Editing UEFI variables, is NVRAM in the BIOS chip?

More questions haha, let’s stablish some basis, it’s an Intel device (with an Insyde BIOS) so from what I’ve read the Flash Programming Tool (FPT) is able to read and write (reprogram, if not locked? I’m still researching the topic) the contents of the BIOS flash chip.

My system is an Alder Lake-U based laptop, which means that while I’m able to get a dump of the BIOS through a programmer, or through FPT, I am not able to use H2OUVE to edit those variables yet that I know of, that latest version of the tool I could get a hold of isn’t capable of getting them, much less writing them.

But they are in an NVRAM of sorts aren’t them? I mean, they’re meant to change, I was wondering if while the machine is powered off one could: dump the flash chip contents, unlock flashing through FPT and reprogram de chip.

Even though I can’t work live, as in reading directly using H2OUVE, it happily allows me to edit them and save the BIOS file again. I haven’t changed a thing, 1C was already 0 in PchSetup, so either I can flash using FPT by default (I can certainly read) or I’m looking at the wrong places, to be honest I’m flying blind going by things I read all around hahaha

I thought of creating a thread in case someone knows about these kinds of things and wants to contribute some information on it. I will once I get the hardware to have a known good dump of the flash chip I can use in case disaster strikes, for now I’m just reading, learning (or trying to), equipping myself for the tasks, etc.

Thanks for the read and the answers by the way!