[Guide] Adding Bifurcation Support to ASUS X79 UEFI BIOS

@kosh06
Use https://mintywhite.com/vista/striped-volumes/ or https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to…s-10,36783.html method.
You will need to have windows installed on a seperate disk first.

@kosh06 - you can RAID those drives like you mention, but only as a secondary device/drive, you can’t boot from a RAID like that, at least not from what I know and what JackSted mentioned above at post #58 too.
So you can have that array for your video processing if you want, if you can set your programs to use that array as the working area, but you’ll have to boot from some other single drive or single NVME etc

[[File:Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 17.54.05.png]]

i have 4 x M.2 card on my Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card. My card only visable 2 NVME slot (functional) i put Bifurcation Support to ASUS X79 and add 4x4x4x4. Mabe you no whats is problem? why not all 4 cards are recognized?

@1000 I don’t know why 4x4x4x4 doesnt work properly, and the way it doesn’t work is stranger still, the first and last bifurcated x4 lanes work.
My watercooling setup prevents me from trying the top slot you could try that first this would be IOU2.
My theory is that either the middle 2 bits the bios menu sets are incorrect, root port 3b and 3c are missing somewhere in BIOS or that this slot is missing some electrical components to allow it.
The practical thing to do if your in a hurry would be to exchange the 4 250GB drives you have for 2 500GB drives or to purchase another Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card.

(My watercooling setup prevents me from trying the top slot you could try that first this would be IOU2.)

I tray on top slot , not different

@1000
Please test this BIOS http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00089861505724114534.
I changed default and failsafe link speed to PCIE 3.0 some were set to 2.0 on the same slot. Maybe this fixes link training since all 4 NVME ports probably share a single clock through a clock buffer on the card.

@JackSted

Don’t forget turning on extended sync and a timeout value of 10,000. I found that helps.

1 Like

I tried with you new Bios but did not help.

@davidm71 Extended sync and the max link training settting of 1000 did not fix the problem.
With 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on IOU3 somehow Rootport 3A and 3C show up which in my tests map to NVME port 1 and 4.
3B and 3D are not showing up in windows (device manager) and apparently MACOS.
Do you have a clue what’s going on?

And with me there is no help with these options:
(Extended sync and the max link training settting of 1000 did not fix the problem)

i think problem in BIOS, bug in moded version. PCI port number is not correct i need add 4x4x4x4 on port IOU3 a Asus card is on port IOU2, then i have visable 2 NVME card of 4 card.
Cay you make moded to 4x4x4x4? add more bifurcation on that port? mabe he not correct write value.

i find one BIOS image on web.
IOU2=PCIe Port 1
IOU1= PCI port 3
IOU0= PCI port 2

https://blog.donbowman.ca/2017/10/06/pci…tion-explained/

in my BIOS i not have: IOU0
and i have card on:
IOU3 = PCI port 2 make (4x4x4x4)

Sorry to get back to you late. What I would try is to use RU.EFI to set the values of the variables involved and take notes of the effect.

In my testing when I was bifurcating my X99 I had like four different ports or variables corresponding to those ports in the Setup module I could set on and off in RU.
What was weird was that not always did the variable I thought responsible for bifurcating the port resulted in the desired effect. I have to try to
find my notes if I still even have them but the point is it takes trial and error. Wish I could have been more helpful.

I compared the menu options of the Gigabyte GA-6PXSV4 the Asus Z9PE-D8-WS which have bifurcation by default with the P9X79 and setting the bifurcation bit to 00 for x4x4x4x4 is in all of them.
The supermicro board you mention does not seem to have IOU0 as DMI routed to the PCH which is not reference standard.
My current theory is that bios is missing devices like root port 3B and 3D. At this moment I have yet to find out how to add those.
The source you mention does also say “I also did this on AMI BIOS 4801 2014-07-25 on Asus p9x79 pro”. I will make the appropriate mods to the 4801 version for sabertooth later today.
However as this guy does not tell us specifically that he used x4x4x4x4 on P9X79 Pro I would not get my hopes up.
EDIT: @1000 MOD-PciSub+SysAgent+NVME-Boot-SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4801.zip

I test this version of bios and i need setup 4x4x4x4 on IOU2 and IOU3 to show my 2 pcs NVME card of all 4 (the other two cards are still not visible.).
Last Bios version i only setup on IOU3 4x4x4x4 to show 2 NVME card.

@1000 Im sorry to say that since I cannot find a solution to your problem my advice is to exchange your 4 250GB NVME drives for 2 500GB ones.

Alright :frowning: . If you have any idea, I’ll be there.
Thank on you help.

Hello
I gave my card asus mini with a ssd m2,
I looked for an adapter with the possibility to put two M2 key M but I did not find anything that could be mounted in Raid
With the map hyper M 2 I managed to see the two Ssd M2 on port 3 of the motherboard on positions 1 and 4
thank you to all of you

This Bifurcation Support for X79 looks awesome! I know my Board does have something like bifurcation options in my bios, but its not working at all.
I already managed to implement the nvme stuff to run an m2 as bootable disk.

Have you got any idea how to get startet modding the Bios of an Asus Z9pe D8 WS Bios with an c602 Chipset for bifurcation support?

@3dsmaxer
Bifurcation should work with this bios http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…294451722268602 for your motherboard using “Advanced > Chipset Configuration > CPU IIO Bridge Configuration” in the bios. Any 4 slot Nvme card (except supermicro those can break stuff) should be in PCIe port 1(IOU2), 3(IOU3), 5(IOU2 second instance) or 7(IOU3 second instance) on setting x4x4x4x4 . What NVME carrier card are you using?

@JackSted
I’m trying to use an Asus Hypercard V2 with 4 M2 Slots.
In the past, i was doing an bios modd on myself due several “tutorials” over here. So the link you’ve posted got a biosfile which should work? If so, I’m going to try it and flashing my bios again with this modd.

I’ve already enabled bifurcation in my bios and when i ran HWinfo, it shows

PCI Bus#0 :
PCI Express Root Port 1a
PCI Express Root Port 1b

So is it already working?

I got the card in the first PCI Port installed, but its listed at PCI Express Root Port 2

@3dsmaxer30
Nice work on the modding, if you have the menu I mentioned that is. If you do I’d change these settings before flashing the one i posted:
PCIe port 1 is IOU2 in the bios. I think you put IOU1 on x4x4 instead of IOU2 on x4x4x4x4.

The numbers don’t correspond from the BIOS to the Physical port number in the manual. From the top i think i’ts
PCIe port 1=IOU2 x16
PCIe port 2=IOU1 x8
PCIe port 3=IOU3 x16
PCIe port 4=IOU0 second instance* x8
PCIe port 5=IOU2 second instance x16
PCIe port 6=IOU1 second instance* x8
PCIe port 7=IOU3 second instance x16
*might be switched around not sure