[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

Thanks for confirming the Intel ME fw version and also testing the various CPU’s, now we have definite proof that any ME firmware beyond 11.6.x will not allow Coffeelake to boot.

I normally don’t double post but I feel it is worth it with some new information from Splave and Nick Shih on HWBot.

There is an article on HWBot.org that shows an 8700k working on an ASRock Z170OC Formula.

The BIOS has been modded and also the CPU pads:

CFL_pad_mod.jpg

The image posted shows two CPU pads that need to be connected (see the top of the image) and 2 pairs of pins insulated with tape (which apparently don’t need to be?).

Hi,
Has anyone have Asrock H110M-DVS R3.0?
I have been fighting for two days and wanted to do it myself, but does not work for me.
Symptoms: after putting Coffee i3 8100 the board starts, turns the fan for 1 second and stop.
I currently have Skylake cpu, but also have Kaby cpu for testing.
I used the tutorial from here (without patching the PCIE).
I used bios 7.10 from 10/17/2017, and even older 1.20 from 5/24/2017.
Strange is that on every bioses from website (older and newer) I have information in bios: ME 11.8.50.3425
I already updated bios 3 weeks ago with 7.40 3/6/2018 - Update Skylake CPU Microcode to revision C2 and Kabylake CPU Microcode to revision 84. (For CPU security update)

I know that ME must be below 11.6, but what if someone (like me) has already updated ME and non of the bioses revert to older one :frowning: How to flash it with standard method - no spi programming.

You can’t do it standard. You need that older ME or no ME at all and that is only possible with SPI/Outside flash.

Oh, well, I wish I had known that last week when I was having video problems and tried the newer bios to fix them (didn’t help). Really there is no other way to revert the ME? My bios chip is soldered, and I don’t have that programmer.

I read up on this forum and others about the ME version, and now I see it is because the ME can only be flashed by Intel’s FWudpater, and that checks the security version number and version control number. If the SVN and VCN of the ME are lower (which is true for 11.6 vs 11.8.5), then the updater just refuses to update. Therefore you have to bypass the updater by using the SPI programmer.

Yay.

If i dont use intergrated graphic, may i skip the VBIOS UPDATE procedure?

I dont have that mobo but i found something useful for u. Download and unzip the following link and you will find a ROM file with ME version 11.6.0.1126 which i checked with UEFITool:
ftp://asrock.cn/BIOS/1151/H110M-DVS%20R3.0(L7.11)ROM.zip
If u have problem while downloading this file see attachments.

H110M-DVS R3.0(L7.11)ROM.zip (5.83 MB)

hello,

I have a question, I have ASrock H110m-DVS 3.0 and an Intel i3 8300,
I found a pre-patched bios that works (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J5Pg0s-…dfLg6Wiba_/view)
But just with an extra videocard, with the Integrated Graphics it does not work.

anyone has a pre-patched bios for the ASrock H110M-DVS R3.0 with working Integrated Graphics ?

tried it with the steps in the first post to update the vbios, but didnt work

greets

Hi i will check it in spare time, but like i wrote: ive already downgraded old bioses, which has lower ME than 11.8, but in this board its somehow protected and non of the bioses will downgrade ME :frowning:
still have 11.8.50.3425 even if i downgrade bios 1.20 which contains 11.6.0.1126

Hi i will check it in spare time, but like i wrote: ive already downgraded old bioses, which has lower ME than 11.8, but in this board its somehow protected and non of the bioses will downgrade ME :frowning:
still have 11.8.50.3425 even if i downgrade bios 1.20 which contains 11.6.0.1126

Other threads in this forum explain this problem, partly by pointing to other websites that explain it. Look at the general guides on flashing the BIOS and search for "management engine" or "ME".

Short version, possibly incorrect on technical details but should be correct in general:

The ME is a protected area, and it is signed by Intel. Therefore, you cannot edit that area, you can only replace entire modules. During a regular BIOS flash (like the one you would do with the flash utility provided by your motherboard manufacturer in the BIOS itself), the ME can only be updated by the FWUpdater program provided by Intel. That program checks the SVN and VCN (Security Version and Version Control Numbers) of the ME that is installed and the one you want to install. It will not install an ME that is older than the one that is already in place.

Therefore, the only way to downgrade the ME during a BIOS flash is to bypass the normal flash process and use the SPI programmer or a Raspberry Pi. But that is more complicated, and you should know what you’re doing to your hardware.

Alternatively, if you have BIOS chip that is socketed, you could get an older BIOS chip and replace it. Then flash that to the BIOS version you want, after you make sure it has the older ME.

My BIOS chip is soldered, so I’m out of luck. My only option is to desolder, flash, and resolder, or buy a new board.

