Flashing ASUS ROG STRIX B560-G bios to G15CE board

Hi everyone! I have the same pre-build and would love to get the original Strix B560-G BIOS installed on my board. I tried to use the Intel FPT tool but got “Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.” I found that this is caused by the BIOS Lock variable set to Enabled. Don’t know what to do now. Is it easier to get it done with CH341A programmer or there are other solutions?
BIOS Chip on the board is GigaDevice 25B127DSIG.

MeatWar, what do you mean by saying death motherboard, can’t you do a backup of the original BIOS and use it if something goes wrong?

If u mean with programmer, of course u can… others recovery methods, if possible, u may get stuck with it and out of solutions reverting back to a programmer again.
I just said that the motherboard can get death with the bios swap, period.

I want to confirm, that I have successfully replaced G15CE BIOS with STRIX B560-G BIOS ver. 0902 on ROG STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI Motherboard. I used CH341A SPI Programmer. After that, I was able to update STRIX B560-G BIOS ver. 0902 to ver. 1007 by using the standard ASUS EZ Flash tool.

1 Like

I thank you for u report and success, this will serve as future guidance for other users u need this operation, glad that it worked and no critical issues with the operation.
For a little more information, can specify the SPI brand/model (GigaDevice 25B127DSIG, correct?) and the used software programmer version, if u plz.

MeatWar, I want to thank you for your help as well!
It was my first experience flushing BIOS with CH341A SPI Programmer. I want to say that if you carefully follow all guidelines it’s not so difficult.
I have:
GigaDevice 25B127DSIG chip
ACEIRMC SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip For EEPROM 93CXX / 25CXX / 24CXX + CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB +1.8V Adapter + Soic8 Adapter Programmer Module Kit (1 sets) - This I bought from Amazon for $13.89 USD. Now I realize that I could buy a cheaper option with only USB CH341A Programmer and Soic8 Adapter.
Software: AsProgrammer 1.4.1 + Windows 10 x64.
Good luck to you all who have the same issue.
It is worth doing it because many features in G15CE BIOS are locked.

is there a way for you to post a step by step guide? I never used a programmer before, but I have the same PC and I would like to use the retail bios, if possible.
please and thank you.

also, does anyone know if it is possible to bypass "Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access." in order to reflash the retail/proper bios by software?
any help would be appreciated.
thank you

@razvang
There is no way to flash by software this bios transition, thats why it has be made by a SPI programming, so no need to unlock bypass errors.
U should notify a user by “@username”.

EDIT: Already told u how to notify that user… and hes the best to help on this specific bios transition.

@meatwar thank you for your reply.
I ordered a programmer and it should get here tomorrow.

@asushchev can you please post the steps you took to flash the proper bios?
Thank you.

can you provide the link of the device? and perhaps a detail instruction how to do the whole process? Thank you very much!

@cal113 this is the hardware you’ll need https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2M5MVH/ref…RZG3VGYF2G4QZTX , this is where you can find the retail bios https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BI…I-ASUS-1007.ZIP and this is the software you’ll have to use, to flash it https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases .
I’m not sure what the actual process is, so if anyone could fill in the blanks, that would be awesome.
Also, if someone can post a picture of the actual location of the chip on the motherboard, that would help too.
Thank you.

Did you happen to successfully flash the bios? I would love to flash b560-g to my g15ce board since the g15ce is having so many issues like not supported by Aumory Crate (aumory crate not detecting my corsair RGB memory and my graphic card, also I cant XMP my corsair to 3600mhz which is the advertised frequency of the memory). Dont know if b560-g bios will solve all those issues. Anyone experience the same issues here?

@cal113 you don’t need xmp to overclock the stock ram. just put the timings in manually and change the voltages. I did it on mine and it worked.
As for cross-flashing, not yet. I just received the adapter, but I’m still at work. I’ll take a look at the board tonight and try to see where the bios chip is located. I’ll keep you updated

I am using corsair RGB pro 3600Mhz ram. when i use XMP my computer only boots at 3200Mhz, and wont boot if i set the ram freq to 3600Mhz not even 3444Mhz. This happened after i update my G15CE bios to version 215.
what bios you running for G15CE now? whats frequency your memory running now? and what the timing and voltage you using? Thank you very much!

any one here has a link to G15CE bios version 205 ( the version out of the factory)? anyone? I want to roll back to the old version. I think asus put more restriction on the new bios.

@cal113 v205 can be found here https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/…FD00F189888CDB4

just downloaded the file, but seems its not in the correct format. I tried to find version 205 on asus website, but no luck, only available version is 215 and 214

Regarding the memory, with the normal g15ce bios, ver. 214 I can run the stock ram at 3600 MHz with the following settings: 16-19-19-38 1.4V
I haven’t tried ver. 215.

@cal113

Edit: the 205 version is good. you just need to download another bios file from asus that comes with the renamer software and run it alongside 205 after you change the extension to .CAP, then flash the resulting file via usb