Gigabyte H61M-S2PV Bios check and Mods

I have a GA-H61M-S2PV (rev. 2.0), and I’m currently interested on checking and unlocking the RAM speed (mhz) settings.

According to Gigabyte this MB only supports 1333mhz maximum, and the specs only talk about support for XMP profiles for rev 2.1 and 2.2 (only for Ivy Bridge).

I know this is false (probably), because of this video: https://youtu.be/8FH5z44zedM?t=1m23s (min 1:23) What we see is an ivy Bridge 3770k on a Rev 2.0 with the first Bios FD, supporting XMP profiles, and being able to select up to 3000mhz for ram speed.

I know the Sandy Bridge limitation is true. Because I have an i3-2120 and I don’t have XMP profile options an RAM speed locked to 1333 max. I know this is looked for Sandy Bridge K series too, as they say here http://www.pcaxe.com/hardver/maticne-plo…m-s2pv/strana-8

What I want to know is, will the Ram speed will be unlocked with an Ivy bridge non-k? Because I plan to buy an i5-3570S. I didn’t find any user online with this setup yet so I want to find out disassembling the BIOS. And possible try to mod it to unlock the RAM speed if it’s not unlocked for non-k series.

So I followed this threat [Guide] Manual AMI UEFI BIOS Modding , I have the MMTool.exe, and I can see the “internals” off the BIOS. But I have no clue, of how I can see for what CPU’s the RAM mhz is unlocked, that’s where I need your help.

H61MS2PV.rar (2.48 MB)

Hi!

If you want to use higher-than-stock RAM clocks, do not use a CPU with suffix S.
S-Models are not made to overclock (regardless of memory or core clock).
If you only want to change RAM speed, use i5-3570 (without any suffix, about 40€ difference).

XMP support is implemented in BIOS. If the newer versions don’t support it, just do a downgrade to version FD.

Best Regards,
Mr nUUb

Thanks for your answer.
The Problem is that probably mhz are locked and XMP not available for Sandy Bridge on any Bios version. Because of the web review, and I don’t remember to see that when I had FD.

On the Rev 2.1 specs it says “* To support XMP memory, you must install an Intel 22nm (Ivy Bridge) CPU.” I does not say that on 2.0 Rev, but I believe is the same.

Which are the “FileNames” on MMtool that control these settings?

2.1 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-…spx?pid=4294#sp
2.0 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-…spx?pid=4091#sp

On the S-series topic, If I get 1866 with an 3570S (I hope, it’s just an “increment” of what Intel guaranties) and 2133 with an 3570, I still prefer the S. I like efficiency, low noise etc.
Anyways that’s something I can research later how S-series deal with Ram speed, but first step is be sure at least I’m able to select more than 1333mhz.

To clarify some things:
Rev 1.0: Initial Design
Rev 2.0: Revamped Design
Rev 2.1: Improved 2.0
Rev 2.2: Improved 2.1

Furthermore, the BIOS revisions show, that Rev 1.0 is something totally different than Rev 2.x (as all Rev 2.x boards share the same BIOS revision numbering).

The XMP support is most likely implemented in main BIOS code.
A modification of this part of the BIOS will most likely brick your board.

PS: BIOS changelog is something wonderful:
Rev 2.0, BIOS Version FD: "Enhanced DRAM OC ability"
I think this means "we implemented XMP support".

Yes XMP is implemented, there’s proof on the video, a Rev 2.0 FD with an Ivy Bridge-k. But I’m not sure if a non-k will be able to select a +1333mhz XMP profile, or if it will have the Memory Multiplayer unlocked.

Do yo think that the FD “Enhanced DRAM OC ability” is not in the newer BIOS? I think that I will see (or be able to do) the same with my Sandy bridge, but I can try.

The K just means unlocked multiplier and has nothing to do with memory OC.
Non-K CPUs must be overclocked via BCLK.

Example:
Stock: 100 MHz x 20 = 2000 MHz
Non-K OC: 133 MHz x 20 = 2660 MHz
K OC: 100 MHz x 26 = 2600 MHz

As you can see, the suffix K just changes CPU OC options.

If it is implemented in version FD, it’s unlikely that they removed it later on.

As it is stated, only an Ivy Bridge CPU is needed.
The different steppings (N0 for non-K and E1 for K) are not mentioned.

But if you only change the DRAM multiplier with a non-k, the BCLK stays the same right? Or Ram multiplier is locked too?

I see some non-k are E1 stepping like 3550S http://www.gigabyte.com/support-download…p.aspx?pid=4127 , but if are not mentioned as you say, I guess is irrelevant.

The RAM multiplier (which in fact is a DRAM:FSB divider, like 4:5) was never linked to the CPU multiplier.

Stock:
- FSB: 100 MHz
- Mult: 26
- Core: 2.6 GHz
- RAM: 1066 MHz

non-K OC:
- FSB: 133 MHz
- Mult: 26
- Core: 3.5 GHz
- RAM: would be 1418 MHz (too high), must be lowered like 1200 MHz

K OC:
- FSB: 100 MHz
- Mult: 35
- Core: 3.5 GHz
- RAM: stays at 1066 MHz

As you can see, only the BCLK (or FSB) and memory divider can change the memory clock.
The CPU multiplier does not change the memory clock.

Some information regarding to XMP:
This feature just reads the clock and timing of the installed modules,
and sets this information in BIOS.
If you know these settings, you don’t need XMP and set them manually.
It just 1 setting (XMP) vs 20 settings (manual), which is comfortable, quick and less annoying.

PS: Gigabytes decision to link XMP to Ivy Bridge is weird…

I know XMP are just profiles, to make a fast correct setup, but as I said RAM multiplier, so RAM Mhz are locked for Sandy Bridge too, so I cannot configure any more than 1333mhz, I can change all the timings but not mhz.
On the 3770k video he can select up to 3000mhz in little increments, I only have 3 options 800, 1066, 1333.

Yeah, this is Gigabytes decision to link memory OC to a CPU generation.
Even my old Core i7 920 (1st generation, Nehalem/Bloomfield) supports XMP.

One reason more to avoid Gigabyte mainboards.

But as I said before, all should befine as long as an Ivy Bridge CPU and XMP compatible memory is used.