[Guide] AMI (non-UEFI) BIOS Modding

@ greeny18:
Thanks for your feedback - it is fine, that you succeeded.

Many users (inclusive myself) had problems with the ASMedia AHCI ROM v0.954. Maybe the v0.951 is better.

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. I guess I can use the same procedure for the v0.951 firmware?

Yes!

My first post here. This site is an excellent insight into BIOS editing. Well done those involved - Fernando (Dieter) and Co.

I’ve successfully edited (yet to flash) an EVGA X58 4 Way SLI BIOS with relevant ROMs and will look to post later when the system is ready.

To my question. I’m looking at another system that has non-UEFI AMI BIOS (Dell Alienware Area 51) using MMTOOL 3.26 it is able to extract the various roms etc. However I was looking into the OEM Logo and extracted it (uncompressed) and can not workout which format the OEM Logo is in.

I Tried renaming with extension PCX, BMP, JPG, other discussions etc even tried HxD to determine the format and no joy. I’m guessing I’ve done something wrong or its in a format I’m not aware of.

Has anyone any ideas? Appreciate any feedback.
[[File:MMTOOL.jpg|none|auto]]

Extracted OEM Logo (uncompressed)

EDIT: Worked it out Just realized that there is HEX values on the first line that maybe related to the extract or the the way the image is stored… THe file is BMP . Although it would be great to ID what the code represents…

test.rar (72.1 KB)

@ avictord:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, the "OEM Logo" file within the BIOS is usually a bitmap (.bmp) one.

I cannot open the file you had attached. Please reupload it as a zip or rar file.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I cannot open the file you had attached. Please reupload it as a zip or rar file.

Thanks for the Welcome a very helpful site…(Donation should be there)

Ive placed the RAR file in the previous post. If you remove the first line from the file and it exposes the Bitmap. I’m not sure what the first line represents and its importance. It also appears twice in the file (two BMP’s ??).

Cheers

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted text deleted (to save space)

I suspect, that is just a header of the OEM Logo module with the information code, at which situation the image should be used/shown.

Why not use the official tool from AMI? It’s called AMIBIOS8 OEMLOGO. Attached below.

Note: For Aptio IV and Aptio V a different tool called ChangeLogo (v4 & v5 respectively) is needed which can be found at this forum here and there.

[[File:AMIBIOS8_OEMLOGO_v3.0.8.PNG|none|auto]]

Plutomaniac’s solution is obviously the safest and best. But it is not that hard to deduce the header. It is “24 4F 53 42 01 36 57 07” which equals to signature $OSB + 01 + size of image (little indian) + 00 [x]. The same size is also stored in image header, after BM signature.

The two images are meant for different screen configuration:

AMIBIOS.png

Thanks for the responses back (plutomaniac and lordkag). I did find ChangeLogo but missed OEMLogo.

I tried OEMLogo and the BMP embedded fails to extract properly from the ROM, however, If I replace the BMP it works fine when extracted.

The OEMLogo displays errors on both the Small Logo (“module does not exists in ROM”) and the OEM Logo itself (“this ROM file doesn’t contain valid logo module”) is reported when attempting to open the ROM. The latter error disappears if I replace the Logo BMP as mentioned.

Thanks again.

I am interested how to enabling s/pdif on notebook that it does not factory installed,Soldering is not a problem the problem is how to enabling in software(bios,driver) windows7 32bit
Do I need to change the BIOS or driver or both?
translated >Google Translate<
spdif-toslink-mod
I have the bios rom-AMI Bios Medion-E122X_0103
MMTOOL v3.26
Thanks!

@ Rikikiki:

Although I am not an expert regarding this sort of BIOS modding, I doubt, that you will be able to fully implement the natively not supported "Sony-Philips-digital-interface".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

that’s I was afraid only with linux it possible

Hello, i’m new here I’ve tried to modify my bios with mmtool and when i flash it i always get a checksum error on booting isn’t this utility supposed to do checksum correction?

@ marco26:

I cannot help you right now, because I am not at home.
What have you tried to modify?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

My motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and i’m running Asus P6X58D Premium bios because it has cpu voltage offset for overclocking. I was trying to update cpu microcode for the latest version which was extracted from sabertooth X58 bios with mmtool but was having bios checksum error…tried with a different version of mmtool and i have successfully updated it now! :slight_smile:

Now i’m trying to change splash screen with the tool posted above OEM LOGO and I’ve successfully extracted splash screen from rampage III bios but if i replace it with the oem logo and still have bios checksum error.

I’ve attached my bios already updated with the latest cpu microcode for my Xeon X5650 and the splash screen that i’m trying to replace.

Thanks.

Bios
splash screen

Edit: So I’ve used mmtool to insert the splash screen and it worked

But i still have a little issue i have 2 “INTEL” instead of one…the second one should come from another string but which one?

here is a picture to help visualize the issue.

Edit2: solved with a bit of ms paint skills

Just wanted to say thank you! Stumbled upon this page while trying to figure out why my new Win10 installation gives me BSOD’s once in a while with the latest RST installed.

Ended up realizing I have an antique ROM for my old ICH8R (running RAID 1) dating back to 2008! Updated Intel RAID ROM to version 11 with the help of your guide. Dunno whether that will solve my BSOD problem, but it feels good to be running on newer firmware for my RAID chipset.

Cheers!

@ seemebreakthis:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

Have fun with your successfully modded BIOS!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

There is a software for edit a bios socket 478?

The BIOS modding software depends on the BIOS platform (AMI/Award/Phoenix/Intel/Dell etc.) and not on the CPU socket.