[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization

@wosyuanxiao Thanks. In the screendump in #337 there’s quite a lot of items missing, not all seem to be related to the ME.

Is this the original bios or the bios with cleaned me you posted?

What is the model of this notebook? Do you have a link to the original lenovo bios?

Which FIT version was the original bios build with?

If the image you provided is the cleaned bios you used FIT 14.0.0.1061, that’s rather old. There’s two toolsets for older and newer v14 ME, your build 14.0.45 (> 14.0.20) normally would indicate to use the later tool, but if original ME was build originally with lower version and then updated to higher version it still can be necessary to use the older tool.

The machine model is ThinkPad x390. The BIOS program I uploaded is after cleaning me. The me firmware is the latest version officially provided by ThinkPad. After startup, the BIOS interface does not recognize the me version. I use the 14.0.0.1061 version of fit software! Is it necessary to replace the updated version of fit software? Or there is something wrong with my operation process.

@wosyuanxiao The file you posted contains a stock bios (with missing EC firmware)

Please post the original and unchanged bios dump!

@ring00 If you have a working bios it would be easiest to extract as is the ME region from the good bios with UEFItool 0.25, and replace as is the ME region of the bios. That could be done either by fpt if flash descriptor is unlocked, or by inserting as is the ME region in the bios dump of the ‘bad’ board with UEFItool and flash it back by programmer.

Oh, I see now! You weren’t advised by Lost_N_BIOS to flash a complete bios, but to take the ME region, just as I explained again above. Since there are settings stored in ME you can’t use any ME, but you can often (almost always for older versions) re-use a properly configured and working ME region of an identical board.

I don’t understand how can I use BIOS dump from another MB (though identical) with another MAC address and serial number. I must make a cleanup of BIOS dump from this data. Also I have the same ME region from repo. I prefere not to use programmer since it requires desoldering BIOS chip.

@ring00 As written before we don’t talk about using a complete bios dump, but using the ME-region. But no one is keeping you from cleaning the ME if you like the idea that serial and MAC for the board are stored there. If you’ll follow the guide thoroughly it’s not very complicated either.
And I havent seen your board, but there are solutions that almost all chips don’t need to be desoldered when using a programmer. Anyway- as far as I can see there is no need for an external programmer since your fd is unlocked. How to flash the ME region was explained to you by @Lost_N_BIOS in the other thread.

Okay - I’ll try and tell You the result

I don’t understand how can I use BIOS dump from another MB (though identical) with another MAC address and serial number. I must make a cleanup of BIOS dump from this data. Also I have the same ME region from repo. I prefere not to use programmer since it requires desoldering BIOS chip.

I have done exactly as You wrote - flashed ME region without cleaning. Flashing Ok - I swiched off ME subsystem first. No success, all the same - ME version n/a. I believe plutomaniac.
[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization
"If you want to flash a ME region from a dump then yes, you need to clean it first." How can You explain this post from
plutomaniac? I also met this situation and had to clean. So please take into account that ME region must be cleaned

Plutomaniac, thank You very much. Please explain, what is better - using FPT from DOS or FPTW64 from Windows 10? Coderush advised DOS, I use DOS since it is faster and no need to install OS. Strelec USB flash disk gives a ready-to-use DOS.

I cleaned dumped BIOS, replaced ME region by the same version from repo, did all steps and flashed BIOS. Now I have constant reboot. Please help. I attached dump from normal MB (fullback )and with broken ME (errback). I can flash BIOS after desoldering chip, but I need correct image. I did all according to instruction

FULLBACK.rar (2.82 MB)

ERRBACK.rar (2.78 MB)

It doesn’t matter if you use FPT for DOS, EFI, WIN etc. Follow this guide on the dump from the other working machine, use UEFITool to “Extract as is…” & “Replace as is…” the ME region from the “cleaned” image to your own and flash the output back via FPT or programmer.

Please explain in details. I took MB with error, dumped full BIOS 8 Mb, cleaned ME according to Your instructions here (there was exactly the same version ME rgn in repo), flashed and received constant reboot. What was wrong? I should take and clean BIOS dump from same working MB without error? And then replace ME region from output.bin (working MB) in dump from MB with error? I have another MB with the same error. You see? i was advised to flash simply ME region from working MB to MB with error - didn’t help. I need normal image to flash since first MB has constant reboot now - only programmer will help. Many thanks in advance. Please help - I have received wrong advises before

The reboot issue is not related to any advise you received here. It doesn’t make sense, ME wise. Do as you were told but also clean the “healthy” dump before transferring the “cleaned” ME region to your own broken dump. Then you can flash it back. The instructions are mentioned at the previous post. If the hardware is ok, the firmware is meant for that model and you are not trying incompatible/untested configurations or any mods, it should work just fine. Anything else (mods, untested combinations etc) are not related to this thread.

My main mistake was that I didn’t check chipset before cleaning. That damned Chinese fakemakers managed to make LGA2011 MB with B75 chipset!!!. That is why ME7 version. So, when cleaning, I must choose Intel 6 chipset instead of C602. Be carefull when buying from Ali - the only reliable brand is Huananzhi. But they also make such hybrids - check chipset before buying

Ah, yes, now that makes sense. Classic. I’ve also seen “X79” branded mobos with C-series PCH. Probably spare parts put together instead of being thrown away. As you said, the specs must always be double checked before getting such hybrids. Thanks for the update ring00, hopefully your experience can be helpful to other potential such cases reported here.

So to sum things up, I extracted my Dell 5289 bios via SPI and inserted a clean ME region per the guide, - using the FIT tool in the associated Systems Tools folder. Everything seems to be OK but when I run MEMANUF or MEINFO, I see near the bottom; "FPFs and ME Status: No Match".

What does this mean and where did I go wrong?

Show the output of MEInfo -verbose

See the attached PDF.

Thank You

CSME.MEINFO.PDF (656 KB)

Alright, you’re good, nothing more to do. The actual Fuse settings are written to the hardware already (FPF) so what the CSME holds does not matter. They only need to match at the first boot when (the OEM) ends manufacturing mode and the FPF settings are copied from the CSME firmware and then permanently burned into the hardware (FPF).

Good afternoon dear Plutomaniac. Please help me with Bios on my XPS 9570. At the time of the update, the laptop turned off and did not turn on again. I’ve tried clearing ME many times but still doesn’t work. I downloaded some from the forum, but after installing the sound card driver, the sound disappears. Please help me make a normal BIOS so that everything works.

la-f541p Rev2.0 ???.part1.rar (5 MB)

la-f541p Rev2.0 ???.part2.rar (4.73 MB)

@gurgen851

The CSME firmware of your SPI/BIOS dump seems to be healthy on the surface so, even if it had some underline smaller issue that I (ME Analyzer) cannot detect, it wouldn’t be enough to cause the system to not even turn on. Did you follow the guide exactly as described in the first post? Attach your output to verify that you followed it properly.