[Guide] AMI (non-UEFI) BIOS Modding

The BIOS modding software depends on the BIOS platform (AMI/Award/Phoenix/Intel/Dell etc.) and not on the CPU socket.

is ami bios, is msi ms-6728 neo2 I’ve attached a bios of my motherboard, software like mmtool cannot open the bios image

6728v3A.zip (386 KB)

The BIOS modding software depends on the BIOS platform (AMI/Award/Phoenix/Intel/Dell etc.) and not on the CPU socket.

I’ve found an old version of amibcp, It’s amibcp 7.60.04

It is fine, that you found a BIOS tool, which works with your old AMI BIOS.
The "normal" AMI non-UEFI MMTool v3.26 doesn’t work (I have tested it myself).

It is fine, that you found a BIOS tool, which works with your old AMI BIOS.
The "normal" AMI non-UEFI MMTool v3.26 doesn’t work (I have tested it myself).

can’t change cpu microcode with this version, when I del old code the program closed and when I insert code same crash

Maybe an older version of the AMI MMTool will work.
If I should have the required time, I will test it.

Maybe an older version of the AMI MMTool will work.
If I should have the required time, I will test it.

with 7.50 same thing, crash to change cpu microcode

i have a trouble with a mobo
http://www.supermicro.com/products/mothe…500/X8DTH-i.cfm
that has a pci-e ssd from ocz : http://www.overclockers.com/ocz-revodrive-x2-ssd-review/
if i set the ichr10 in raid mod then the card is not bootable…[message about problem size ]
i have a module intel for raid and ahci plus one module adaptec for raid .
i booted today win10x64 with intel ahci loaded and was able to use old driver and get the drive but tool for windows was not able to get card “drive” while the bootable linuxtool can
in bios of card there is an option to solve trouble but i did not found it in tools…

if i change intel rom that is v10.6.0.1091 , will that solve my bug or i should do something else ?
i add a pic of the bios : there are 5 modules with index 20 , i exchanged it and try to upload result file…

i wonder how i can update my cpu microcode , topic is not clear for the way to do well .
latest cpucode is from march 2011 , cpu are xenon x5660 .
if i can do others update , i am ready to try

I doubt, that the Intel RAID ROM version is responsable for your problem. Nevertheless I recommend to update it to v11.2.0.1527 and to use the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 for your Intel SATA RAID Controller.

You are right, the CPU Microcode update procedure is missing within my guide. Simple reason: I do not write any instructions about something, which I have never done myself.
So if I would get a step-by-step instructions about how to do it by someone, who has successfully updated the CPU Microcode of an AMI non-UEFI BIOS, I would add it to my guide (with credits to the author).

i tested a lot both raid and ahci , under dos : i can load hwinfo if raid is adaptec but not if raid is intel…and it seems to read from drives faster .
so i think of using the adaptec with my drives but not in raid until i am sure the bios-adaptec handles 4k drives . so i think to let bios like it is because i would update unused rom…
i will try to update bios of a x79 sabertooth when i ll know better how to do with cap [sule ? ] rom file

Note - Updating ROM alone will not be enough it seems! I learned it the hard way - continued sporadic BSOD’s that eventually crippled the entire system. If you have an older chipset (I have ICH8R) and you want RAID enabled, you will probably need to modify your Win10 installation image to include a legacy Intel RAID driver also before anything else. Details here: Windows 10 installation with ICH8R chipset

Did it while ago, but as an ungrateful bastard, never come back to say thanks or give feedback.
Using your guide I successful modded my P6TD Deluxe BIOS.
One caveat, this BIOS, like some others Asus P6T*, doesn’t support modules bigger than 100kb, so the latest one that fits is the classic Intel RST v10101008.
Even removing another stuff from bios, bigger ROM’s can’t be added, seems like there is a fixed space allocated for these ROM modules.
I don’t have SSD, but 2 mechanical drives in RAID 0.
RAID is pretty solid, system is snappier as it can be.
I also updated intel microcodes with latest I7 and Xeon support, Marvell Yukon PXE and Marvell E-Sata rom.

