Do I need Option ROM/Software upgrade?

I have been running a stable Intel x58/ICH10R chipset motherboard with Windows 7 64-bit OS on a 1TB RAID 1 mirror and a second 2TB RAID 1 mirror data drive. Option ROM is v.9.6.0.1014 and the Intel RST software is v.10.6.0.1022.

I am looking at upgrading the OS to Windows 8.1 (clean install) on a single SSD drive, but still keeping the 2TB RAID 1 mirror data drive.

Should I update the Intel RST software to v11.2.0.1006 or do I stay with my current Option ROM/Intel RST software combination within Windows 8.1? TIA

@ mville:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If I were you, I would try to update the Intel RAID ROM to v11.2.0.1527. This way you will have a better basis for a good RAID driver/OROM combo on Win8.1/10.
Regarding the Intel RAID driver version the best choice would be the v11.2.0.1006 WHQL, but I am not sure, if you will be even able to get any of the "classcal" Intel RST drivers named iaStor.sys installed while running Win8.1/10 (v11.2.0.1006 was the latest).
Reason: Win8.1 and the upcoming Win10 have an on-board generic Intel RAID driver v12.0.1.1019, which belongs to the new iaStorA.sys generation (named iaStorAV.sys) and will be automaticly installed onto all Intel RAID systems from ICH8R up. When I tried to do such a "downgrade", I got a BSOD and was unable to boot into the OS again.

Regards
Fernando

Right now I am having ICH10R with the UEFI Intel ROM option 10.8.0.1303 and Windows drivers+RST 13.2.4.1000 (modded by Fernando to install on ICH10R). With a RAID5 (3HDD), while Win7 booting from a SSD.
It works OK.
I think that the BIOS software is functional until Windows drivers overtake the control, after that it doesn’t matter anymore. So as long as the RAID is recognized at start-up BIOS, I would think that your RAID will work under Win 8 too, with the newer drivers.

Looks like I can only update to v.10.0.0.1046 or v.10.1.0.1008 due to Option ROM file size limits. These are 85KB in size whereas v.11.2.0.1527 Option ROM is 119KB.

Which Intel RST drivers/software should I be running with either v.9.6.0.1014, v.10.0.0.1046 or v.10.1.0.1008 Option ROMs?

In this case I would update the Intel RAID ROM to v10.1.0.1008.

In the case, that Win8.1 will allow it, I would use the RST v11.2.0.1006 RAID driver and the related RST software. This way the RAID ROM and the RAID Drivers & Software Set belong to the same RST development branch, which uses the "classical" RST driver named iaStor.sys. If this should not be possible, I recommend to install the Intel RST v12.9.4.1000 Set.

You told me too that, but I didn’t understand why it matters. Windows does not use the UEFI firmware/BIOS once booted up. Maybe we should discuss it on another thread?

Zitat von SoNic67 im Beitrag #6

You told me too that, but I didn’t understand why it matters. Windows does not use the UEFI firmware/BIOS once booted up.

You are right, but you made a wrong conclusion. There is no contradiction between your statement and my advice.
Let me explain:
The Intel RAID Controller is initialized by the OS at each boot-up procedure by using the related “Firmware” (Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver). That means, that the Intel RAID Controller loads at the beginning of each (re)boot all the features, which are given by the loaded “Firmware” version (examples: TRIM in RAID0, support of >2TB sized RAID Volumes etc.), and uses them continuously - until the next shutdown or reboot.
That is the reason, why Intel recommends to use “pairing” Intel RAID ROM/driver combos, which both come from the same development branch.

If you want, you can start a new thread about this topic.

Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #5
In this case I would update the Intel RAID ROM to v10.1.0.1008.

In the case, that Win8.1 will allow it, I would use the RST v11.2.0.1006 RAID driver and the related RST software. This way the RAID ROM and the RAID Drivers & Software Set belong to the same RST development branch, which uses the "classical" RST driver named iaStor.sys. If this should not be possible, I recommend to install the Intel RST v12.9.4.1000 Set.

Fernando, many thanks for the excellent advice.

Should I use the original Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 driver and software set or the modded version as at 08/26/2014?

You can use the WHQL version, because your system is fully supported by it.
You should use the WHQL version with your next OS, because Win8/8.1 doesn’t accept modded drivers (unless the “Driver integrity check” has been disabled before, which is not easy).

I think that once Windows loads up the drivers, it will re-initialize the hardware with all the supported features exposed by BIOS part. So would be no conflict in going to higher drivers, it just possibly won’t have all the possible features of that newer driver available. Using “matched” drivers won’t be any better.
For example, BIOS doesn’t know about iostore.sys in Windows, it doesn’t even use that format of executable. Same for using Linux as SO.

I agree regarding this point. A vice versa situation (RAID Utility with a much higher version than the RAID driver) may be more problematic.

According to my own experience it will, but I admit, that the user may not even recognize the differences.