[Discussion] Marvell 91xx/92xx SATA3 Controller BIOS modules

Yes i have used this one:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
- Version: 4.1.0.2027
- Date Release: 2014/07/08
- Author: Wei
- Changes:Wei

Item Description Related Bug Ticket

1. Fix issue #7149: Rescan MSU when connect Expander with SAS devices, the number of adapter will add one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I’m gonna try to find out soon the MarvellCLI command to be able to dump a file. Looks this chip seems not supporting raid and is just there to add features for an external eSata 6G and a spare internal Sata 6G… In Bios i can still disable/enable the Marvell ORom.

I’m bringing back the screenshots to this post.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Should be those.

i saw a second one is blank near the blue shield sata port.

RT9025 25PSPEL513 (near the Marvell chip)

Pm25LD512 CE1240 2HP8RLLG (near the blue shield sata port).

Thanks for your time. If i’m not finding a way to update the Marvell chip that will not matter as it does function fine.

That’s the problem with screenshots that are not focused. You have to zoom and rotate and bleed your eyes to get some data. And even then you are not sure. In the first screen, the Winbond is from mainboard, Pm25LD512 next to blue port is too small (64KB - 512Kbit), the third one (top centre) is unreadable. In the second picture, RT9025 or RT9029 seems to be a voltage regulator. In the third picture, Nuvoton 3941s seems to be a Fan Driver. Look for that unreadable one or other DIP8 SOIC8 chips not present in the pictures.

Will do that tomorrow during the day…too late to have clear shots even when flash bulb.

If you are going to open the case, you might just as well note all of them, regardless of place. The one I mentioned is important and in the right place, but there is one above USB 3.0 Boost, one above P8Z77-V LE Plus, one next to CMOS battery, two bellow ASM1042 (but it might be for its firmware).

I just readed the third blank one: HT24LC02 MBN097G3

Do you mean the one above "SATA 6Gb/s" message? It is only 2048 bits, way too small. Looks like there are only those far away chips remaining.

Yes… I will look at the others you mentioned tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

Capture3.JPG

EDIT:
The two ones near the CMOS battery, above P8Z77-V LE Plus are:

Right side: GS358S F2YBQ

Capture6.JPG

Left side: nuvoton 3941S 239NA

Capture7.JPG

Under ASMedia 1042 chip:

RT9025 25PSPELLS16

Pm25LD512 CE1240 2HP8RLL6

Above USB 3.0 Boost is the nuvoton 3941S.

I can see one more only, just under the CPU_FAN header, i will try to get a shot of it.

Got it, again it is a nuvoton 3941S:

Oh well…

The empty SOIC-8 space beside the Marvell chip (left side on >this< photo) seems suspiciously empty…

Downloading Latest 0901 Bios Version from ASUS, the attached file can be extracted ( MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023 ), by using “Extract” and “Link Option ROM”.

It is only 28KB, i cannot locate it inside the listed modules, but there is also a MarvellEFIDXE driver module inside (Vol 02 Index 84) also attached here.

Maybe lordkag can get some info from that.

ASUS_P8Z77-V LE Plus_Bios_0901_Marvell_9120_ROM.zip (17.8 KB)

ASUS_P8Z77-V LE Plus_Bios_0901_MarvelEFIDXE.zip (1.53 KB)

You beat me…that what i wanted to talk about on my next post, i already saw that in MMTool.

One thing…The latest Bios for Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus is 910 and not 901 !!!

I will upload the same but with 910 Bios version and edit this post.

EDIT: Attached files from the Asus 910 Bios:

MarvellAHCI Rom: 33ko

MarvellEFIDXE uncompressed: 3Ko

It feels to me something like this Marvell 9120 chip had been truncated to have only the necessary inside to provide one external & one internal port on the motherboard.

