[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

Thanks , but what does it mean? I don’t understand : )

That pattern is not proper. For some time AMD was using $UCODEVS (? - most common), $UCODE2K (2K microcode size) or $UCODE4K (4K microcode size). But they stopped at Ryzen. So this scheme applied for a few years only, not before and not now. Thus, useless. Typical AMD. To detect AMD microcodes, the best possible pattern I use at MCE at this point in time is found here. This works for all microcodes since the beginning (2002).

# AMD - Year 20xx, Month 1-13, LoaderID 00-04, DataSize 00|10|20, InitFlag 00-01, NorthBridgeVEN_ID 0000|1022, SouthBridgeVEN_ID 0000|1022, BiosApiREV_ID 00-01, Reserved 00|AA
pat_acpu = re.compile(br'\x20[\x01-\x31][\x01-\x13].{4}[\x00-\x04]\x80[\x00\x20\x10][\x00\x01].{4}((\x00{2})|(\x22\x10)).{2}((\x00{2})|(\x22\x10)).{6}[\x00\x01](\x00{3}|\xAA{3})', re.DOTALL)

hi !
i am not able to update the microcode on my ASUS M5A97 R2.0 bios file .

i have extracted the latest UBU tool (UBU_v1_71_1) and also placed the MMTool.exe v5.0.0.7 as mmtool_a4.exe in the UBU directory.
but even after pressing F, it still doesnt update all missing AMD microcode’s .

seems like there is a typo error at line no. 1493 in UBU.bat file ?
where :-

:upd_mcffs

should be :-

:updm_mcffs

-Thanks !

@plutomaniac

Yes, I have seen, but you cannot explain UEFIFind like.
And the transition to Python is not so fast. So you have to improvise.

For Ryzen (Aptio V), there are no problems yet, the microcodes are mostly in Padding.
For old (Aptio 4) will have to install an explicit GUID.

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

Pic3.png

Pic4.png

I’d like to say " PERFECT! and Thank you very much all staffs "

@Sonix @Fernando l @plutomaniac You are the best.

EDIT by Fernando: Attached pictures resized (to save space) and re-attached by using the Forum software. They can be enlarged by clicking onto them.

I use the microcode 49, the following are warmer the cores (TJmax increased from 105 to 110°) but thanks for the infos

Thanks, it’s good :wink:

@snowind

Open ubu.bat any text editor.
Find and replace

2455434F44455653

to

and

updm_mcffs

to

upd_mcffs

scr1.jpg

@Sonix, you can resolve your issue in UEFIPatch by updating the address of the FIT (that’s changed in that firmware because FIT is located in a file that got moved because of new microcode file having larger/smaller size). AFAIR, you are already updating the table itself to point to the updated microcodes, so you need to add a step to update the FIT reference (this is what “not referenced from the last VTF” message is about).
The reference is located at address of “end of BIOS region - 0x40”, and is used by ME FW to find FIT and load stuff from it. Before BDW it was optional (that’s why some earlier images worked even with broken FIT), but now it’s mandatory and the system hangs very early in boot if FIT can’t be found, which is exactly what happens in your case.

@SoniX :
Done! Working and flashed!
Good job!
Thanks very much!

Unknown VBIOS

unknown.png

vbios.zip (22.8 KB)

I got this message:
"MMTool not present.
Replacing microcodes will not be available.
Recomended MMTool v5.0.0.7 as mmtool_a4.exe"

I have the modded version of MMTool.exe (build 5.2.20.24). Should I additionally get build 5.0.0.7, rename it to MMTool_A4.exe, and have TWO/2/II/DVA/ZWEI/"Language Limit Reached" MMTool files present for the most flexibility? I would appreciate a PM for MMTool 5.0.0.7 because its very Googlable.

How can I fix this? I’m confused? Use UEFITool 0.26.0?

Or is UBU Tool fixed now?

i have found "experimental" function in UBU_v1_70 that produces a file called BIOSLock_str.txt , in my case it shows BIOS Lock VarOffset - 0x7E … can i use this offset value in Grub EFI shell to unlock bios??

@MonarchX :
I do not recommend to add 2 different versions of the AMI Aptio MMTool to the UBU folder. Users, who get the message “MMTool not present. Replacing microcodes will not be available.” should follow the advice given by the UBU script.

Please look into the start post of >this< thread and read carefully the red marked text of the “Preparations” chapter.

@KedarWolf

You need to install a new offset for FIT,
I will add this fix to the mCodeFIT later, but for now you can do it yourself using the hex editor.

So. Open the BIOS image in the hex editor.
Find "FIT" and see offset

scr1.jpg

Offset == 0xDD3480
We look at the end of the BIOS image with an offset - 0x40.

scr2.jpg

Offset 0xFFFFC0 == 80 34 DD
This value will need to be corrected after BIOS modification.

After modding open BIOS Image and find "FIT"

scr3.JPG

We see that the offset has changed and == 0xDD1100
This new value should be written down at the end of the BIOS image.
That is:
Offset 0xFFFFC0 != 80 34 DD -> 00 11 DD

MMTool
5.0.0.7 is optimal for both Aptio 4 and V platforms.But you can use any version of MMTool.
Let me remind you that MMTool is needed only for AMI BIOS in 2 sluyayah:
- replacement of OROM on Aptio 4
- replacement of microcodes on Aptio 4 and V, but not always.

i dont have problems with 5.0.07 and new one!!! all works

This is Weston (Pro?), but I do not know to which CPU with GPU it belongs.
Can you post an image of BIOS with this file?

In UBUl as "AMI Setup IFR Extractor"
Use as used before.

Is it possible to make version of UBU that have already inserted latest INTEL RSTe updates. So this way tool is more user frendly to update bios without any knowlage where to put files in which folder… If this is possible i will like to ask for download link - my main goal is just update old bios .