[Discussion] Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules

I have attached few more Bios-mods to my last post incl. JMicron 1.8, latest Realtek-LAN 2.64 and also the older Marvell ROM 1033 with correct bootloader and FW modules.

About the Bios IDE thing I have to see later when I’m at home…

The ID is selected depending on the controller’s mode: 91A3 in IDE, 9123 in AHCI, 9128 in RAID. If you have a controller only capable of IDE or AHCI, it will have the right ID. If you have a controller capable of RAID, like 9128, it will use an OROM with 9123 ID and switch it on the fly to match the mode. Use 9123 ROM/BIOS if you have 9128 controller - this is Marvell’s way of doing things. As for the IDE label, haven’t seen anyone else mentioning it, don’t know if it is something you can fix. Use proper ID as explained above, check in mainboard BIOS, check in Marvell BIOS.

Hello.
I have (1st) PC on motherboard P6X58D Premium with latest BIOS version 1501.
I use all 8 onboard SATA port including 2 of Marvell Controller.
It work 5 years with 3 x 2GB RAM and all was be fine.
Today I install 6 x 4GB RAM and… marvell controller no longer work I use good memory, SAMSUNG ORIGINAL. These 6 RAM modules worked 3 years in my 2nd PC without any problem. I remove CMOS battery for 5 minutes, all settings go to default, but it not help. 1st PC sees all 6 modules (24GB), but no HDD what plug on marvell controller.
Remove 3 of 6 modules make marvell controller work back. But I want 24GB and marvell controller…

Can firmware upgrade help me?
I use freeDOS for launch Marvell_91xx_AHCI_Controller_Firmware_2.2.0.1125b it is work, but show me message what that firmware for DEV_9123 and my DEV_914D…
I see progress and have reboot, but my marvell firmware dont change… I have 1.0.0.1025…
Help please and sorry for my english.

@ strannik:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since your problem can only be solved by an expert like lordkag, I have moved your post into this better matching thread.
I hope, that you will get some help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@lordkag @wasisdn See attached collage, its probably nothing unusual but I wouldnt know, you can see the versions and the IDE think and though Im missing a screenshot from admin tab thats also in AHCI, on bios POST, those drives on P1 P2 P3 (attached to sata2 ) fly past as IDE, but obviously in OS its all AHCI/SCSI, the bottom drive in the boot tab as IDE is attached to a PCI-e sata 3 card also in AHCI mode but in motherboard bioa it all shows as IDE… Again that probably means nothing, but its really odd.

/me shrugs and rolls eyes at Asus expertise.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions Ill welcome them iwith open arms.

@strannik

It might be difficult to fix that with a Marvell Firmware update. If you look at the content of the BIOS modules,

BIOS.png

Content.png

You will see that there is not much to update. The Autoload is at the latest version I could find so far, there is no need for Firmware in 91xx without RAID - which might explain why only the DSRAM_DATA is present from inner Firmware modules. What you can do on Marvell side is: update the Marvell OROM to 1.0.0.1033 or 1.0.0.1038 (mostly safe), update to latest Loader (relatively safe), update DSRAM_DATA and insert the rest of Firmware components (riscky). The first step can be done by you with the tutorials Fernando has posted, for the rest it requires me to pack the right modules. It is a little bit tricky due to the way they packed the Marvell modules. Autoload 1.0.0.1802 is found in 9123 controllers, there are two identical Autoload 3.0.1.0106, there is DSRAM_DATA without PROGRAM0 and PROGRAM1. It is a mess with components all over the place, I don't know if I should follow their crumbs or create solid modules: Autoload + Loader + HW_Config.txt in one module, DSRAM_DATA + Program0 + Program1 in another, BIOS in 9120 link. It will require some tests to figure the best combination and I don't think you will be willing to risk your board. Just read the beginning of this thread.

@atomota

I don't think this has to do with Marvell. It looks like your mainboard is showing those tags. Are 1st Drive and 6th Drive connected to same Marvell controller? If not, then you have your answer. Even if it will be true, the fact that you have AHCI in Windows (or any other OS), it makes this a cosmetic issue and not an important bug.

Hi all :slight_smile:

I am having very similar problems trying to update the Marvell orom on my Gigabyte Sniper 3 board (which has 2 Marvell 9172 controllers)

I am getting the familiar “flash not found” message when trying to update to the newer ROM.

Hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9172&SUBSYS_B0001458&REV_11

Bios is here (F8N modified)

I have been trying to flash from 1.0.0.1025 to 1.0.0.1038 using this file here

Should I start a seperate thread concerning this issue?

It would have been bad for you if that flash succeeded:

Firmware.png

If you read a few pages back, you will see that the firmware is not a requirement for non-RAID controllers. If you don't see a Firmware version in Marvell flasher or Ctrl+M, most likely it is missing. Just run your file again with UBU, as you have a very old Marvell ROM, plus a few others worthy of updating.

My apologies!

