Drivers To Install XP on HP XW6600

Hi all! First of all, thanks for the hard work from you and everyone to keep this place up and helping people out. You all are providing an invaluable service!

I’m trying to install XP onto an HP XW6600 workstation and am running into trouble trying to find the correct drivers to slip into the XP install disk via nLite. I’ve tried to provide as detailed information as I think is needed, but let me know if I missed anything. I have the option of installing either 32bit or 64bit versions of XP.

The unique thing about the XW6600 is that its BIOS has the following setting options:
SATA Emulation—Sets the SATA emulation mode with the following options:
RAID + AHCI–Both the RAID and AHCI OPROMs execute. This emulation mode is the default and offers the best performance and most functionality.
Separate IDE Controller–Offers standard SATA supports (four ports only).
Combined IDE Controller–Makes the SATA controller look like an IDE controller and offers best IDE compatibility (two ports only).

This system is currently set on RAID + AHCI. As you see, there’s no setting for only RAID or only AHCI.

System specs seem to align with the guide here
Chipset: Intell 5400
Southbridge: Intel 631xESB/6321ESB/3100

From the Device Manager:
Storage Controllers:
1) Intel ESB2 SATA Raid Controller (file: iaStorV)
2) Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller (file: spaceport)

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
1) ATA Channel 0 (files: atapi, ataport)
2) ATA Channel 1 (files: atai, ataport)
3) Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (files: atapi, ataort, pciide, pciidex)

ATA Channel Hardware IDs
Intel-269e
Internal_IDE_Channel

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Hardware IDs
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269E&SUBSYS_1307103C&REV_09
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269E&SUBSYS_1307103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269E&CC_01018A
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269E&CC_0101

From my searching, there was another reference to an XW6600 here that I found, but the purpose was slightly different. But, possibly it is helpful to review.

Thank you for your help.

@Diver199 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Please check the HardwareIDs of this Intel SATA RAID Controller and post the DeviceID. I suspect, that it is DEV_2682.
If I am right, I recommend to integrate a matching Intel RAID driver according >this< guide. For your special system I recommend to integrate the “classical” Intel RST driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL, which you can find within the start post of >this< thread.

Yes, but the linked thread indicates, that it will not be easy to get Windows XP running with your HP XW660 in RAID mode.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

You’re correct:

ESB2 SATA Raid Controller Hardware IDs
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&SUBSYS_1307103C&REV_09
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&SUBSYS_1307103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104

If I’m reading you right, the only file you recommend to integrate is the RST driver you linked? Nothing for AHCI or anything else?

Thanks you for your help!

Yes, and don’t integrate anything else than the support of the listed “Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller”.

No, because your system doesn’t have a working Intel SATA AHCI Controller.
Nevertheless you may benefit from some AHCI features, because they are supported even while running the Intel SATA Controller in RAID mode.

Thanks. In the linked file, the following files are listed:

iaStor.inf
iaStor.sys
TXTSETUP.OEM
iaAHCI.cat
iaAHCI.inf
iaStor.cat

Do I only use the iaStor.inf file from this group, or others?

Thanks!

If you want to integrate any textmode driver into the Windows XP image, you have to offer all files, which belong to the unzipped driverpack.
Absolutely required for a successful XP installation onto an Intel RAID system are the files named TXTSETUP.OEM, iaStor.inf, iaStor.sys and iaStor.cat.

Just popped on to say it worked. Your advice was spot-on. Reformatted my HDD to remove the OS. Used nLite to create a bootable XP disk with the drivers you recommended.

Thank you for your help!