Extracting HP-Bios from exe

Hello, I would like to extract the .bin file from this .exe
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp151001-151500/sp151154.exe

I would like to clear the serialnumber from the original bin, this seems for me the easiest way.

I tried already to find the serialnumber with a hex-editor in a dump from the original bios, but I could not find it.

Extracted .bin files: 08C16F08.zip.
Did you try using AMIBCP to edit the DMI Tables?

1 Like

Thank you very much! That should help me a lot.
As far as I know it should be possible to simple flash the bins and than the serialnumber should not be in bios any longer.

Your question:
Not really - I tried to use AMIBCP to open both of the Backup.bin which I made, but didn’t know how to continue. No wonder I think, because I 'm a beginner.
By loading the bin a message popups: “Maximum number of strings per section exceeded. Setup Configuration and Bios String Tabs will not be shown.”

But it is possible to continue and “load” the bins. Due to the message maybe not with full content.

I just now took a new look into the DMI-Tables of the backup.bin but e.g. was not able to find the serial number.

In the DMI-Tables there is
on the left side “3 System Enclosure or Chassis” and

on the right side formatted area with some hex-values.

Below the formatted area is a window with the Text-Strings
One of the Text-Strings has the Title Chassis-Serialnumber.
But there is no concrete serialnumber shown.

Some days ago I opened the backup.bin with UEFITool, but was also not able to locate e.g. the serialnumber.

Serial numbers etc. are empty in the 2 update files. Only your BIOS dump contains that data. You can compare the AMIBCP DMI tables with the RWEverything SMBIOS viewer to check if each field shows the right thing.

Yes, I searched for the serial in the backup dump of the bios, but could not find it.
Unfortunately RWEverything SMBIO doesnt work on my Notebook HP aa0777ng with Win 11 Pro.

All you have to do is edit the forth string in System Information (Type 1) (= System Serial Number) and the forth string in Base Board (or Module) Information (Type 2) (= Motherboard Serial Number) in AMIBCP.
Table 1 specs
Table 2 specs

Hm, both of the fourth string in System Information (Type 1) Base Board (or Module) Information (Type 2) are empty in the dump of the original bios.

But nevertheless - You mean if I’m going write any Numbers/Text in the 4th strings - the System Serialnumber and the Motherboard Serial Number will be changed?

What for is System Enclosure or Chassis (Type 3)?
The 3rd String is titled “Chassis Serial Number”.

Maybe it doesn’t read the DMI data properly? Did you check if your SMBIOS shows empty serial numbers right now (for example with WMIC)? Maybe try inserting new serial numbers and just compare the HEX data to track changes?

Third string in table 3 is Chassis Serial Number. Means if you check your current SMBIOS the Chassis Serial Number will be “Chassis Serial Number”.

Yes, I can read the Bios-Data, e.g. the Serialnumber of the Laptop with WMIC, no problem.
I did it just now.

I made a bios dump (Copy of Bios Image with HP BIOS Update and Recovery) and actual I
didn’t find any program which could find e.g. the serialnumber in the copy of the Bios Image.

Additionally I tried to flash the bins which you extracted me with a USB-Flashdrive made with HP BIOS Update and Recovery. After the USB-Flash drive was created I exchanged your extracted bin files with those on the USB-Drive and tried to flash them, but it doesn’t work.