Windows 8.1 install imaged edited with NTlite, removed iastorav.inf (Intel RST v12.0.1.1019), and replaced by Intel RST v11.2.0.1006.

@revertex :
Thanks for your feedback!

No, it is not a space problem. The problem of BIOSes like yours is, that bigger sized Intel RAID ROM modules canned be loaded while booting. So the BIOS would need another Option ROM loader, but this can only be done by the mainboard manufacturer.

Yes, forgot it as I did while ago, you are right, it’s possible to add a newer ROM to BIOS, but after boot, it’s impossible to access OPTROM menu, it simply won’t load.
I never believe that older software/firmware can perform better than newer ones, but your posts and guides prove me wrong.
Did several tests, the combo RST v10.1.0.1008 ROM and RST v11.2.0.1006 driver performed better than the newer ones.
Thanks for the guide.

Hello everyone. Sorry for the long post, but it was necessary in order for me to fully explain my problem.
So here’s the story, my 9500 M GS on my Asus M50SV died a few weeks ago and I just bought a 9300 M GS to replace it.
The laptop turns on and I can hear the bios chime, but there is no video signal sent to the screen or via the dsub port.
I know from exploring my bios in AMI MMTool (3.26) that the original bios version 207 can only recognize 8600M gt and 9500m gs as well as an ati graphics card.

That being said, I wanted to add a module to my bios, so I started by extracting the 9300M gs module from the M50VA’s bios (same age laptop that came with the 9300M GS). So far, everything was going well.

When I tried to insert the module I extracted into thz m50sv bios, things got complicated. In fact, it would appear in the list with «POST» as module name, is that normal?

So all that beng said, here are my questions
-how do I add the 9300M GS module to my bios?
-once this module is added, how can I flash my bios with the modded rom? I heard about blind bios flash, booting while holding ctrl+home etc, but didn’t work for me. Is there another way? Keep in mind I have no video signal, and that all the work I’m doing on MMTool is being done on another pc

Thanks a lot for your help

Best regards

@James19211 :
As I have already written >here<, I cannot help you, because I don’t know, which BIOS modules have to be replaced or modified.

I know, that this question doesn’t help you at all, but I ask it nevertheless: Why didn’t you buy a 9500 M GS?
The problem you have now is not only the modification of the BIOS. Much riskier is it to get a modded BIOS properly flashed into the BIOS chip of a Mobile system.

I couldn’t find the same card so i decided to buy 9300m

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removed (to save space)

Hi there,

I’ve read your guide here, but I’m looking to unlock settings that were locked for my firmware… The AMI changelog notes explicitly make mention of locking options for a “private” client while the original Foxconn mobo had no such restrictions there have been alterations for the HP version titled N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix). I believe there have also been hardware alterations so they are not identical either.

It opens in MM tool but I cannot customize in AMIBC because it won’t open there.

You make mention of PCI options but does that contain settings such as HPET and processor clock etc?

Thanks

@wirelesskebab :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You are right - my AMI (non-UEFI) BIOS modding guide is only valid for users, who want to remove, insert or replace an Option ROM module.
If you want to unlock natively locked BIOS options, you have to customize certain system BIOS modules. Unfortunately I cannot help you in this case, because I don’t have any own experience with this kind of BIOS modding.
Maybe someone else is able and willing to give you some advices.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for this guide Fernando!
It gives me hope for enabling AHCI support on my Asus 2101HA.

Sadly my modding and (technical) English knowledge is poor and I get stuck in the process.
The no-uefi MMTOOL seems to work fine but I keep failing to alter the PCI rom.

Maybe it even is impossible with following laptop chipset and bios:
Mainboard: Asus 1201HA
Chipset: Intel US15W (rev 07)
Bios: AMI Bios version 0303

Extracting the PCI option ROM works;

But when open extracted file in hex editor it doesn’t show any RAID or PCI data:

Only a “IBM VGA compatible” message and I get stuck there.
Did Google a lot a get referred back to this site, having most relevant info.

Help would be very welcome, with many thanks in advance,
Greetings from Holland

@RichDutch :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

If you want to enable AHCI support, why did you extract the Intel VGA Option ROM, which manages nothing else than the graphics adapter?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)