[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

sheppard
For 100% - nope. You always need to watch a bios version and microcode availability.

Seal090
No any isolation requires for B0, because it’s same as Kaby Lake.
I guess you bended some pins, check socket for damages.

Z170M-PLUS has a socketed bios chip which you can easily backup / program with a CH341A programmer for less than 5 USD. This is your best backup / programming / recovery option.

Anyone know the best way to short two pins?
Shall I order a conductive pen?

I tried EE pencil but it doesn’t seem to work coz my Asus z270f shut itself down after a few second.

Rez
Soldering on CPU or mobo - best way.
Then goes aliminium/copper foil on two-sided tape.
3rd place goes to conductive glue/marker.
And our top finishes with graphite pensil, which not always works and it recommended use only for a time.

For soldering on mobo, do you mean to solder two pins on the mobo socket itself?
Or is there a way to check where I can do the wiring something similar to this for my Asus Z270F?

you want to do the sktocc mod on the mainboard?

it´s possible. search for the io chip (most times from vendor nuvoton) and datasheet from it. take the pin for sktocc, follow the traces on the mainboard and solder it to a near ground pin.

Quick question: I got this mostly working but it looks like my CPU multiplier isn’t applying. It will save the settings in the BIOS, but that’s it. Any suggestions? 9700k on Sabertooth S Z170 and modded 3801 ver BIOS using an SPI programmer.

Edit- fixed by using the all-in-one tool and multi-core fix. Then unlocking and transferring serial with coffeetime. All good to go!

I have an Asus strix h270i motherboard and i want to install a 8th or 9th gen i5 cpu. is the mod possible on that motherboard?

crazyrider97
Yes, no any problems are expected on your board with i5 6/6 adaptation.

@svarmod

Hello, after I try to update the mce and mea versions in the bin folder, the tool will not work properly.

Microcodes already have new versions
Will you update CoffeeTime recently?
Thank you

Did you manage to get it work?

would you please help , i need to insert this as well , any help will appreciated , Thanks

svarmod

Your board will work with 9700K without any problems.
You can try to use russian CoffeeMod manual using online translators.

@svarmod Hi and thanks for the guide! I haven’t tried it yet still waiting for the 9700K to drop in price.

I still have a question. When you Isolate/connect the pinns on the cpu. Whats the difference between connecting/isolate? Can’t I just use some silverpencil on all the pinns that’s marked out? The Asus board seems to isolate/connect in total 4 pinns:

https://imgur.com/a/lHKEFC0

So to be clear, do I need to use a unique technique for isolating and another for connecting the pinns?

Does anyone know which value will change parameter Debug override production silicon for ME firmware to Enabled?

DEBUG_20190930_235633.jpg

@nitrodragon is your 9900k P0 stepping? or R0 stepping?

Did somebody tested R0 stepping cpu with any z170,z270 modded bios?
help me~

R0

R0

Thank you:)

Who know what does this values mean and why some of them disabled

SRC_SSSS20191003_202530.jpg

The brand new bios chip has come with the fully modded bios with coffeetime 085a, but it is not working :frowning: fan spin-up for 0.5 sec, 00 code error on the board, and shut-down.

Viii ranger, 8600k, 3802 bios link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pt2GMpU…iew?usp=sharing

Sy could help?

Cpu: copper tape for shorting, kepton tape for isolation
https://ibb.co/tC56KNk

@mgabee

As you have removed all microcodes for Skylake and Kabylake you can’t test if the BIOS mod and flash went ok, which should have been your first step with your original CPU.

You only need to have 906EA, 906E9 and 506E3 to test if the BIOS mod works, checking that it boots with your Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU first and then swapping the 8600k in.

I also noticed you have ME HAP-bit disabled which is not necessary for regular retail Core CPU (only needed for Xeon) which effectively disables ME.

Did you flash the modded BIOS using a SPI programmer? (highly recommended for Asus boards)

Asus Flashback doesn’t always flash all regions, it depends on the specific board whether the flash descriptor is locked (and therefore whether ME region is written).

You should start over, flash the stock 3802 BIOS which has ME FW 11.6.10.1196 (check in Windows what is actually on the board) and then make sure the mobo POSTs with your newly modded BIOS and original CPU, then if all ok swap the 8600k in.

You may also want to remove that BIOS link with your MAC address in it.