Gigabyte X470/ X570 Aorus BIOS mod thread

I get and hear about a surprising amount of people wanting me to make Aorus X470 / X570 modded firmware so consider this thread me putting out a feeler. Same rules as for the X370 thread I’m tired of fixing GBs mess so let’s do things on a donation basis, whatever my time is worth to you. To get things rolling a bit to see how things go I’ll be grabbing an X470 firmware image for the Gaming 5 and doing some mods to that so people can try it out and let me know how it goes. It’ll take me a few days to do it but in the meantime if you own an X470/570 board and want to see some modded firmware for it post in this thread.

X470 Modded Firmware:

Gaming 7 WIFI F31M

I would like to see if the pcie gen 4 in the F50 bios the latest released so far for a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 wifi rev 1.0. but they are constantly updating the bios right now so this may be to soon to ask for. It seems 1 or 2 updates monthly lately to the bios makes this to much trouble probably for you to keep it up to date.

+1 Gaming 7 x470

pci 4.0 would be realy nice!

1 Like

They have not had any new updates since the F50 bios. Maybe if this could be possible it would be awesome for you to look at for us and let us know if it’s even possible to do with agesa.bios thank you again

P.S. I’m not sure how donations work but if this section is not dead yet and if Ket is willing to look into the f50 bios for the wifi gaming 7 mobo I’ll donate to here for sure :slight_smile: I really want the gen 4 back and the old bios would force my 3900x to run all core at 4300 constantly and it was messed up but my gen 4 sad was able to run full speed, which was the only thing positive. Now I’m on the F50 bios on the x470 and the gen 3 is locked forcing the ssd to run at 1500mbps less than half the speed 4.0 provided.

I would Like to See a modded F50 BIOS for x470 gaming 7 top. Donation included!

I haven’t forgotten about this @oOoCLOUDoOo or @Mili2110 or anyone else just lots to do right now :wink: PCIe 4.0 might be possible for me to bring back in to the latest firmware but it might have a lot of compatibility issues so probably the best option here would be to modify the last firmware GB released that still had the PCIe 4.0 option. If anyone at GB, Asus, or wherever tries to say PCIe 4.0 on X470 boards isn’t possible then I can tell you all it would depend on the PCB design if trace length is cited as a reason for why PCIe 4 isn’t doable then you can tell them that is BS, signal quality does degrade the longer the traces are but not to the degree some manufacturers / engineers would try and make out. The real problem is with the quality of the redrivers on the board, any half decent redriver should be capable of PCIe 4 however it would be “unverified” as there was no specific design spec to adhere to for X470 but for the most part a good chunk of X470 boards at least should quite happily support PCIe 4 in at least the primary GPU or M.2 slot.

Thank you Ket i always circle back to check up on here to see any updates. I have reverted back to the F41 bios for now i dont seem to have any issues right now running the gen 4.0 just wish they didnt lock it out. I wonder what would be available for unlocking in the newer bios if there was a ram timing boot attempt increase or anything positive they havent already made open to us.

If the agesa gen 4 in F50 is as easy as flicking a switch that would be worth it to pay to try. these boards have dual bios so its not like ill kill it.

I have a random question on the gen 4 subject… If the 2700x has 20 pcie gen 3 lanes and the 3900x has 20 pcie gen 4 lanes does this equal 40 gen 3 lanes total doubling the overall lanes or is this somehow still restricted to 20 lanes gen 3/4 no matter what?
Thank you again Ket and anyone who may shed light on this for me.

@oOoCLOUDoOo Physically the Ryzen 3900X has 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes however depending how you want to split that question you could say that technically the CPU has up to 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes (including the lanes reserved for the chipset) due to the reduced bandwidth requirements of PCIe 3.0, so if you use a lot of PCIe devices and are pushing the limits of a CPU such as the 3900X configuring some PCIe devices to use 3.0 or 2.0 specs instead of 4.0 specs might be beneficial as while you wouldn’t be freeing up any physical PCIe lanes you would be freeing up PCIe bandwidth other devices should be able to use. This isn’t anything I’ve tested though so that freed up bandwidth might just sit idle and not be used at all on more demanding PCIe 4.0 devices and you would be limited to how you can configure the lanes depending on available options in the BIOS usually its just 16x, 8+8, or 4+4+4+4 with the option of universally setting PCIe 4.0, 3.0 or 2.0 across those lanes. Some drivers for some devices may allow you to manually specify how much bandwidth the device should use however.

Hold tight @Mili2110 I’m putting together an Aorus Gaming 7 test firmware, F31, just to see how things behave before doing anything more recent.

Thank you ket!

