[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

Well, I have a question, are the i7 8700k or i9 9900k cpu compatible on msi z270 gaming pro carbon boards?

The responsible department at a ASUS headquarter in Taiwan will likely answer in the next days. So far, so bad:

Iā€™m pretty sure about that. 3 different PSUā€™s and all shut off, even if no other component is assembled to the mainboard. This mainboad is dead, definitly.

I tested now the second Maximus VIII IMPACT. Get the SKTOCC wire mod done and put in my spare CPU, a 9700k. But Q-Code 00 shows up. As I had running this boxed CPU the last time in the first coffeelake-mod board with no problem, I do think, that after the first mainboard is now toast, it also has killed my spare 9700K as I was testing the now obviusly shorted mainboard after disassembly. The 9900K which was installed while the first time the red LED lit up, does POST in the second mainboard to Q-Code 32. No memory initialization. But my RAM is fine. I also tested both CPUā€™s on an Asrock Z390 Taichi (Q-Codes: 9700K: 00; 9900K: 03) and on a Maximus X Hero with newest BIOS (Q-Codes: 9700K: 00; 9900K: 49). So not only my first M8I is toast, both CPUā€™s are dead as well.

I get in the next two days a Skylake CPU and will test my second M8I.

Now two questions left:
1. Should I still threw in a Coffeelake CPU after a successfull test with the Skylake CPU? The Board and CPU is/will be modded like it is shown here. 3801 BIOS, I could upload the dump of the BIOS-Chip here as well.
2. What occured to the first mainboard? What went wrong with the CFL on 100series Mobo as so many of you are getting away with excellent results.

Overall Iā€™m now so disappointed about the killed 9900K as it was running in the Hero with 5.3 GHz All-Core under watercooling. Will go now for AMD in the main-system. If we can find a reasonable explanation for what happened there, I try to give the M8I and coffeel lake one more chance as LAN Build.

As conclusion:
M8I#1 is shorted, red LED near VRM, green CMOS reset LED on the I/O shield but nothing else after hitting the start button. Also no Q-Codes.
M8I#2 is working maybe? All LEDs are working as intended, with and without CPU. Flashback works as well.
9900K: was installed while the accident; get me now some trouble with SA or IO I think. I swear that I set that voltages in the UEFI to 1.0, 1.1 or max 1.15 V after some failed boot upā€™s, where it was set on AUTO before.
9700K: worked well and also at 4.8 GHz all-core with 100+ Watts before watercooling in the last year on the M8I#1 on BIOS 3801. Installed in M8I#1 after the accident. Shouldnā€™t have done that. Now there is no life in it any more.

Hi to All!

At the first I want say to all of You - thank you for share your experience!
Are somebody launched the i9-9900 on MB Gigabyte Z170-D3H?

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

So I just made an YouTube video as a guide for this mod I did with CoffeeTime 0.99. I saw some requests and this was the least I could do. Hopefully, that helps some of you.

https://youtu.be/8hWXWccyRZA

The responsible department at a ASUS headquarter in Taiwan will likely answer in the next days. So far, so bad:

Nope, I donā€™t get an answer other than itā€™s a power led and a not related FAQ with reference to AM4 Motherboards.
I asked gently for a more detailed answer and the case went a second time to HQ Taiwan but they were not able or willing to give me more information. They asked for RMA or gave me the advise to buy a new motherboard. No words for that.

I have an working, modded and flashed ASUS Maximus VIII Impact left, but I donā€™t like to kill one more 9900K so I will likely give up on this project.

Thank you so much for this! Iā€™ve been trying to follow a long the last few months preparing to test this. Had a question/request.

Would this work for a C236 chipset? I have an ASRock C236 WSI but am unable to properly post with a i9-9900K. This is what I have currently checked.

[ 1 ] ME ver. - 11.7.0.1330 # Corporate
[ 2 ] VBIOS ver. - 1062
[ 3 ] GOP ver. - 9.0.1107
[ 4 ] PCIe x16 - Activated
[ 5 ] SKU hack - Activated
[ 6 ] Cores sync - Activated
[ 7 ] Init 16CPUs - Activated
[ 8 ] ACPI tables - CPU8+ patterns found
[ 0 ] Microcodes - 506E3 906E9 506E1 506E8 906ED
[ H ] ME HAP-bit - ME ENABLED
[ U ] FD Regions - All unlocked

Is it possible to use the SKU from a C246? Asking because I would like to retain the vPro (Intel AMT remote KVM) features and I know the Z series chipsets donā€™t support it.

@qosmio IIRC you need to disable ME to get the 9900K to post on that chipset (and that will in turn disable vPro).

Hi guys :slight_smile:

Iā€™m trying to get the QTJ2 "Mutant CPU" working on a MSI Z270 Krait Gaming Motherboard. Using the CH341A programmer and a clip, I was able to read the current bios from the MXIC 25L12873F chip. Next, Iā€™ve modified the dump using CoffeeTime 0.99 but unfortunately, Iā€™m not able to write it.