Bios_910_MarvellEFIDXE_uncompressed.zip (1.6 KB)

Bios_910_Marvell_AHCI_Orom_Marvell 9120.zip (20.6 KB)

I do not think those two files will have a great utility, one can be updated with UBU & the EFI one i guess too, anyway…

I found another 8pin chip on the back of the motherboard behind the CMOS Battery:

Capture1.JPG

Something like: RT?120H GSPEM?1?

The BIOS version i used was the last one, v0910, i mistakenly wrote 0901 on the file, i double-checked it now

Neither of the chips are good. I guess that empty space next to controller should have been the chip location. Are those Marvell ports bootable? Maybe the firmware is just for RAID and bootable RAID, nothing more. The two files you posted are not related. The first one is the OROM "1B4B-9120 Marvell AHCI 1.0.0.1033" for legacy mode, while the second is just the loader for the EFI driver. The EFI driver "Marvell 91xx-92xx AHCI 1.1.0.1005" is one position above, in 4331898D-CCB8-4108-898C-A5CC81442B28. In CSMCORE there is also OROM "1B4B-9172 Marvell RAID 1.0.0.0026", which should be RAID capable. If you had that controller, chances are you would have seen the firmware.

I do not have the 9172 controller nor is this motherboard Marvell bootable Raid capable, only Marvell AHCI.

Looks the 1B4B-9172 Marvell RAID module within the Asus Bios is there only when i’m using Raid (Intel Smart Response Technology) to be compatible when i plug a hard drive.

End of the story!

Hi there, just joined to try and get some new firmware added maybe for the Marvel 91xx.

The problem is this is a pci-e flasher but I imagine the firmware is the same.

Current version on offer here is 2.2.0.1125b the one spotted is 2.3.0.1007 and can be downloaded from station drivers (Link and file removed as apparently wont work)
The problem for me is is the bios and firmware are in one single file with no extension inside the bin folder called image and Im unsure how o extract it or fix it to be ready to be added to a rom mod for mainboard Asus Sabertooth X58.

So I hope you clever guys can figure this out and give this newguy a helping hand, if not or that turns out to be rubbish then never mind me… :smiley:

I think this is the right thread for you:
Problems to get Marvell 91xx BIOS modules updated

I can give you my working Bios 1402 for Sabertooth x58 with following mod’s - use at on your own risk:
-Marvel 1038 incl. FW 2301007 and Bootloader 1010002bv5
-Intel RST(e) 12.9.0.2006 with TRIM in RAID0 support
-JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM 1.07.28

thanks to Fernando and lordkag

sabertooth-x58-1402-bios-mod.zip (1.24 MB)

Thanks for that, now I dont really use raid on this machine but I shall give that a try.
Ill also follow that thread link (I have already read it before joining) and join into the discussion.

Thanks again. :wink:

@wasisdn
Thanks for attached file.

Im currently running a bios found at www.bios-mods.com—attached at bottom—with the following mods:

- Marvell 91xx AHCI/RAID ROM: v1.0.0.1038
- Marvell 91xx firmware 2.2.0.1125b
- Marvell 91xx bootloader 1.0.1.0002b
- JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM: v1.0.8.01
- Intel RST(e) RAID ROM: v12.9.0.2006 (no trim)

Your attached file provides

-Marvel 1038 incl. FW 2301007 and Bootloader 1010002bv5
-Intel RST(e) 12.9.0.2006 with TRIM in RAID0 support
-JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM 1.07.28

Since you’re a fellow Sabertooth X58 user, have you ever managed to solve the issue—or does it matter—that any drives attached to the Marvel 91xx chip, when selected as boot drive is listed with an IDE prefix even though the controller is set to AHCI mode?
Also haven’t found any explanation why, Asus specify a Marvel 9128 chip on their motherboard specifications listing, and the original bios has a different chip ID 9123.

Ive read a few threads up and down twice and found no mention of it or any other thread that explains this though I seen the question asked by others, or maybe I entirely missed a reply somewhere that explains it.

