[GA-B85-HD3] i5 4460 CPU Microcode 7 - what I\'m doing wrong?

I read all the instrucion how to apply microcode, and even with a friend who knows how to do it better than me, I can’t get the proper OS launch with microcode 7 installed.
After I did all the steps and flashed the bios, after the restart it shows black screen. I restored default BIOS settings (through dual-bios option by holding pins 1+6).

i.imgur.com/hHxsD1Q. png (can’t post images - there is space before “png”. link is clear)

I flashed the BIOS through @BIOS app on APP Center from Gigabyte, also i changed the filename as .F4 (instead of bin. The orginal bios name is “B85HD32.F4” so mine was mod_bios.F4)
Not sure if I miss something or it’s not more possible to use this microcode on this motherboard/CPU. Any info is appreciated, cheers

What was the bricked bios- main or backup? Were you able to restore the bricked bios from the working one?

For your mod there are 2 possiblities: MC 7 is to low for Haswell refresh or UBU did brick the bios- or you did do anyting else to that bios.

Make the 2nd bios working again, modify the stock F4 bios with the latest µcode 28, try again. If it’s works µcode 7 may be too old. If it doesn’t work it’s the modification itself- attach bios with mod for checking (and µcode 7 could still be too old)

The best thing is that, when I first tried to apply microcode I was try to using the latest (28). The effect was the same - i got black screen, but after removing battery for about half hour and re-enter, OS started and then I launched bios optimized settings. The revision in bios says it was: 0000028, and when I tried to enable turbo boost with all cores x34 after rebot I again got black screen (removed battery for 5 minutes) then loaded optimized defaults and not tried to change anything in BIOS.

i.imgur.com/dKQFWOY. png

There come my friend and tried to help me, I edited MCUpdate.txt with his preferable settings on #LGA1150 which should apply the microcode 7 (wchich you can see on first post). I flashed bios again and this time removing battery didn’t help. I spend 1-2 days on fixing the issue with black screen and finally the short circuit of pins 1+6 helped me. After OS started I don’t had bios recovery, but the same things to do (enter setup, load optimized default and reebot, load optimized default and boot).

Tbh I’m not sure on what bios i am currently on and can’t find any information about this in BIOS but I found that on Gigabyte mobo’s you never can’t flash backup bios as it will always run on factory settings. (post from “Gigabyte” in 2019, but unfortunately i can’t find it anymore Edit:// you can find it on reddit, I can’t copy links)

Edit2:// Funny thing. After installing microcode 28 bios revision says: 0000028 (after removing battery and re-enter) after installing microcode 7 bios revision says: 00000028. (after the short circut of pins) Now i flashed default F4 bios, revision says: 0000019

Sadly, but i can’t attach files.

I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with dual bios. afaik it recovers main bios automatically from backup, but there was earlier(?) an option to update backup bios from main bios. Anyway it’d be important not to brick the backup bios, otherwise you might need a programmer for recovery.

Please do a backup of a/ the working bios! (Stock bios doesn’t include board specific data like serial, mac address…)

You are aware of that the OS will update the µcode itself? Windows uses for example mcupdate_genuineintel.dll, contents can be checked with MCE, for 306C3 it’s 27 or 28 in 20H2, depending on if you applied latest update manually.

Attaching will be possible after some posts (but you did use an external provider for pictures, too).