Gigabyte B85M-H3D 30min Shutoff

Holy! Okay that’s a lot to do. I’ll get started and try to do it step by step…

I could install the INF package, but when I went to install the MEI drivers it says "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the software."

I’ve also noticed in event viewer it says “LMS cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver”. So i’m not sure if that’s related but that’s only ever happened since this 30min shutoff problem.

Not sure if you’d like me to continue so i’ll wait to see what you want me to do next.

I’ve downloaded the edited F12 bios but haven’t flashed that yet.

That being said, im unsure if you meant download the drivers, reflash twice and then try to install the drivers, and then FPT flash?

Let me know sorry, just a little confusing and I don’t want to mess the computer up further haha

Cheers.

What operating system are you using? Did you choose the correct ME driver per your OS type? This may all be due to the ME FW is corrupted anyway, meaning you’ll have to FPT from DOS instead.

Drivers I meant install first, if you can, if not then you will have to FPT from DOS. Try the FPT in dos first, before flashing the BIOS I sent, then if no luck, do the BIOS dance I mentioned, and then try FPT from DOS again.
Then once done, flash back stock BIOS, to enable ME (ME Is disabled in the BIOS I posted, to enable ME Re-Flash)

Sorry I haven’t gotten anywhere with this in almost two weeks. Not having a computer has been different so it wasn’t a super high priority.

Formatting a DOS usb right now and will attempt flashing the me firmware via dos & fpt.

I’ll let you know how I go with that and if its a no go, I think i’m understanding it that I have to flash the modded Bios, boot back into bios to flash it a second time and rebooting to see if ME is functioning. If it is flash back to stock bios?

Second BIOS flash is with stock BIOS, to put stock BIOS back on there (instead of the mod BIOS I sent you with ME Re-Flash enabled), otherwise if you don’t do that and leave that mod BIOS in then ME Re-Flash is enabled and ME FW will still look corrupted to you since it’s disabled when ME Re-Flash is enabled.

Fell asleep in the middle of formatting the USB. It was taking a long time so I’m not sure if it went through. I’ll attempt on a smaller USB this morning after work. So just to clarify the steps are:
1. Try to flash me firmware via dos & fpt.
2. Reboot and see if ME is fixed, if not,
3. Flash modded bios via QFlash
4. Try flash ME firmware via dos & fpt.
5.Reboot into bios and flash the stock bios via QFlash
6… Reboot to see if ME is fixed.

Sorry. Just a little confusing with the “if this doesn’t work, do this” sort of instructions.

Cheers

Alright, tried to flash ME firmware via DOS and FPT, to no avail, error 7 once again.

Flashed the Modded BIOS on, booted into windows and attempted to flash ME Firmware via FPT. Error 7 again.

However, before I go any further, I attempted to install the drivers as windows can now “see” the MEI hardware, but says there’s an issue with it so it hadn’t started.

I reinstalled the drivers and they actually installed, auto rebooted and now it’s saying the MEI hardware is working correctly. (Although I still get the “LMS cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver” error in event viewer, plus a new one “A provider, IntelMEProv, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace root\Intel_ME to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.” if that helps)

I’m just waiting out another 15 minutes to see if it shuts down, but if not i’m guessing that it somehow got fixed by your modded bios?

I’m confused as to why it can see the MEI hardware now :S it couldn’t see it at all previously so maybe something got fixed in the flashing of the modded bios and I don’t need to flash my ME firmware?

----------------

Well, as I type this my computer has been on for about 32 minutes. :smiley: Fingers crossed and touch wood! Not sure what fixed it but you may be able to elaborate.

I’m still currently on the modded bios btw, so if it doesn’t shut down on me, I should change to stock bios when I get the chance hey?

----------------
I just re-read the ME is disabled in the modded bios so that’s why it’s not shutting down after 30mins correct? So the firmware is still corrupt >.<

at the very least, I can use my computer with this BIOS.