Now performance wise and this is why I wonder about these things, is a Samsung 840 Pro attached to the Marvel controller in AHCI mode (boot drive) has a read of 420Mb/s max and a Write of 252Mb/s Max (but while attached to a sata 2 controller I get a consistent Write 275Mb/s max with the mod I originally posted above. Haven’t tried your mods, but hence I have interest in the 2.3.0.1007 firmware…

I would be interested in resolving the IDE Prefix in drives listing so it actually reflects the proper controller mode or shows up like the others).

FYI your JMicron is older than the one I have currently JMicron JMB36x RAID ROM v1.0.8.01 your mod has 1.07.28.

I attach my current bios mod for you to research and maybe even update your bios mod with the JMicron bits since yours offers much better firmware and accompanying bootloader for the Marvel 91xx that the one Im currently running.

Thanks again.

UPDATED_ROM.rar (1.11 MB)

@ atomota:
As wasisdn has already mentioned, your posts regarding the Marvell SATA Firmware match much better the topic of this thread.
That is why I have moved your discussion with wasisdn here.
This way it is much easier for wasisdn and other visitors of this thread to find your discussion.

The correct Firmware for Marvell ROM 1.0.0.1038 is 2.3.0.1007 with Bootloader 1.0.1.0002bv5, your older FW and Bootloader is actually for Mavel ROM 1.0.0.1033.

I have used same Bios like you but lordkag was so kind to extract the 3 single modules for the Marvell controller with correct header from the 1038.bin update files (same as you have attached before) to insert them in the sabertooth bios.

For JMicron I can also give you a Bios with this 1.0.8.01 ROM module but I’ve tested it allready and found my externel RAID5 Box connectet to JMicron eSATA initializing much faster with 1.0.7.28 ROM during boot.

I don’t run any SSD on the Marvell but I have tested a Crucial m550 in single AHCI mode. What I can say is the seq. read rate is higher but overall the drive run much smoother and faster with the Intel SATA2 controller. But if I run the Marvell in AHCI mode there is no IDE prefix listet, just showing me the HDD size and AHCI.

About the Device ID I’am not sure, better ask lordkag. What I know is the ROM and FW for ID9128 and ID9123 is same, just have to open the module with Hexeditor and correct the Device-ID.

Attache are a couple of Bios-mods for Sabertooth x58 incl. latest JMicron 1.0.8.01 and Realtek LAN-ROM 2.64 - all tested and done by my self with help from Fernando and lordkag.

Sabertooth-Bios-mods.zip (4.96 MB)

@Fernando

Thx, because I had questions that are probably not specific I wasnt sure, but OK, Im happy with your decision.

Am now running your rom mod for the X58 you posted above, but sadly, I actually lost a few Mb/s write speed… At this stage Im open to PEBCAK type considerations.
After flashing rom and going though the update firmware screen on reboot, Booted into Marvel rom on POST Ctrl+M and confirmed indeed the infor is Marvel 1038 + FW 2301007

So thanks to you and lordkag for that nugget, well, tbh Im more happy to have joined here, you guys are more active and seemingly know what youre doing better :smiley:

Im happy for the JMicron to stay at that version in your mod, as I dont use it and its disabled in Bios…

So, to confirm: when you are in your motherboard bios boot menu not the marvel menu the drives attached to the Marvel controller dont have IDE prefix? I dont mean on the marvel menu that is indeed AHCI I mean the bios bios :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Not sure if its relevant.

As for the 9128 listed specs vs actual ROM ID 9123, I realize that their the same flash per say—as you explained— its just the ID, but even Asus official fw list as 9123, now I cant remember off hand what the chip itself on the motherboard actually says, but if its 9128 even if just a cosmetic thing, surely for the pedantic folk that matters also, to me Im OK personally.

Here attached is a comparative benchmark for your mod (dark blue) vs the mod I was running before(light blue), BTW thanks again for the mod, I hope you’ll continue providing updated roms for this mobo, you have one FAN here already :wink:

benchmark.PNG