dynamic storage acceleration

Hi Fernando,
What is your understanding of DSA ?
Is it worth enabling in Raid ?
It appears to be only active on Z87 Boards, But i may be wrong.
I see it can be activated in the Intel gui / Performance section. I would like to know more on this and im sure this is right up your street so to speak.

thx

AFAIK the feature named Dynamic Storage Acceleration is only supported by 8-Series Chipset mainboards, but I am not really sure about that.

DSA is only supported on Intel 8 series chipsets (like Z87) that support RAID. Of course you must also use an IRST version 12 driver and have a version 12 Option ROM in your board’s UEFI/BIOS. The Option ROM will be installed by the board manufacture in their UEFI files, so no need to worry about that.

DSA must also be activated in a board’s UEFI, my Z87 board has that option in its Storage Controller section.

DSA is clearly a power saving feature, which is one of the major goals of the Haswell platform, reduced power usage. Whether or not DSA can enhance performance is still a question IMO, I am not certain if it does or not. I know of one experienced PC user that claims that DSA in High Performance “gear” (as they are called) did show increased performance in benchmark testing. I also saw a minor increase in benchmark results testing a SSD, but not enough to be conclusive, IMO. I certainly cannot say that it does not enhance performance, I don’t know yet.

I am still testing, and so far have had mixed results, some SSDs perform better, others worse.

As usual, trying it for yourself is the best way of determining if it works for you. I use it and IMO it works fine, and I can see the difference in power usage with DSA enabled. I have not noticed any decrease in I/O performance using SSDs as the OS drive.

@ parsec:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!

Regards
Fernando