[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions/Reports/Suggestions

:lol:
The bios is new, the sizes are 32, and the problems are old - there is no free space in the volumes.

@RoadrunnerDB

If you don’t want to use MMTool to replace files then:

1. Open UBU.cmd
  2. Find string ::efi_rebuild
  3. Changed
    if %mmtool%==1 to 0
1 Like

@SoniX Hi, any new info about adding new option rom into the bios?
Also I tested ubu a15 with “if %mmtool%==” 1 and 0, I just updated the realtek network. At 79% Gigabyte QFLASH says “INVALID BIOS IMAGE” for the new bios files:

Hi,

Starting with Z400 series motherboards, there is no way to flash directly using onboard tools. The board manufacturer’s signature is altered by the UBU modification.

Either you flash the BIOS chip using a flash module (programmer) or you use “FPTw.exe” via Intel CMS tools from version 16 onwards…

"Update your BIOS with UBU, and save it as ‘Bios.bin’.

Run the Write.bat with administrator rights."
Flash.zip (471.5 KB)

2 Likes

@RoadrunnerDB
I tried it:

Reading HSFSTS register… Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
ID:0xC22019    Size: 32768KB (262144Kb)

Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable
Protected Range Registers.

FPT Operation Failed.

167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.

This is caused by the BIOS Lock variable set to 0x01 (Enabled):
Code:
BIOS Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0xA12

How to set the BIOS Lock variable to 0x00 (Disabled):

1. Make sure you have following values set in BIOS:
  • Legacy Support: Disable
  • Secure Boot: Disable
  1. Take USB stick and format to FAT32
  2. Create directory structure EFI\Boot
  3. Download bootx64.zip (765.2 KB)
  4. Put BOOTX64.EFI into Boot directory
  5. Boot from this USB stick
  6. Run command: setup_var 0xA12 0x00
  7. Run command: reboot
    9.Attempt to write the modified BIOS again using FPTw.exe.

"Here, Gigabyte has shut things down. Unfortunately, BIOS modding has become a popular activity, leading to considerable damage.

On my motherboard ‘ASRock,’ this restriction is not active."

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Using the UEFITool_NE_A68

Thank you very much for replying . I have tried both UBU a14 and a15, and , yes , UBU could replace Intel EFI GOT Xe driver after modifying the strip. However, both Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite and Asus Maximus XIII will experience boot failure after flashing the modified BIOS with EFI GOP Xe driver replaced. If the GOP Xe driver remains untouched, everything will be fine. I can confirm it because I have experimented it on both motherboards for almost 10 times. Besides, the UBU always generates 3 GOP Xe drivers as shown in the attachment of screenshot. I don’t know if repeated Xe drivers count for boot failure because the debug code of ASUS mobo indicates it is I/O related. Again , the link of the BIOS.

ASUS Maximus XIII(Z590)

Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite

3 GOP is bad. I’ll think about it,

I also ran into the unknown Realtek EFI. BIOS is a few days old, so it can’t be an old EFI version.

SoniX, thanks for looking at that Dell Vostro 3670 bios. The first mis-flash was a head-scratcher. I’ll have to play with a hex editor - was trying to avoid that, and it still may be a bridge too far.

This will be an issue for the Dell Inspiron 3670 also, and probably all Dell computers that have the Winbond W25Q256JV 32MB bios chip.

Users recently reporting several issues with UBU and other tools pointed on the forum, need to understand the “main” issue here…specially regarding the biggest percentage of bios AMI Core based…

There is NO RECENT “leaks” to the web of these tools, since the past Aptio IV based bios, to deal with recent Aptio V bios structures/advances, this was 10yrs ago and that’s a “Century” in this area of innovation.

Resulting this in several modifications to the users files getting bad bios mods, by using these tools…the only versions available but not suitable for modern bioses.
Many volumes/modules can be touched and the user don’t have the clue on what was moved/deleted/modified…

These shared user developed tools are always tied to the manipulation of the bios vendor main code and the task becomes much harder…(don’t want to say impossible) when such tools are part of the project and there’s no technical information “outside” for guidance and building.

With this i just want to pass the message, be patient and don’t expect “fix” for all issues, at least in a shorth time period and think on the developer user passion… on the other side, that may not have the time, the health and the age/spirit from other times…

RTK UNDI 2.039

@ThomasRhin

Alius optio:

set str_patt=00000000000000000000000000000000409A499A599A609A

If it finds more GOP, then add 00 to the beginning of the line.

1 Like

My CPU is i9-11900K and i5-11600K ,both come with built-in UHD750 iGPU. I have tried with or without adding 00 to the beginning of the strip line. This time,UBU does replace the GOP Xe driver correctly. There is no repeated or redundant replacement. My Z590 mobos did successful boot with a “beep” sound. Unfortunately, I got a blank screen after the “beep” sound and then boot procedure stopped. It seems the modified BIOS is accepted by the mobo and passes the self tests in the BIOS initialization. However, something wrong occurred to load the GOP Xe driver , which results in blank screen. I tested the GOP Xe 17.0.1085 driver in another LGA 1700 Z790 platform(i9-14900KS, UHD770 iGPU) without any modification in the UBU.cmd strip line and it works just fine. I assume the GOP Xe 17.0.1085 driver is universal to UHD750 and UHD770, but i don’t know why it works in Z790 platform but not in Z590 platform.

What are the VBT versions of each board?

1 Like

l219

There is no point in offering a replace here, as you have nothing to replace. Lenovo BIOS + EFI file. Is the i219 EFI some new file? I can’t find an older version in my own collection. Of course, it could also be that I haven’t looked enough at Lenovo BIOSes.

vroc

VMD, and tSATA is missing. I know it’s the same version, I’m just testing. BIOS + VROC files.

a15_DVfix

I have corrected the DrvVer for old Realtek LAN, but it is possible that versions 050-056 will not be detected.

Edit:/Add
a15_DVfix2

1 Like

It recognizes it, but it does not display the real version number. v2.050 to v2.057 (not up to 56) will display the same non-real version (8.04F BD). However, the current state is better than the previous one, since the UBU can now replace the file. It replaces the “good” with the “bad” and vice versa.

Tested:
2.010, 2.013, 2.015, 2.021, 2.022, 2.023, 2.026, 2.027, 2.028, 2.030, 2.034, 2.035, 2.036, 2.037, 2.039, 2.040, 2.041, 2.042, 2.043, 2.044, 2.045, 2.046, 2.048, 2.049, 2.050, 2.052, 2.053, 2.054, 2.055, 2.056, 2.057, 2.058, 2.059, 2.060, 2.061, 2.063, 2.064, 2.065, 2.066, 2.067

:blush:

mod: with fix2 almost everything works. There are two “different” files that you probably haven’t come across (53, 54). They still show up incorrectly. I also have two types of files from 56, but both are well displayed.

realtek_efi.rar (70.5 KB)