Failed Raid 0 SSD Constant 100% Disk Activity System PID 4

I’ve gotten a lot of value out of this forum over the last year, so thanks very much, but I’ve run into a problem that reading others’ posts has not solved for me.

I’d suggest looking at my signature for the system setup. Additional info as follows:

1) I’d been running well with no issue for several months… and on copying 100+GB from an external drive to the R1 local storage array the computer bricked. On rebooting it halts at the ICH10R bios screen. It notes that both arrays had failed. One disk from each array. Upon entering the raid bios (Ctrl +I) it tells me that the R1 storage array will be rebuilt but gives me no such promises for the R0 array. It still has one of the R0 ssd disks as failed. At this point, I was nervous, scared, and pissed. I exit the raid bios and windows automatically boots with no problems. Now, I’m just confused.
2) Per Fernando’s notes somewhere herein, I had not installed the Intel RST UI software when installing the driver. But as I now wanted to gain some more insight to what the problem was, I found and installed. Upon opening, it too tells me that the R0 array “is” failed. Interesting, since I was actively booted into the OS on that very R0 array. I set the failed disk to normal. I also note that the R1 array is rebuilding. I’m still nervous, but happy…
3) I check the smart data on all the disks, no errors, bad sectors or anything that would indicate a disk level problem. The R0 SSD’s are practically brand new, btw. The storage array has some hours on it, but shows in very good health.
4) As I’m away from the computer, letting the R1 array rebuild, the computer shuts down unexpectedly, bsod, and I’m again shown the intel raid bios with a failed R0 array on automatic reboot. Note that the storage array was still in the process of rebuilding, but it did not fail at this time. Same recovery as in (1) above and everything looks fine. But now I’m really confused.
5) R1 storage array is at 35% and continuing, but I’m curious, so now I check Event Manager and note nothing that gains me any insight other than the “critical error” when it bricked. After 15-20min, as I’m working on the computer watching for anything suspicious, I note that it is slowing way down in execution of anything. I check task manager, which shows 100% disk activity, significant reads/writes and almost no throughput (5-10kbs,etc). I check resource monitor and it seems that “System PID 4” is the culprit.

I know that this PID represents a fair number of services, but after searching the google, none of the corresponding issues others have found are evident to me. And none seem to correspond to the continued failure of the raid arrays. BTW, it has now happened 3 more times exactly as above. So, I’m frustrated but I think it has to do with driver conflicts in RST and W10, though I have no proof.

Any insights or thoughts on this problem or how to track this down more specifically the cause so that I can get this fixed?

Much obliged,

@billbobjune :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Unfortunately I have no concrete idea, what may have caused your RAID problems, but the fact, that both arrays degraded nearly simultaneously, indicates a power supply problem.
Did you already check your PSU?

Regards
Dieter (aliasFernando)

Thanks for the response. I haven’t checked the PSU, but will look into it.

Both arrays only failed simultaneously the first time. Additional times, it has only been the R0 OS. In any case, my thoughts on the problem being driver related are because of the correlation to 100% disk activity on the R0 array before it fails each time that I’ve noticed.

You wouldn’t suggest a different RST driver? I’ve seen such suggestions on sites I don’t trust as much, hence my deferral to you.

Thanks again

According to my long-term experience with different Intel RAID systems the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 is the best RAID driver, which ever has been released by Intel.
If your problem should really be RAID driver related, I suspect, that it is the OS Win10, which doesn’t like the “classic” RST drivers (without SCSI filter driver).
You can try the Intel RST(e) v11.7.4.1001 WHQL and check, if it helps.

I’ll let it finish the rebuild then give it a try. Will follow up when I know more.

Best