just wanted to change the ID back to 9128 back by flashing a modded version of the same image with the ID updated to 9128. Updated to see if I could get better throughput as my Samsung 850 Pro preforms poorly on the Marvell Sata 3 controller and wasnā€™t passing TRIM in achi. Had to use the older drivers to get TRIM working. For the add-on you need the full image from stationdrivers which has the firmware bootloader and bios in 1 image that it flashes. Motherboard based Marvell chips can be flashed the same way, also some can be done with updating the .bin in the BIOS. Have to be carful though as some have reported that they bricked there motherboard Marvell controllers flashing the newer firmwares seems to be a problem with some motherboards.

i dont think it really matters if it says 9128 or not. i dont even know what this does or is supposed to do or if it was bricked, or not.

I cant understand what i got or what goes with it or what anybody else on here is doing. I read that topic about a 9128 I thinkā€¦ and it has a zip file on the front page. and if you go looking through it, theres a big old mash of just stuff and things and i havent got any idea what any of it does. how to start looking at it. WHat id like to do is take what I got and update what i need to make what i got work and do what its supposed to do.

Im not sure if, these things happen with a 9128. There, Bootable. There trim in raid?? in which raid mode. works or not. Which mine is and what it does. If this marvell controller is just the sata3 with read speeds almost at sata3 speed and the write speed a little less than sata2, and its able to be trim and raided and booted up together. Without any speed loss, with it being a benefit. Or what.

Reading through that zip file im just totally confused. I have no idea what to start to go whatever. My board gives me on my intel sata2 ports the same write speeds as marvell shows in the many tests ive read online. the slower 240ā€™s speeds. ive had the same drives on another computer with sata 2 intel ports and got 20* more mb/per second speed on writes than on this board with the marvell sata3. On the sata 2 ports.

I mean i dont care less if marvell does or does not give me less, WRITE speed cause my intel sure sucks and the IDE is disabled on my board. came like this. and im confused. sure would like to know what to use to get ide working. Maybe it would fix the sata 2 since sata ā€¦ im not even sure what sata2 means. When s-ata is really only IDE in a different plugin connection, type right?

could you help me out with what to do here? i have ide on a 9128 but, my chip has always showed 9123 in bios from the marvell cntrl-m screen. i updated the chip with my motherboards files, from their website, but it still does the same. my ide doesnt work and hangs on the marvell bios screen and wont boot if i plug in an ide. it came like this.

pretty sure my boards raid and sata3 type. ive got my original and flashed firmware i got. i had downloads and one file, wasnt backed up by me, cause i wanst sure how to do it, but i took screenshots, read above, and there was a file from the motherboards website that said original and it was supposed to be the, original marvell files, and i downloaded it. i used the newest files and updated.

i have the marvell boot screen. it functions, like i can enter it and i guess I could make raids there? also if i install the marvell program that opens a webpage up, it tells me i have raid and i think from there i can also make up raid setups. if i go in my bios and change my boot from raid to ahci or to ide, the marvell screen, never changes. IDE controller, never works. just the marvell screen always give me the same 9123 device id, and never says ahci or raid.

in windows, i can install different marvell drivers. i found a magni driver and theres the other driver that comes with that webpage deal. now before i flashed, i installed first the magni driver. it gave me a device in device manager that showed an scsi filter or something names magni or marvell in it. after installing the other marvell drivers, that come with the other program and uses that webpage, i got a marvell thing under controllers then. also besides these 2 places here, i was switching back and forth between ahci and raid modes in the bios in my motherboards, ami or phoenix, ā€¦ bios. anyway, also this thing that showed as a filter, the magni thing, would if i set my computer another way or didnt install a certain driver or update the firmware, im unsure here, the marvell thing would go under, the one that showed the scsi filter thing would go under a different part of device manager, yea under system devices and show as, SCSI\ProcessorMarvell_91xx_Config_____1.01

but this was listed under another heading before. and i think it showed when i first installed the other, marvell driver with that other thing. maybe this was before switching my motherboard boot type, ahci or raid. and now, though if i switch this, the other marvell under device manager, dont switch. i dont kow for sure why. i been changing both my sata deals on my board, x58 ich10r, drivers and stuff around, trying to get it to work right. my sata 2 is real slow and just wondering if you can help.

i dont know what my marvells supposed to do, or anything. i know what it does, and id like to get the best setup for using it as i can. heck id lke to see some nice sata3 close to or better than these sata2 port speeds like, showing on skans crystal mark benches, but the only benches i have used is, one called bench32.exe

just whateer, id like trim and booting on it, or at least trim. or booting. whatever use i can get from these.