I had switched back to AHCI mode :wink:

The correct hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9192&SUBSYS_B0001458&REV_11

Then try to follow the same steps: screenshot of Ctrl+M (or whatever key to access Marvell BIOS), screenshot of MSU, screenshot of Marvell flasher with “go -ver”, check the chips on the mainboard. I haven’t yet seen a Firmware for 9192/91A2 controllers, I am interested as well.

Yep, will do :slight_smile:

Looking at the chips themselves they both definitely say 9172 so maybe the hardware ID is mis-reporting?

Just updated the software to x.1047 to test so maybe this is the problem…

BRB :slight_smile:

Not the controllers with 9172/9192 on them, but the 8-pin chips next to them. This should be the last step, however. As for the name tag, I’m more and more amazed of Marvell manufacturing process. The ID 9172 should be AHCI, while ID 9192 is for RAID controllers. I can understand that the ID is changing from RAID mode to AHCI mode, but the same mixing of IDs on the controller itself is idiotic. Are you saying you have RAID on Marvell controllers and 9172 ID on the controller itself?

WOW!

What a useful tool UBU is… this makes life so much easier than dealing with crappy Marvell code :slight_smile:

Many thanks… rebooting to flash now… fingers crossed :wink:

ps. it updated my Marvell orom to 1.0.0.1034 just FYI…

Edit: Rebooted fine with all updates and looking good!

Many thanks!

:slight_smile:

Edit2: Idiotic indeed!

Yes they are definitely both RAID capable controllers (therefore 9192’s) and yes both chips have 9172 stamped on then >.<

I must admit my defeat in front of Marvell’s way of doing business. <This link> and this one - https://origin-www.marvell.com/guide/results/?type=storage - would point for 9192 being just an alternate ID of 9172 in RAID mode. However, I have OROMs for both IDs, they are nothing alike. More than that, the ROM for 9172 has the class code for AHCI, the one for 9192 has RAID class code. Your mainboard has the ROM for 9192. What is the point of releasing two different ROMs for the same controller? Are they releasing 9172 controllers with RAID disabled? I can honestly say that I don’t understand what they are doing with the IDs here and there, AHCI here and RAID there, Firmware here and Firmware missing there. Either they have an amazing marketing team, or the complexity of their assembly line is over my head.

In my slightly more limited experience…I have to agree… nonsensical!

@lordkag

Ist drive is attached to the marvel controller port 1 (port 2 is empty atm)
6th Drive is attached to a external pci-e sata 3 controller

Yes I think its not significant bug and does seem to be cosmetic.

Is there anything that cna be done to improve the write speed on the Marvel controller? I have minus ~30Mb/s write speed on the Samsung 840 Pro on the sata 3 controller then on the sata 2 controller. Ive been told this is marvels convoluted way of dealing with these things on this controller, if you say nothing can be done about it I wouldn’t be surprised., ill now test which FW/Bios versions provide better results here and report back on the appropriate thread.

thanks again have definitely learned a few things about this bios, and mostly a renewed lesson, not to buy new tech when it first comes out :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

Sure it’s not from the Marvell and only a cosmetic issue. My Sabertooth bios shows the same thing for all drives not connected to the Intel. Even my 2x WD black in RAID0 on Marvell and 1x ext. RAID5 Icy-box connected to the JMicron eSATA shown as IDE but only in the Boot Priority Options, never paid attention to this before…

@Fernando @lordkag

Thank for reply. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year You too.
Sorry so much, I have big trouble with reading alot text on another language…

You wrote "Fernando tutorials" but I dont see that. What I understand, you want dump of my marvell firmware… If it is true, on 1st page I see @Gaudi post with "go -r -v" command.
I make it and got new file in "bin" directory… Hope it is what you need…

IMAG_RB.rar (3.89 KB)

@strannik

You have one weird image there and another proof that Marvell is either too clumsy or too complicated. They could have easily built images with universal components and select the code path based on ID and mode, but instead they went for this crazy modular approach with no other gain but to drive you crazy. Here is the output from your image:

Marv_Dump.png

As you can see, you have components for 9120/9123 ID and they came from E6 and E7. The best thing would be to flash the Marvell chip with a full image firmware, but you might have conflicts with the modules from BIOS. There is not much to update on the firmware side. Those two are the last Autoloads for 9120 (to my knowledge - not sure which one is better), you can update Loader and maybe DSRAM_DATA. But I wouldn't venture into updating Loader and DSRAM_DATA individually, while flashing a full image has the risks I wrote earlier.

Just update the Marvell ROM with link 9120 to 1.0.0.1033 or 1.0.0.1038, leave the rest as it is. Only if you feel you have nothing to lose, you can try to update the rest of Marvell modules

Please, help me!
I have MSI Star Sata 6/Usb 3 with mv-9128.
I flash mv1928 mod firware(BIOS Version :1.0.0.1038, Firmware Version: 2.3.0.1007) with AHSL mode, but my new SSD Crucial MX200 running slower write (Crystal Disk mark).
Please, help me found original firmware (bios 1.0.0.1013, fw 2.1.1.1407) or firware with CPU IDE mode, not AHCL.
Many THX and sorry for my bad english.