[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

Hi!

New to this forum and trying to get everything together.

I got a Asus Strix Z270-I mobo and what I read on some threads here it should be OK to use an Intel 9:gen CPU. I’m curious that the i7-9700K will work with a proper flash to the bios but I’m not certain.

Can anyone push me in the right direction for more information, like what bios mod that should work and what I need to do?

Thanks

Greetings. I just registered today and I wanted to ask for assistance regarding CoffeeTime. My board is Maximus IX Hero and I have an i9-9900K CPU. I used CoffeeTime v0.85a on my board’s latest (v1301) bios file, but I’m getting an error when patching ACPI Tables.

I got the same error list :frowning: VIII Ranger 3802 Bios

first, thanks svarmod for coofee time, it’s very useful for me. Then I have a Msi b250m mortar and I choosed option “3”; “4” in advanced mode menu to add microcodes 906EA [B4], 906EB [B4] for i3 8100 and i5 9400f. Is that right? and with msi b250, ill only isolate 2 pin on i5 9400f?
Thanks for read and sorry for my bad english

For M9H you will be better off using the bios region from M10H.

This is as expected when using the latest bios builds. Try Coffeetime mod on version 2202 (2016/09/26) - you should be good to go and hopefully in the future Coffeetime versions it will be possible to do the mod on the current bios versions.

coffeetime 0.85a: it seems to me ok but before the “done” there are some errors. after that acpi tables not patched, but patching again and says that nothing to do.

# Processing…

! Patching ACPI tables…

–{Table_ID}-{Disasm}-{Patch}{Compile}–
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
GenSec: ERROR 2000: Invalid paramter
more than one input file specified
GenSec: ERROR 2000: Status is not successful
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
Status value is 0x2
GenFfs: ERROR 0001: Error opening file
tmp\C38F\raw_body.bin

! Replacing tables… Done!

# Processing…

Nothing to do

Press any key to continue…

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS…6+(7.20)ROM.zip

Anyone able to help me out
Wanting to use i5-9600k
This is the bios file
Much appreciated

thejag
Your board will work with 9700K without any problems.
You can try to use russian CoffeeMod manual using online translators.

Bizarre™
There is M10H port-bios for your M9H made by dsanke with all 1151 CPUs support (except Skylake ES). Just flash it with SPI programmer and apply socket pinmod - thats all.
M9H_M10H_v2003_PORT_by_dsanke

mgabee, Bizarre™
This ACPI patch errors usually apperas when path to CoffeeTime includes spaces or local keyboard layout symbols. Try to drop CoffeeTime directory in disk root.

taitu12
Thanks, appreciate this.)
Depends of revisions. 8100 usually use B0 rev. (906EB). 9400F use U0 (906EA), but it potencially may exist in P0 (906EC) or R0 (906ED) rev., so you need identify it before, to make right modbios.
Use CoffeeTime comparison image to recognize revision by visual.

imbatman
What’s the problem? You can make modbios yourself with any automated coffeemod tool.

I’m a total noob and don’t want to f*ck it up

imbatman
ASRock Z170-Gaming-K6+ 7.20 CFL modbios.
Supports Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, but not ES or Xeon. Need to transfer your MAC-address.
Flash it with SPI programmer or with any software after manual regions unlocking.
DOWNLOAD

Thank you for taking the time to do it
I ended up doing it with the allinone program posted on the forum and it worked perfectly
My question is there are newer firmwares then 7.20
Am I able to update to the latest bios without updating my ME version

It has been done.
http://www.smxdiy.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=711

@svarmod thanks for reply! 9400f is coming. Hope its working well on my msi b250. Btw cpu pinmod does it affect the performance of cpu? and what does the yellow color in the pinwork_map image mean?

R0 stepping: S-spec: SRGxx - batch numbers: x918xxxx or later, so after 2019 year 18th week (first week of May). Did somebody tested R0 stepping cpu with the modded bios?

Has anyone tried to do something with bios for Z270 SLI PLUS? I’d like to use it if it’s possible, but i’m not so good with this. My upgrade would be 8700k or 9700k (stock).
Is there any way to flash the bios just by flashing it?

Hi there.
Asrock fatal1ty z170 gaming k6 motherboard work with i3-9100F or i3-9350FK coffee time 0.85a?

Was wondering if anyone could give me a hand. Currently trying to get an i5-9400f running in an asrock b150m pro4. I’ve modded the bios and isolated/bridged the pins but when I power on the pc all the fans spin for a fraction of a second and it just shuts off straight away again.

I have an i5 8400 running on an msi z170a gaming Pro carbon myself so I’m pretty sure I’ve done everything right.

UBU shows that the correct cpu Id table is there and the ME version in the bios file is 11.6.x.xxxx but after flashing the motherboard is showing in the bios as 11.0.0.1xxx Any help appreciated

i5-9400f currently has 2 possible CPUID’s;

906EA = U0 Revision
906EC = P0 Revision

If you tried one and it didn’t work try the other one and if neither works then it could also potentially be the newer revision;

906ED = R0 Revision

That was it! needed 906ED. Toke a while to get it to let me insert another one without wiping the whole list of microcodes but i got it. Thanks :smiley:

Hi. I never tried to mod a BIOS before but the possibility to upgrade to an 8th generation CPU without change motherboard is tempting me.

I have an ASUS Z170-E with an i7 6700k CPU and I´m thinking in update it to an i7 8700k (ho knows an i9 9900k?).

Please help me with some info.

I have checked that my BIOS regions are locked (using the FPT tool to dump comes an error locked msg ). The Z170-E doesn´t have flashback support and I didn´t find anyone reporting how to unlock the FD and ME regions for this board. I have searched the BIOS and only find some keys associated to the boot security state of it. Should I backup and delete all that 4 keys to unlock the boot, only the PK key or these keys have nothing to do with the locked boot?

Another thing is the current version of the ME in my z170. I´m using an old BIOS (version 1902) with ME 11.0.0.1168. Do I need to upgrade to a more recent original BIOS with the ME in range 11.6.0.11xx - 11.7.0.12xx before use the CoffeeTime tool?

Thank you for the help.