Iā€™ve tried with both the NeoProgrammer and AsProgrammer. The former immediately fails and the latter is showing this error message:

Is there anything I can do in this case? Obviously, I would very much prefer not to brick the motherboard :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Crocodil

Hello
I need bios mod for gigabyte Z170X G7 work with 9100F (7W)

Can you share me?thanks so much

Hi just a little question, iā€™ve modded my CPU with silber paint to short the two Pins, ist it possible to use the CPU without any Trouble on an z390 Mainboard or do i have to remove the Paint?
I have to test an used z390 Mainboard to Check If it works properly.

I have QNCT CPU Coffelake ES mutant and Asus Prime B250M-C. I used Coffetime 0.92 to mod BIOS according to several pages - they all advice the same mod. I took the latest not-beta BIOS https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGā€¦C-ASUS-1608.zip. No result - black screen. POST code stop at 91. What can You advice? Can You help me?

How can I add additional microcodes to this progam? I added them to the folder with microcodes, but no result - I cannot choose them.

Hello there! Looking for some help.

Iā€™m the owner of a Clevo W650KK and Iā€™m looking to enable support for QQLT and i7-8700B, along with other socket 1440 processors.

I see that CoffeeTime has support for them, as long as you get the right microcode and enable the right settings, as well as saying it supports laptop BIOS.

I cross-referenced a few times, and it at least appears that the key settings are:

Disable Intel ME - Thereā€™s even a Clevo option to bypass auto-shutdown without Intel ME. However, this does make me a little nervous.
PCIe 1440
And the microcodes which represent whatever CPU Iā€™m using.

However, is there anything else I should know before I try this?

ā€¦Other than looking at schematics to find my BIOS chip that is. I have a SPI Flasher already just in case.

Has anyone else tried this with clevo laptops?

(I have pictures of my settings but not enough posts to post them yet.)

I bring news. Afterā€¦lots of preparation I tried itā€¦and have found success.

BGA1440 CPUs on the Clevo W650KK1. Brilliant!

Hi guys, this is indeed a very interesting forumā€¦I was looking forward to overclock my totally underperforming i5 6400 but this is way better than that. I have an ASUS Z170-A mobo and I was thinking about a i9 9900K, Iā€™ve seen it on the Maximus VIII Ranger and comparing both boards they donā€™t seem that different.

Would you guys recommend this? This board has a socketed BIOS so programming with CH341A should be easier and Nuvoton chip is the same as the Maximus VIII Ranger so SKTOCC mod should be similar too.

Hello,

I need help to activate Intel PTT (TPM). My 8700k is already running with z170 without problems, but I understood that ME has to be disabled. I only need to know if itā€™s possible to enable Intel ME for activate TPM.

My motherboard is an Asus Maximus VIII Extreme.

Iā€™m still waiting for my 9900k (better thinking in a 9700k for better compatibility), but let me tell you about my experiencie flashing the bios, mostly Iā€™ll talk about the things so far no one told me.

I bought a CH341A to flash it the very best wayā€¦first of all, removing the chip from the socket was not an easy task, itā€™s very firmly secured and if youā€™re not careful enough you will definitely bend the pins and perhaps brake them completely (I know itā€™s obvious, but I feel this is something that should be said, given that many people just says ā€œoh you can just remove the chipā€¦itā€™ll be easyā€).

Once the chip was out I tried to flash it using ASProgrammer version 2.0.2 (big mistake), I made two dumps at first, just to confirm it was working, but at the time of writing, it erased the chip and then couldnā€™t write it saying ā€œVerification error in address 00000010ā€ (no matter how many times I tried this it wouldnā€™t work).

Tried different versions of ASProgrammer, even going back as far as 1.4.1 but results were the same.

Then I tried CH341A version 2.X, nothing, then version 1.18 and voilĆ” it started writing the modded bios. Once finished, I put the chip back in the motherboard andā€¦no posting, it was completely stuck in the CPU Led.

Took the chip back once again andā€¦reflashed one of the previous original dumpsā€¦still not posting.

Took it one more time and this time reflashed the modded bios and once done verified with CH341A 1.18. Read the contents of the chip, save it and compared it with the other file using certutil (this time they were both the same).

Once again put it back in the motherboard andā€¦this time it did posted, so Iā€™m very happy now that I donā€™t have a bricked motherboard.

One thing though, now Iā€™m getting this weird behavior in which every time I shut down the PC, in order to start itā€¦it will post cycle three times before booting .

So in conclusion, even though the program says itā€™s writing and it manages to finish, the writing process can apparently introduce errors and once it finishes you could get an error in which the contents of the chip does not match the file.

wellā€¦itā€™s done.

i7 9700k on ASUS Z170-A.

I used Kapton tape for the insulation (not really sure if it really needed it, but just in case) and for the shorting I used copper tape for now while I figured how to do the SKT_OCC mod.

But it works flawlessly, Iā€™ve been gaming a lot on it and itā€™s super stable.

PCIe1440 fix is only needed with 6 cores like QQLT.

Hello, I am a bit stuck because I have a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7. I have made a backup of the bios, but I am having trouble getting the information I need to enter into it. It would be nice if there was a tool like FD44editor for GB, but it does not seem to read the bios. Coffee time also will not read the backup. It also will not let me make any edits, but the MAC and that is it for the bios I was working on, as far as info that is. I would appreciate some guidance.