Wow, yes, should not make you fall asleep to format a USB, you’re using “Quick format” correct? If not, use that, it’s all you need

1. no, no try, only do or do not (can’t/fail etc)
2. If ME
flash succeeds at #1, then no, you can’t check ME FW yet, need to reflash stock BIOS first.
3. No, mod BIOS should be flashed in before #1
4. OK, if you’re here now, then I suppose
5. No, here you flash ME Via DOS or windows, if you just at step #4 flashed in mod BIOS (The point of that BIOS is to allow ME Re-flash via BIOS update and disable BIOS interface lock (shouldn’t be needed), but that setting has nothing to do with FPT)
6. Here, reflash stock BIOS once ME is flashed.

Yes, I agree, confusing the way you laid it out back to me too I know it’s confusing me now too, if I had the board in my hand I’d be done in a second and hand it right back to you

Mod BIOS has nothing to do with flashing ME via FPT directly, although I thought maybe the BIOS interface lock disabled might help but it’s never needed, this is mainly made to reflash BIOS via Qflash and hopefully reflash ME in that process
Do Qflash mod BIOS twice, see post #20 again, then flash via Qflash stock BIOS - then check ME FW in BIOS Main page or windows etc.

Yes, once mod BIOS is flashed, ME FW is disabled. So, once ME FW is disabled, system will not shut down at 30 minutes anymore, but you have no ME this way, which controls fans, system power delivery, connectivity and management, many things. You don’t want that, end goal is ME FW fixed, then enabled.

When you copied files to USB to do the DOS flash, you copied all files from the DOS FPT folder onto the root of the USB Correct? And you still get error 7 - hardware sequencing failed? If yes, please wait, lets see if plutomaniac knows why this is

plutomaniac Gigabyte BIOS (So all unlocked at FD per usual, image of dumped FD hex and relevant setup IFR at post #18) - corrupted ME FW, can’t flash it via FPT in windows or DOS due to error 7 hardware sequencing failed - do you know the reason this happens or how to get around it?

No I don’t. Use the in-BIOS flasher for older Gigabyte boards.

Is there a setting to flash the ME firmware via Bios?

So the correct process aside from above is
1. Flash modded bios
2. Flash modded bios again
3. Try flash via for in dos
4. If the fw is flashed swap back to stock
5. Check if ME is working correctly via Bios? (Unsure how to do this)

Thanks plutomaniac hopefully we can get it without having to get a flash programmer, I’ve never seen such hassles on a Gigabyte board (old or new)

@Lyrikalx - I enabled ME Re-Flash in mod BIOS I sent you, that is why in that post I said to reflash BIOS (That mod BIOS) twice, if not asked if you want to update full or fast/partial BIOS update when using Qflash.
No flashing in DOS or windows with FPT, unless you want to try that before all this, from DOS only, but I thought we already know outcome of both ways - error 7

1. Flash mod BIOS from post #20 using Qflash, reboot and load optimized defaults, then reboot back to BIOS again
2. If during above flash you are not asked full or fast/partial BIOS update, then yes, flash it again after reboot back to BIOS (Load optimized once again after that reboot)
3. Flash stock BIOS
4. Check ME on BIOS main page if shown there, if not check with HWINFO64 (On the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, then check ME FW Version) If not N/A or 0.0.0.0 then problem solved

5. If BIOS shows ME FW = N/A or 0.0.0.0 still, or same in HWINFO if BIOS doesn’t show the ME FW version, some BIOS do not have this visible to user, then you need to order flash programmer (like CH341A) + SOIC8 test clip cable to fix.

These are less than $6 total shipped on ebay for both - example links below
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

@Lyrikalx - Did you ever get this sorted out? If not, another user just referenced your thread with same issue and same board, and we got it fixed with EFIFlash (that comes with stock BIOS)
Here’s the thread if you still need to fix your board, see posts #8-9 for how to fix your ME FW - Gigabyte B85M-D3H strikes back (every 30 minutes)