I have this same thing. i used an updated bios but i dont have ide ports that work on my computer. they have modes called ide ahci and raid but all just transfer the data with the sata-ide hardrive transfer ports. My ideā€™s broke too. also my write on marvell and ive heard is slower than, sata2 speeds. wished i just knew how to take this and flip it around. i have a e768 evga ftw3

Hi all,

First I would like to thank all of you for the work done since here, it helped me a lot to undestand what was going wrong with my Marvell 88s9128.

Letā€™s start from the begining ā€¦
I bought a Startech PEXSAT32 board with this Marvell 9128 chip a few days ago.
I try to install it on my old asus m2n-vm dvi motherboard in order to add some hard drives on it (I use it as a sort of NAS and dlna server)
Unfortunately, board doesnā€™t work at all, freeze on start, no access to motherboard bios.

I get in touch with Startech in order to see if there some known issue with my motherboard : no.
They told me to update the firmware of the board and see if itā€™s better, on their site, they provide one : https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/ā€¦re/Firmware.zip
Of course, I canā€™t update the firmware without booting with the board on a computer and my m2n doesnā€™t boot with it.
Fortunately, I got at home a msi 970A-G43 left by a friend.
Marvell board installed on this motherboard : boot ok, ctrl+m ok with a hard drive attached, so board seems ok.

With total confidence from Startech, I upgrade the firmware, of course without making a backup, as the go -h doesnā€™t tell it was possible and I was confident ā€¦
First error ā€¦ After reboot, same issue on the msi : freeze at startup without any video output (on the asus, video was ok till trying to access the marvell board I suppose)

Of course, I donā€™t know what firmware was on the board, I just remember the firmware version : 2.3.0.1013, because I was surprised to have a newer firmware than the firmware in the startech update. Bios was older, something like 0033 ?

Iā€™m really sorry I canā€™t tell more about the versions ā€¦

Since that, I managed to flash some of the firmwares found on station driver or here (shorting pin 5 of spi to the ground at boot and releasing it after) but I wasnā€™t able to have something working on the msi motherboard yet : two issues : freeze or board not recognized.

If somebody have some idea ? (first to get the board alive again and perhaps to know why it doesnā€™t worked at all on the asus m2n ? )

After reading this thread, I think thereā€™s something bad with autoload but I donā€™t know the original version ā€¦ (bios 3033 or 3038 and firmware 1007, I think theyā€™re ok ? )

@wasisdn

hello, In my search for an improvement to my old and faithful sabertooth x58 I came across this post update your version of bios mods, but something strange happens bios startup is slow as save your changes, youā€™ll know what happens?

ā€œsabertooth-x58-mod-1402-latest_marvel1038+fw2301007_intelrste12.9-trimmod_jmicron1.07.28+realtek-lan-rom2.64_updated.romā€

@wasisdn
@lordkag

hello, In my search for an improvement to my old and faithful sabertooth x58 I came across this post update your version of bios mods, but something strange happens bios startup is slow as save your changes, youā€™ll know what happens?

ā€œsabertooth-x58-mod-1402-latest_marvel1038+fw2301007_intelrste12.9-trimmod_jmicron1.07.28+realtek-lan-rom2.64_updated.romā€

yes this is my modded version and Iā€™m using this with my Sabertooth x58 without any problem.
Iā€™m even running 2x4gb WD red in RAID0 on Marvel and external RAID5 Enclosure connected via Jmicron eSATA.

whitch part of the Bios startup is slow?

@wasisdn

since I turn on the PC it takes longer than usual in the BIOS information displayed and if I enter the bios and keep some change remains suspended until responds and leaves.

you can try another modded bios version see whether has same issue or not.

attached rar file contains few mods and original bios v1304 & v1402 for Sabertooth x58

SabX58-Bios.rar (6.58 MB)

@wasisdn

Hello, have tested down to the version 13 * but still equal, so update the 1402 by proving them versions remaining but not works continues slow the bios

I leave you a video

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhpvVJ-HuDrigaJvk7i1Rv5y-5hoLg

version 1304-org and 1402-org are factory bios from Asus without any modifications.
Did you try to disconect all SATA and USB devices and try again? looks like there is a problem with recognizing some of the disc maybe on Sata or USB portā€¦

the clean boot diskless or any attached USB even restart the bios and still the same

I have a pci-e marvell 9170 card and the bios has issuies and crashes the computer when booting from an ssd.
would I be able to flash the card like onboard chipsets?
I can find very little info.

Hi,

i am using a mod bios with the rom 1.0.025 for the 9182 marvel controller at my Gigabyte X58a OC (Phoenix Bios) and i wanted to replace it with the special 034 version provided in the modules section.

some time digging around with the marvel flash tool, bootloader and stuff i find that the marvel bios is giving me the 91A2 id for the controller.

Due to the rom size file within the modded bios that is 131kb and a hex look inside i get courious about the all in one package for the 91A2 provided here and recommended UEFI only and added it with cbrom155.

What should i say? It works fine with my legacy BIOS. Am i killing my Controller right now or am i fine?