[DOUBT] Let's talk about laptop a CPU(soldered) upgrade

Hello people,
Yes, it’s me again. The guy who wants to do a cpu upgrade.
After walk kilometers and kilometers, trying to find a technical service to do a desoldering(i7-8750H) of the cpu of my laptop to replace it for other something better(i9-9980HK), finally, i have found a place to do this operation.
When i reached the place, he asked me the questions of always. “Is the cpu soldered?” Yes, “Do you have the micro code?” Yes, “Stencil?” Yes,“Do you know if the BIOS and the EC are compatible” in this one he catched me, i answered “i don’t know”, and that’s why i’m here. What do i need to know what kind of things i need to do for successful upgrade of my cpu? some one can help me?

no help?

Valid questions and the tech guy is not responsible for a go from u on the cpu replacement.
Apart from ur UNKNOW laptop that u know nothing about, theres a bunch more details about this operation that can go wrong even the same Intel ID 0x3E9B.
Schematic design of the motherboard and signals, voltages, tdp (35-45 vs 45),mcode, bios, Intel ME fw, a bios mod flash successful…or not… u name it.
Its not a light job and can be painful for a tech, apart from the soldering/de-soldering… i would never take any responsibilities our even accept the job.
Did u already identified the board partner number/design/schematic and check if any other model of laptop of the same manufacturer uses a 9980…
The answer u want is very hard to achieve, my opinion only. Good luck on ur endeavor.

Hello there
i have an aorus 15X9 laptop with an i7-8750H and i want to upgrade it to i9-9980HK. I have the stencil, i have microcode ,unlocked bios, the chipset its the same and i have the proper technical service to do a reballing (for time this laptop it’s out of warranty, everything). Exist a very similar model that has a i7-9750H(Aorus 15XA), that i don’t know if it have the same motherboard, but uses the same bios.
The problem in this thing is the EC(Embedded controller), if is the same that uses the i9-9980hk, Hence i want to know if is possible the upgrade, or it will fail with the i9-9980hk inside the motherboard.

@MeatWar

“What make and model number is the laptop”.
Gigabyte Aorus 15X9

"Whats the motherboard part number,and revision if any".
Manufacturer: Quanta
Model: NLCG type2-board version
for more inofrmation look the attachment.

“Is there a higher SKU with the i9-9980HK”.
Yes this model with the i9-9980HK, this one with i7-9750H, this one very similar

The HK versions are unlocked aren`t they ?
Yes they are unlocked.

“and if there is a higher SKU then maybe the ME Management Engine firmware in the bios is different”.
in this part, yes they are diferent. But with an update we can pair them with this o not?.

DESKTOP-5CDL1L7.txt (114 KB)

Hey m8, sry but this a not as simple as may think, this requires a deeper investigation for ur side.
That model with u found with the 9980HK…does it use exactly the same motherboard as u have? This is the kind of info that u need to find…
Ur chipset HM370 by Intel specs, its compatible with the 9980HK, that its not reported as Unlocked but several reports say that have unlocked multiplier.
No one can tell "Buy this processor that it will work", so this ur endeavor and only u can take the risk
Being such recent model ur not going to find a similar user that has made such swap… its gonna be hard to finding similar info with same chipset/processor model.
Try a search for Quanta NGCL… u only see keyboard replacement.
So, im sry but not going expeculate any more on this subject.

is it possible to replace 1650ti with 1660 mobile using this method? do they use the same BGA socket? any other changes i need to do to the bios? sorry if my question sounds stupid