I suppose someone who really knew everything about the modules in the ME could find a way to replace the one(s) that control which CPU you can use, and keep the rest of 11.8.5 somehow. But that would only be possible if Intel actually separated the CPU lockout from everything else they changed. I can’t see why they would want to make it easy to get around their lockout, so the only way that is going to work is if they just didn’t think about it, and they just happened to put the lockout all by itself in a module just because that was easiest for them. I’d look at the VCN first, if I had any clue how to do it.

i have flashed my bios into CFL usable on my Asus ROG VIII Formula with i5 8600k without any success to power on.
is 6 core CFL cpu pads that’s showing on several post is necessarily being connected? i have ordered material to connect them (silver tape), hope its arrive real soon.

edit:

solved all problems, coffee lake i3 8100 works with iGPU @ASROCK H110M-DVS R3.0

Could you tell us what problems you had and how you fixed them? Thanks!

Help?

I have an ASRock H110M-STX (motherboard in the Deskmini). I modded the bios according to the instructions, but it would not work with the i7-8700. I have Intel ME 11.6.0.1126 on the motherboard and in the modded BIOS, not 11.8.5.

When I try to power on, the cpu fan spins up for a second and stops. The computer still works with the Skylake processor.

I noticed that the microcodes for the i3 and the i7 are different. @elisw modded a BIOS for the H110M-HDS to include both cpu906EB and cpu906EA; this guide includes only 906EB, but 906E9 is available in the UBU\modules\1151 folder, option 70 instead of 72 in the last step of the guide. So I tried the BIOS with option 70, but it did not work any better.

I tried to download the 906EA microcode from the MCExtractor github site, but it was the wrong size, and both UBU and MCExtractor said it is not a microcode. So I extracted the 906EA microcode from @elisw 's BIOS for the H110M-HDS. Then I edited the Sel1151.bat file to allow the selection of the new microcode.

Flashed the BIOS, and the i7-8700 did not work, again.

Downloaded ASRock BIOS for Z370 board, extracted 906EA and 906EB microcodes, version 80. Tried both, no joy. Could not get MCExtractor to extract version 84 from a later BIOS.

I’ve tried clearing the CMOS after flashing. Makes no difference.

Sky Lake cpu still works every time.

Should I flash with the BIOS that @elisw modded for the HDS? But then I’d probably lose sound and LAN because those are different chips on the STX board.

The first few times, I had covered the two reserved pins with kapton tape. So I took the tape off today. Other threads/forums (hwbot, linked at top of this page of this thread) said that is not needed, and that two other pins have to be shorted. But they are overclocking an i7-8700k on an ASRock z170 board. And the RAR files they link to are not recognized by any unzipping program (I have tried four that claim to unzip RAR files).

When I download the HWBot file Z17MOCF751A.rar it extracts fine and the resulting 16MB file can be opened in UBU (Aptio V).

It contains 4 microcodes:

506E3 (Skylake) = C2

906E9 (Kabylake-S) = 84

906EB (Coffeelake Quad core) = 84

906EA (Coffeelake-S Hex core) = 84

Try downloading with a different browser or clearing your browser’s cache.

[Edit] It also contains Intel ME 11.6.0.1126.

Tried that, tried a different computer, but still doesn’t work. I don’t know why.

[Edit May 1, 2018]

I finally found a way to download the file successfully. I had to use a computer with Windows 7. I don’t know how or why, but every attempt to download it on Windows 10 failed. None of the RAR decoder programs could recognize the file. Unfortunately, all my computers at home have Windows 10.

I prepared bios for H110M-STX. You may try to use it.
edit:
I tried to add microcode for 6-core coffee lake with MMtool but no success. MMtool displays an error "ERROR 4001: FV size is too small the required FV image size 0x5fe90 exceeds the set FV image size 0x40000". Which is strange because I modified in this way bios to my motherboard (Asrock Z170 gaming K4/D3) and bios seems working ok(I didn’t check with 6-core procesor). I think this is conected with FIT but not sure. Anyway, then I used your method with UBU and modified 1511.bat and the attempt was successful. So I attached new file coffee_lake_6core… You can try this bios, but remember that you do it at your own risk. Maybe it will not work and you will have to use the SPI programmer to restore the original bios. If you decide to use that bios please post the result.

coffee_H11STX_7.zip (5.9 MB)

coffee_lake_6coreH11STX_7.zip (5.88 MB)

Seems like Nick was able to get the z170 OCF to drive 8700k to 5.4 ghz. Now I’m just waiting for some saint to release a easy to installed modified bios.

OMG, it’s cool news.)))
But I’ve another question - it is possible to overclock non-K processors on Z370 or B360 via bios modification?