Added F31 test firmware @Mili2110

Thank you ket!!! I will test it on the weekend!

Let me know how it goes @Mili2110

I’ll test it tomorrow and write in about it. I downloaded it from your link the other day, but had to order a memory card to flash it in bios easy. What changes have been made did I miss the post. And thank you for the answer on the PCIe lanes. I have 1 gen 4 nvme installed when I used the bottom slot it was running gen4x2 so I swapped it with the top slot now it is running gen4x4 full speed my alternate nvme is a 600p Intel gen3 so having it set to gen4 it has gen4x2(gen3x4) it seems to run better than before it was slower running gen3 x2 in the bottom in userbenchmark. I really like the interface that the f41 bios has and when they went to f50 it seems they reverted everything back losing the graphical rgb interface. If the F41 has anything more to give or the F50 could get gen4 back i would love to test that out. And I’ll be donating very soon just have to get some extra money with this quarantine life is sucking and I want to do something. I was thinking about lapping my 3900x for fun but am afraid ill do it lopsided… anyways that was a side thought stupid cpu hits 78c on one tmp sensor as the rest float around 56 really hurting my top end having to lower speeds and was thinking the ihs may be wonky and not flat

Also the older F31 bios used to set my cpu to 4350mhz all core and it never fluctuated correctly the voltages were wrong and they had a lot of problems. The F41 had all that fixed then they BORKED all of it after that. Thank you again @Ket your awesome.

AMD are pretty good usually with their integration of the IHS they use indium to attach the IHS to the cores and normally the IHS itself is pretty flat, you can try lapping it but don’t be surprised if you don’t gain much. I’d try the glass paine water test first myself, its literally a drop of water on the IHS and then gently press down a small glass pane, if everything spreads out quite well lapping the IHS shouldn’t be necessary. Older gen drives tend to do a little better when put on newer ports so I’m not surprised a gen3 drive is doing a bit better on a gen4 slot. Theres quite a lot of extra stuff with the modded firmware you’ll be quite surprised when you dig in and explore :wink: We are all aboard the USS Isolation for the moment but there is a bright side - I have more time to turn out modded firmwares

I’m not surprised about this its not the first time GB have messed things up badly, Let me know how it all goes

Okay sorry I’m a few days late had trouble with the dumb memory card I am flashing it as I’m typing from @bios in windows. After unzipping the rom file is read and starts no problem.
…waiting…for…install… :slight_smile:
Directly after finishing I pressed reboot in the @bios and it turned windows off but has not fully rebooted.will wait a minute before I hard shutdown.
Is the mobo code ill have to check gigabyte troubleshoot codes after this.
I had to toggle my SB to 1 then I switched my bios_sw to the alternate my 2 booted my system into bios then switched back to the f31 modified bios 1 while still in bios and now am running qflash back to the previous f41 because the 2 was f50a I flashed both with the newest a while back.
Still haven’t looked up 07
Its saying the ram timing for 06-07 i may have to pull 2 of the 4 sticks of ram out for stability.
But am already in the middle of flashing back. I’ll wait for your ideas maybe I may try again but not during typing.

@oOoCLOUDoOo Flashing from Windows is going to cause serious problems, theres a reason why I design these modified images to be flashed with QFlash directly on system boot or through an EFI shell You’re also going to get problems because you are trying to downgrade the firmware manufacturers typically do not allow this because of AGESA changes I override these lockouts allowing for downgrades which is why you must flash these modified images through QFlash (not Winderp version) or through an EFI shell as this will allow for a complete erase and reprogramming of the ROM. Theres also quite a lot of footnotes with GB boards, especially for 3rd gen Zen and 4 DIMM compatibility, specifically in your case; You need at least F40 to run that 3900X, so the F31 version I modified likely won’t do you any good I’d need to check manually if theres any support for 3rd gen Zen with F31 GB simply didn’t bother to mention.

There are a LOT of other footnotes from GB as well you need to be mindful of and if you didn’t do any of these steps you really should completely erase the ROM from an EFI shell to make sure everything “takes” properly. I don’t know why GB made this process for the newer firmwares such a mess, but thats GB for you I suppose.

1. F31 was the last simple firmware image, which is to say no hoops required to jump through before/when updating so consider this your baseline safety net.
2. From F31 and BEFORE updating to F40 you MUST run the EC FW Update Tool B19.0517.1 (or newer) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs (this is probably why you get no POST with moded F31)
3. Now you can safely update to F40
4. Now you can update to F50

If you need to know how to erase and update from an EFI shell I detail how you can do this >>HERE<< under “How To Flash”.

Any updates @oOoCLOUDoOo ? If necessary I can do an experimental firmware using more updated code in your case.