Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding "Invalid BIOS image"

I built the usb stick with rufus (FAT32). Tried 0.87 with and without /x switch. HELP!

This is what I see… (image in next post since I’m a noob.)

People should know what they’re doing…

"…Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns."

You may not get the job done with software tools due to this change… an SPI programmer can be the only option…or not, my opinion only.

Thanks MeatWar.

Why would they take functionality away from the board? Gigabyte sells a Thunderbolt card that no longer works on a board with an updated BIOS that can’t be taken to an earlier version. Genius!

Last Gigabyte product I ever buy. Anyone need a Z390 board (BIOS V. F11)? Hit me up.

@XQJ-37

I would considere expose the case to Gigabyte tech support… as all the cards here, the motherboard and the Thunderbolt, are their own products.
This doesnt make a bad motherboard model or brand here in this case… dont forget that they cant cover/recall al user HW scenarios around the globe and their use/goal, they must be notified sometimes.

A side note: there are reports of bios regression on Gigabyte specific models… i cant point anything/link in the moment regarding this new capsule method as this was just now introduced by them.
I would also considere posting on Gigabyte forums and TweakTown forums.
Good luck.

Efiflash 1.00

Efiflash 1.00.zip (57.2 KB)

Man i’m having the exact problem on the exact same board… 75% and then invalid bios error. any news?

Man i’m having the exact problem on the exact same board… 75% and then invalid bios error. any news?

maybe we need to wait for a solution

maybe we need to wait for a solution

Hi,
I upgraded my Aorus Z390 Master MB to F11 from F10.
F11 is, as mentioned on the website "Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version. Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns." I was unable to downgrade using q-flash & @BIOS.
Does this mean, the BIOS cannot be downgraded to F10 any longer using modded EfiFlasher?
Reason I am looking for downgrade is after upgrading to F11, the system time freezes when shut-down. Meaning, when I turn-on the system the next day, I see the date & time as it was last shut-down.
Initially I thought is a CMOS battery issue so I replaced with a brand new battery, rest CMOS settings, power-drain, etc. etc. etc. nothing fixes the issue.
Only started facing this after upgrade from F10 to F11. Everything was fine with F10.

Hi Guys,

Congrats on the great findings and tutorials.
I was able to mod my Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 to get nvme support with the small ffe image, but I am getting a corrupt bios after a few on/offs trying to solve the boot (unacessible_boot_device) from my clone.

This MB doesnt have UEFI until the last bios update (beta), so maybe this original beta bios is not that reliable to start with.
Can anyone verify if my mod was correct or help me with this?

Thanks

Z8MAD2H3.zip (2.77 MB)

Z8MAD2H3-ORIGINAL.zip (2.77 MB)

The UEFI NVMe mod is only possible in the latest beta bios, so upgrade to the beta, then mod to NVMe, then use Q-Flash to flash the same bios version MOD NVME (Beta).

[HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi MeatWar, thank you so much for the prompt response.

Yep, thats exactly what I did.
I think the constant on/off on trying to solve to boot problem might be corrupting the bios.

Then flash back 2 times again the Original OEM bios, this can be done with Q-Flash or EFIFLASH, then resume modding again.
From F10 to U1C its the EFIFLASH utility to use, NOT Q-FLASH.

EDIT: These bios versions were a bit unstable and i had in the past a bad experience in a similar model GA-Z68 using the NVMe mod, the board sometimes corrupted the bios during normal use of the system, besides accepted the flash
and the NVMe mod/UEFI OS.

Ill check ur mod files
EDIT: NO NVMe dxe module found, ur mod file is not valid, do it again. Or wrong file uploaded. NO i checked both files, in order to look for changes in pads but no DXE found.
The mod is done with AMI MMTool 4 with compressed/small DXE4 or with UEFItool 0.28 with Standard DXE4, original pad files remains intact, DXE5 had no success on my tryouts.

EDIT: Yes… others GA-Z68 had success others…like me didnt, so ur choice only. Good luck.

I have been running the new beta bios for a few months now, did it to get UEFI support.
So when the dual-bios recovery occurs, it gets me back to the unmodified beta bios.

If I had modded wrong, and lost the pad files, the pc wouldnt boot would it?

EDIT: aah, that seems to be what’s happening to me, maybe I should just give up on this idea on this specific board

I uploaded the original version and my modded version, maybe you checked the original? Im being able to boot off nvme with my modded

Could I maybe talk you into modding it for me for a small donation?

EDIT: Yeah I agree with you, your instructions matched the tutorial I found on this forum, and I used the same software mentioned, maybe I missed something. I’ll try again, just thought to suggest since you clearly have more experience with this and have been promptly helping, who knows… but Thank you for all the help, very much appreciated

You dont need me for this… i just told you the correct methods and versions to use, do the mod and ill check it, thats all i can do, i cant… and no one can assure u the correct function of the motherboard of flash itself, ur risk only as we all take it.
Its not by the mod being done by me that the stated issues i had in past and others members, will be fixed for u, this is an issue in this bios transitions files (So called Hybrid UEFI bios 2011/2012).

I re-did the steps using the compressed small module. Would you be so kind to check it for me?
Thank you

mod.zip (2.77 MB)

1 Like

@tarcis
Your mod seems ok, correct bios volume and original pad kept intact, good luck.