Enable AMT on Dell OptiPlex 7070 Micro

Hi all,

I’m trying to enable AMT on a Dell OptiPlex 7070 Micro (i7-9700T, Q370 chipset), shipped from Dell with ME/AMT disabled.

I’ve dumped the full SPI with fptw64 -d spi.bi.

ME Analyzer output:

Family: CSE ME
Version: 12.0.97.3000
Release: Production
Type: Extracted
SKU: Corporate H
Chipset: CNP/CMP-H B,A
File System State: Initialized
Size: 0x77C000
Flash Image Tool: 12.0.33.1422

I’ve read through the original 7070 vPro thread (35318) and a similar 7070 thread that hit a “decomposed IFWI” build error (96151) with the same Extracted/Initialized state as mine. Before I attempt a build, wanted to check: is a simple toggle-and-rebuild in FIT likely to work here, or should I expect the same error and plan to source a matching CSME 12.0.97.x repository file for the ME Sub Partition swap first?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!

Since posting, I’ve made progress and wanted to share where things stand, plus a couple of remaining questions before I flash.

What I’ve done:

1. Loaded spi.bin in FIT, enabled AMT/KVM settings but the build silently skipped every AMT/KVM field with Warning: Did not update “X” because the ME FW is from a previously booted system. (matches what @vysakhp described hitting on a similar Q370/CSME12 Dell in a related thread)

2. Followed the [Clean Dumped Regions guide] Sub Partition swap: sourced 12.0.70.1652_COR_H_BA_PRD_RGN.bin, renamed to “ME Sub Partition.bin”, replaced it in the Decomp folder, rebuilt via the saved XML

3. This resolved it, no more “previously booted” warnings, both FWU files written successfully, and ME Analyzer confirms File System State: Configured on the result

4. Matched my AMT settings to those in the [Dell 5070 thread] (identical starting firmware to mine: 12.0.97.3000, Corporate H, dated 2025-05-26) including Idle Timeout 0xFFFF, KVM Screen Blanking, Hide MEBx FW Update Control = No

5. Checked outimage.bin in UEFITool NE and got the “unknown flash descriptor version 0.0” warning, which I now understand from @plutomaniac’s post earlier in this thread is expected/benign for CSME 12 and not a sign of corruption

Before I flash I have a question:

My swap file (12.0.70.1652) drops ARB Security Version Number from my original 15 down to 10. The Dell 5070 thread used an even older swap file (12.0.68.1606) on the identical starting firmware and reported success, which is reassuring, but I wanted to ask directly: is an ARB SVN downgrade like this expected to be safe on this platform, or is there a risk of anti-rollback rejection at boot that I should be aware of before flashing?

Update - success!

Wanted to close the loop for anyone finding this thread later. Full AMT+KVM is working on the Dell OptiPlex 7070 Micro (i7-9700T, Q370, CSME 12.0.97.3000, Corporate H, shipped ME/AMT-disabled).

What ended up working:

1. Dumped full SPI: fptw64 -d spi.bin

2. Direct toggle-and-rebuild in FIT

  • Intel ME Kernel > Hide MEBs Firmware Update Control – No

  • Intel AMT > Intel AMT Supported - Yes

  • Intel AMT > Intel ME Network Services Supported– Yes

  • Intel AMT > Manageability Application Support – Yes

  • Intel AMT > Manageability Application initial power up state – Enabled

  • Intel AMT > KVM Redirection Supported - Yes

3.It built successfully, but every AMT/KVM setting was silently skipped with Warning: Did not update "X" because the ME FW is from a previously booted system. My dump showed File System State: Initialized in ME Analyzer, this is what caused the block.

4. Followed the [Clean Dumped Regions guide, D4 section]: sourced a Corporate H RGN file (used 12.0.70.1652_COR_H_BA_PRD_RGN, since that’s what was the only RGN available but it was much older than my 12.0.97.3000 base), renamed it “ME Sub Partition.bin”, swapped it into FIT’s Decomp folder before rebuilding.

5. This resolved it completely, no more “previously booted system” warnings, all settings committed, and ME Analyzer confirmed File System State: Configured afterward.

6. Noted: this swap dropped ARB Security Version Number from my original 15 down to 10. I was worried about anti-rollback rejection, but flashed anyway (with a CH341A+SOIC8 clip on hand as backup, though ultimately didn’t need it) — no issues at all. Worth documenting since I couldn’t find a clear answer on whether this was safe beforehand.

7. UEFITool NE flagged “unknown flash descriptor version 0.0” on the rebuilt image but per @plutomaniac’s earlier reply in this thread, this is expected/benign for CSME 12 (FD version was originally 0.0, UEFITool just doesn’t recognize it) and NOT a sign of corruption. Wasted some time worrying about this before finding that explanation.

8. I then shutdown the system, set the service jumper and flashed: fptw64 -f outimage.bin then fptw64 -greset followed by a full G3 power cycle. Once it booted fully, I shut it down again and removed the service jumper. I hit F12 while booting and MEBx is now accessible and configured normally.

Also relevant for anyone else on newer CSME 12 dumps: the “previously booted system” block on Initialized firmware seems to be a real behavior difference from the original 2020-era guidance in this thread, worth expecting the Sub Partition swap step by default if your dump shows Initialized state, even though it wasn’t needed for the original 2020 case here.

Hope this saves someone else the loop I went through.

1 Like