[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization

@adesh_singh
Since you had posted your request into a wrong Sub-Forum, I have moved it into the matching already existing thread.

I have a ThinkPad e480 machine in my hand. After cleaning the me area according to the tutorial, the TPM option in the BIOS will be lost. Everything else is normal. I canā€™t find the reason.I hope you can help me! thank you!!

I have the same problemā€¦
Mainboard: LG R590 (DA0QL4MB8E0 Rev. E)
ME: 6.0.20.1185 (Ignition IBX)
A detail: This motherboard has 2 bios (ME and EC)
Is there any solution?
Thanks!

Two possible solutions:

I didnā€™t understand why the SKU is incorrect

FITC v6.0.40.1212 can be used at all systems with ME 6 SKUs: 1.5MB, 5MB DT, 5MB MB, Ignition IBX.

How do you think FITC decides which way to program/handle the ME?

I did not understand your question

I used Intel ME System Tools v6 IBX r2 which contains Flash Image Tool 6.0.40.1212

FITc v6.0.40.1212 can be used at all systems with ME 6 SKUs: 1.5MB, 5MB DT, 5MB MB and Ignition IBX.

Now FITc complains about wrong settings. It recognizes an IBX firmware but seems to have conflicting information which arenā€™t compatible with an Ignition IBX firmware in its settings.

Which settings in FITc should possibly be corrected to make it work?

(Choose the correct chipset and FIT will work as expected!)

Looks like the bios dump is not from this notebookā€¦ I downloaded bios update from LG and made the bios dump. Now I got it!!!
Thanks

Contains 2 different bios, smaller one is2 MB PM55 IBX, larger one is 4 MB and HM55 1.5MB.

hi to everyone i try to unlock a region me from this binary files its from a net-tablet ECS (elitegroup).
binary files WQ16FWUUIQ
i upload a screenshot from ME ANALYZER

***And if you could detail me the step by step. please

the software AMIBCP wont open this binary file.

Hi plutomaniac
I clean Meregion ver 16 but Modular Flash Images Tool error
Exception: OEMP was signed with a wrong MEU tool.
Used MEU: 15.0
Expected MEU: 16.0
Please re-sign it with MEU that match the FIT project.
Source: ā€˜CsePlugin:OEM_KMā€™
in spite of build setting Manifest Extension Utility path with meu.exe(ver 16)

So how do i fix this. Please help me. Tks.

helpppā€¦
i cannot detect any hdd after clearME
Any suggest for hdd section on bios file

based on thinkpad x260

thanx

Maybe too much cleaningā€¦ did you used any acid based solution, oh man it could really happenā€¦ a lot of hdds has been lost like this !!!

Itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve done this. Iā€™m in the process of trying to remember how to unlock AMT on systems that were shipped from Dell with ME Disabled. I think Iā€™ll have to re-look over the steps I did with the Optiplex 7010 because I seem to be missing something on these Optiplex 7440 machines as I still donā€™t have it unlocked.

But this is neither here nor there. While I can flash the full BIOS SPI file on this machine that Iā€™m pulling it off of, I wonā€™t be able to flash it to the other machines so Iā€™m in the ā€œmaking a clean BIOSā€ phase and I seem to be stumbling.

I downloaded the correct ā€œME Region.binā€ file and replaced the one in the build folder. But when checking the resulting outimage.bin file in ME Analyzer, it is still showing Type Extracted instead of Region, Extracted. The file system state is Configured instead of Initialized, so thatā€™s good, but I thought the Type should have changed when cleaning as well? Or is the only important thing is the file system state? Iā€™ve attached an image showing the extracted BIOS and the outimage.bin that I built for reference.

I think the output of MEA did change a little since the guide was written. Iā€™d be happy with ā€˜configuredā€™ and the rest of data being OK.

What settings did you change? If I remember it right it wasnā€™t too much for ME 11?

1 Like

I was pretty sure ā€œConfiguredā€ was the important part, but I made the mistake in the past of flashing a full BIOS to multiple machines, wiping out the serial numbers and MAC addresses before so Iā€™m a bit nervous of testing. Iā€™ll probably pull a full BIOS from another machine before testing just in case.

The AMT settings are a bit off topic for this thread, but I set all of that except the Idle Timeout. Unlike the 7010s we got before, none of these 7440s came with AMT enabled. (Weā€™re a school district, so we opt to save a bit of money and buy preowned machines. We save money and they still do everything we need, we just donā€™t get to pick the ME setup from the factory.) So I didnā€™t have a working system to compare the settings to, so thank you for that. Iā€™ll change the timeout and see if that gives me the option to boot into AMT. (This will hopefully save me some digging through my old posts and/or creating a new thread to figure this out.)

EDIT>>
Turns out, I probably already had it. I just had to remove the jumper from the service mode pins before it would show up. Donā€™t remember that being an issue before.

Machine specific data are in bios region, so if you want to flash a full firmware it has to be made for every single computer. A cleaned, freshly reconfigured ME region doesnā€™t have machine specific data (but of course machine- type specific data).

If your machines have a service jumper, then it shouldnā€™t be a problem to flash the ME region only with fpt and the -ME switch.

And yes, the service jumper does disable ME functionality, so no AMT with jumper set, too.

Yeap, the output has changed since those (archaic :sweat_smile:) pictures. The output should be ā€œExtractedā€ and File System State ā€œConfiguredā€. So all good, output wise.

For fun, I went back to figure out when those pictures are from. The vast majority are from January 2016 and one from October 2018. Soā€¦ :innocent: