Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding "Invalid BIOS image"

Hi guys,

Got a modded Gigabyte Z390 bios I want to flash but won’t work in QFlash. Fails the test. Am I suppose to use EFIFlash or will FPTW64 be good enough?

Confused…

Thanks

@davidm71 - I replied to your PM with those same questions, but answer is on page 4 post #60, how to fix the Qflash issue.

If you use FPT, get BIOS region backup first (FPTw -bios -d backupname.bin) and then modify that, then flash back via FPT bios region (FPTw -bios -f modfilename.bin)

hello

can you help me modify Efiflash 0.74

z390-i-aorus-pro-wifi_f4

Efiflash 0.74.zip (46.4 KB)

@j1215557235 - this may be quicker for you than waiting on someone to modify EFIFlash >> Follow link in this post - Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding “Invalid BIOS image” (4)

When I download and make a FreeDos disk with a downloaded USB Lite image with Rufus I only am left with 108k of disk space on my 32GB USB and can’t put the EFIflash and the BIOS on the USB.

Can anyone help?

@KedarWolf - Use this method instead (Or expand that partition using partition tools or windows disk manager)
Win98 SE USB Boot (Follow steps 1-4 to create bootable USB)
<Request> Flagship X470 Gaming 7 Wifi Motherboard BIOS Fix

TY. :slight_smile:

Did you get it sorted out @KedarWolf ?

I made the USB, no matter what Efiflash I use i get a ‘Cannot enable line A20’ error. I think it’s an issue with the made USB, not a BIOS flashing problem. :frowning:

Edit: Trying a 2GB USB now.

Test stock BIOS with stock EFI flash on that “DOS made” USB, then you can confirm if it’s a BIOS/EFIFlash issue or the USB Creation issue

If it’s a USB issue, take the USB created with method I linked you to, and edit the Config.SYS file

Remove the following
dos=high,umb
files=64
buffers=32
stacks=9,256

Replace with only
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

This is my config.sys now. Still getting ‘Cannot enable line A20’ error. :frowning:

device=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1f0,14
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,15
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,12
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,11
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,9

LASTDRIVE=Z

the above is correct for this purpose. Try using another keyboard (or non-wireless one if you are using one now), PS/2 one if you can, sometimes this is due to keyboard issues.

What is the exact error, cannot find line A20, cannot control line A20, cannot enable line A20?

You can also try creating USB as my link suggested, but do not copy over the files again from USB Boot folder after using the HP tool, that will be a minimal DOS and still works as well.

Do you need a BIOS edited so you can use Qflash? if yes, attach and then you wont have to mess with this.

Finally got it to work!

I made the USB without copying the files after, then flashed the BIOS with the Efiflash that came with the BIOS using the /X parameter.

@KedarWolf - glad you finally got it sorted out! I think sometimes they disable some things in the BIOS, that messes with certain DOS, so it’s always a dance to figure it out.
Kind of like you used to be able to use SE from DOS on SSD easily maybe back around Z68 time period, now you have to find the right BIOS setting to allow, and sometimes it’s hidden from user too. Same for SPD Write to reflash memory SPD/XMP’s

Hello, thank you very much for this thread.
I am trying to flash the Gigabyte GA-AX370M-DS3H with a modified .rom BIOS.
I have tried different AFU executables and none seems to work.
I have tried the modded Efiflash too, but I think i need a file ending with .FX.
I even tried Afuewingui.
I always get “Error 46: Problem getting flash information” or it doesn’t boot into the drive.
I used Rufus with FreeDOS to format it.
Can I change the rom to a .FX Bios file maybe?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you
EDIT: It seems the OEM ID in the retail firmware is wrong.
Can anybody help me fix it?

@suikoden - Please link stock BIOS used, and upload your modified BIOS, maybe modified BIOS is faulty.
You already checked this via hex - Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding “Invalid BIOS image” (4)

You can rename your file anything you want, but FX or F5 or Bin or rom etc, all = the same to Gigabyte flash tools (Qflash recommended)
AFU is not recommended at all for flashing modified or stock Gigabyte BIOS, it’s never needed

Flash stock BIOS to your board using Qflash of the version you modified, then Qflash the mod BIOS.
I doubt ID is wrong, are you sure you have the correct BIOS per your board revision and model? It’s possible, but not likely.

Hi Lost_N_BIOS,
I have to correct myself i already have the latest stock BIOS (F24) and there appears to be something wrong with it because I can not flash any BIOS anymore, it doesn’t matter what I’m trying to install.
Modded Efiflash doesn’t seem to help either.
In another thread I found someone having the same issue as me and fixing the OEMID worked for them, I just don’t know how to do that.
Thank you

@suikoden - if you are 100% sure, I can fix for you, but it’s risky to flash if you don’t have BIOS switches on that board or a flash programmer.
Show me CPU-z Motherboard tab and BIOS image showing System Info (F7 or F9 I think, I believe this shows current BIOS ID)
Can you flash back to F23, if not, try doing it with @BIOS

Thank you so much, getting the info real quick and will edit it in.
EDIT: I can not flash down to any BIOS. Sorry for the blurry system information.

20190116_203549.jpg

cpuz.PNG

@suikoden - did you try to downflash to F23 using @BIOS, or F24 linked below? Also, please test flashing stock F23 and F24 via Qflash from within the BIOS itself
Is that motherboard name the exact one printed on your PCB/Motherboard itself? Do you only see OEMID error with @BIOS, or where are you seeing that, with stock BIOS?

Please try with @BIOS to flash latest official F24, you may need to install “App Center” first before you can install @BIOS
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Uti…_B18.0809.1.zip
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Uti…_B18.0517.1.zip

That F24c is beta BIOS, not stock official. Latest (and newer than F24c) is F24 final
http://download.gigabyte.cn/FileList/BIO…0m-ds3h_f24.zip

BIOS ID is correct in your BIOS vs F23/F24/F24c, and OEMID is normally a ME flashing FW thing, which you are not trying to do. Please show me where/with what you get this OEMID error.

BIOSID-OK.png

Flash ID is same across all three as well

FID.png

Do you have flash programmer?