[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

there is no evidence it will work. I am not saying it is not possible, but it is beyond the point of this guide. If you stay within the 65W power envelope, it does make sense.
Also economically, once you pay top money for a 8700K, 100 €/$ for a new, improved motherboard should not really be an issue.

hi bro
Where to Download UBU_v1_69_16 ?
thanks

I found UBU ,thanks

Hi,
could anybody here with an Asus H110I-PLUS give a try to use an i3-8100? I’m willing to use this hw to mod a Korg Kronos keyboard workstation, only because it has a serial port header which is needed. The other candidate would be the Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX/AC, which have an undocumented UART JSP header next to the nuvoton super i/o chip, just under the sata port, but i’m not sure this is going to work, so i think i’ll stick to the tutorial.

https://marcan.st/2016/06/hacking-and-up…he-korg-kronos/

Thank you.

P.S: A good cpu alternative would be the upcoming pentium g5600, whose specs are similar to the skylake i3-6320 used in the tutorial

Questions:

1) I can’t find version 1.69.11.fix anywhere. Can I use 1.69.16.7 or wherever is most recent? I believe I can. Maybe the first post should be edited to reflect that versions after 11.fix work, too?

2) I have an asrock deskmini with h110m motherboard. It supports 7700k officially. Do you think the 8700 (non-k, 65w tdp) would work? I’m also thinking about the 8700t (35w tdp) to maximize processing power per watt and get an ultra-cool temp.

3) The guide says to create a C:\UBU folder, then unzip the UBU files there, then add other files to the UBU processing folder. Is that the top folder (C:\UBU) or the folder that got unzipped into that folder (same folder that has .exe file). I’m guessing it’s the latter, and that I could just add the files to both folders, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks!

Another question:

I have a Kaby Lake CPU, no Skylake. Is it possible to sacrifice the Skylake microcode instead, so I could keep compatibility with my current CPU if it doesn’t work for some reason?

Thanks again!

Never mind questions 1 and 3 of my earlier post (#45). Version 1.69.16.7 worked, and I was supposed to extract the files into C:\UBU, not extract the folder they were in within the zip file. Yay!

I could still really use an opinion on whether it is possible or advisable to try the 8700 or 8700t, if anyone has an opinion or facts to offer.

Thanks!

Just ordered an i5 coffee lake to do a bit more testing

Well, I ordered the 8700 (it was on sale), so I may beat you to it. How do I do the testing you are interested in?

I modded the bios yesterday but have not flashed. If I flash and the 8700 doesn’t work, can I just flash back to the original bios to use my Kaby Lake processor again?

Working perfectly on ASUS H110M-A/M.2!!!

To work on this motherboard (and probably in other ASUS MBs), three more things are needed:

1) Save a bios as extension ".rom"
2) Fix PCI-Express
3) Flash bios with AFUDOS

How to do this? See below

1) After completing the last step of guide (Microcode UPDATE), open the bios file with the UEFITool and go to tab “Action>Capsule>Extract body” and save as the extension ".rom"
2) Do it > Fixing PCI-Express for Coffee Lake CPUs on Sky/Kaby Lake non-Asrock(and some new Asrock) motherboards
3) And [Guide] Flashing modified AMI Aptio UEFI using AFU

Edit 1: I am using the CPU i3 8100

Why can’t the version of BIOS be later than October 2017 ??

I’ve been wondering the same thing. Guesses:

1) Intel added microcode to lock down the bios after coffee lake came out (Asrock has changes to the Intel Management Engine in their December bios update).

2) Sonix was working with an October version of the bios in December, and just can’t guarantee that later versions will work with UBU.

Could someone confirm what’s true?

Thanks!

BIOS version can’t beyond October 2017 is because of ME version?
but My BIOS is too old(October 2016, ME ver 11.0), is this ok?

Correct, Intel ME firmware later than 11.6.x will not allow CFL to run on Skylake/Kabylake motherboards.

@mengxp

If that BIOS does not have Kabylake support (via microcode) then you won’t be able to run the PCI-e patch.

If the BIOS support kabylake, then we can modify BIOS to support coffeelake.
If the BIOS do not support kabylake , then we can not modify BIOS to support coffeelake.
right?

Yes.

I guess I’ll have to buy a Skylake cpu before flashing my bios, then. But it doesn’t have to be a fast one, just has to run the bios. Cheapest one is $40 new, less on eBay.

Hi, I just registered here to report my success with an i3-8100 on an ASUS H110M-R with the latest official BIOS using this guide.
The best thing about ASUS boards is that most of them still have easily removable SPI chips in case something like this does not go as planned :slight_smile:
The performance is as expected and the integrated GPU also works very well.

Thank You very much for the instructions, they were easy to follow.

*Just one additional info: I am pretty sure the ME firmware in this BIOS is 11.8.50.3399 (consumer H) and the BIOS includes the meltdown & spectre fixes (Microcode versions C2 and 84).
I will check this tomorrow.

That’s ASUS. Does anyone know if an ASRock H110M will work with the latest BIOS? I have created the BIOS with the pre-October version, but not flashed yet.

My i7-8700 arrived today, the kapton tape is not here yet. Has anyone tried a cpu that is not the i3-8100? I see claims of that in other threads, but not screenshots that would show it actually working, and no details of what problems they might have encountered.

On the "Fixing PCIe on non-ASRock…" thread, they talked about blocking two pins, but one guy said he did not have to block any pins to get an i5-8600k working on an MSI board. Do I need to block those pins on ASRock H110M or not?

Thanks!

I stand corrected, the ME version I have is 11.6.10.1196 H. I tried version 11.8.50.3460 H to verify and with this version the board turns on for about half a second and shuts off again.
The following CPUs are confirmed working in this H110M-R: G4900, G4920, G5400, G5500, G5600, i3 8100, i3 8350K. I do not have any i5 or i7 to test right now, sadly.