[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

AMI tools are only referred in this guide due to the fact, that the last 3.05 version still accepted the /GAN cmd and let flashing mod bios (Modified Bios files), no other upper versions would succeed in this switch, this version was only viable for old bios types from AMI, Aptio IV core, understood now?
I dont care about any chipset here, this motherboard uses Aptio V Core bios, so the old flash 3.05 /GAN wont work and the latest AMI tools DO NOT ALLOW flashing mod files, understood now?
The board features USB BFB feature…did you read the damm guide about this feature, clearly not, for sure or you wouldn’t still be here doing stupid tryouts with official modern AMI tools and expecting to flash modified bios files on a motherboard.
Over_n_OUT of here.

I have Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it has intel ethernet on board so if i remember correctly the serial number must be written to modded BIOS right? If this is true where can I find a guide how to do this? Im going to use flashrom to flash modified bios.

@euranoooo
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
Which Serial number do you mean? i have an ASRock x570 mainboard with an on-board Intel Ethernet Controller as well, but never had a problem with any Serial number after having flashed a modded BIOS.

Nevermind probably i missunderstand something. So should I just download bios from manufacturuer, add ffs module I want, remove all AmdSpiRomProtectDxe modules and flash it using flashrom is that correct? Or removing protection modules is not necessary?

@euranoooo
According to my recent tests the Flashrom v1.2 Utilities may not work with the latest ASRock X570 Series mainboard BIOSes.

What about using external programmer? Can the modified bios program into chip like that? Why still people not managed to find a good solution here?

I have managed to find a related topic at: UEFIPatch: BIOS patches for C422, C621/C622, X299 based motherboards - vanilla (unpatched) kernel & native power management - UEFI | InsanelyMac

But the “patches.txt” (https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=344875) can be downloaded after log in. [Look to the latest note at the bottom!]

“./UEFIPatch <ROM/CAP/Bios Image file for your motherboard> -o <patched bios file name, can be whatever you want>” can it work? I have no idea…

Lets start by downloading from “Release 0.28.0 · LongSoft/UEFITool · GitHub” [UEFIPatch_0.28.0_win32UEFIPatch.exe.zip] UEFIPatch_0.28.0_win32.zip file. It has 3 files in it.

UEFIPatch.exe
patches-misc.txt
patches.txt → This file will be replaced!

Finally the command input: ./UEFIPatch <ROM/CAP/Bios Image file for your motherboard> -o <patched bios file name, can be whatever you want>
--------------------------------- oooooooooooooooo --------------------------
BUT, I am not sure about, the patch file is only related with Hackintosh or not!

Then are the original UEFIPatch_0.28.0_win32.zip contents are enough for flashing the bios that we are looking for or not! Any ideas?

Latest note: According to this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-uefipatch-patches-unlock-0xe2-0x1aa-boot-catalina-without-any-kernel-patches-native-power-mgmt-on-c422-c620-and-some-x299-motherboards.293629/

Patches.txt is downloadable from there, but it is related with Macs only!

Without the Patches.txt the UEFIPatch command makes modifications to the second file. I have tried the result, but Asus bios tool said: It is not a proper bios!

@karakarga
What has your last post to do with the topic of this thread?

Fernando,
This seems a way of flashing new mainboards. Lets ask others their ideas!

@karakarga
After having read your edited post I understand what you want to get investigated.
As soon as I have gotten several reports about successful flashes of modified BIOSes by using the tool UEFIPatch the start post will be updated (by me or by my successor). What we need are valuable results and not speculations.

“… you want to get investigated.” ?

I don’t want to be investigated. I want to be sure about the new flashing procedure. I can not ask new questions related with the topic at those forums, thread is closed for new replies.

If you quote a text just partly, it should not be meaning-distorting.

How often did you test “the new flashing procedure” and where are the results?

I know but my BIOS (3.20) doesnt have AGESA 1.2.0.0 yet so i believe i can do it safely?

Probably yes. Either it works or not, but your currently in-use will not get corrupted. Don’t forget to save an SPI Backup before trying to flash the modded BIOS.

I have a basic FPT flashing question. I’m 99% sure I’ve got a solid modded bios that’s ready to flash. My Intel ME version is 12, so I’ll be using the Flash Programming Tool under CSME System Tools v12 r38. My Dell has a physical service mode pin that will allow for an FPT flash.

Is it problematic or potentially problematic to simply flash over the current bios with the command FPTW64.exe -f bios.bin (and this assumes the modded bios is named bios.bin)?

Or, is it safer or required to erase the bios first, and then flash?

I’m getting this idea from this post:

1. Type FPTW64 -ERASE and press enter.

2. Type FPTW64 -REWRITE -F moddedbios.rom (for example) and press enter.

turn off your pc and reboot.

When I mis-flashed my bios, there’s no question that the replacement bios was broken. But I did simply overwrite with FPTW64.exe -f bios.bin, and am now considering proper FPT flashing to finish this off. Thanks

-ERASE Erase the contents of flash.

-REWRITE Rewrite the SPI with file data even if flash is identical.

fpt -h will get you the CMD switches

The rewrite switch usually is not needed but its useful to write if the system has the same bios version and ensure the block override, when for ex.: some tiny adjustments were made in previous flashed mod file and tool still complains about it, being identical data.

the hey the Flashrom v1.2 utilities link doesnt seem to work anymore, i was trying to help a friend get rid of a cyberpowerpc bios from his ASRock b450m, and for some reason the link either says that it doesnt have a app associated with it to open it and errors out, or for his pc it just turns into a notepad file. is there something im missing? (i’m a mega noob and usually solve issues via reddit and google)

@asparaguswizard
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!

As I just have tested >this< link is still working fine and doesn’t need an associated App to get the *.rar archive downloaded. Nevertheless you need an up-to-date unzip tool like 7-Zip (currently latest: v2408) or WinRAR (currently latest: v7.01) to get the compressed Flashrom Utilities extracted.

you’re a life saver, I’m a little slow and didn’t have an unzip tool.

My old p8b75-v asus motherboard (.CAP Bios) don’t have USB Flashback features and i’m not buying pcie to nvme adapter before ensure bios is modable so i can’t use AMI AFU method.
AI Suite is not available for Windows 10 so i had to install Windows 8.1 and use it to flash and voila it worked

Use UEFITool load BiosOgirinal.CAP, search text “CSMCORE”, scroll down to the last entry before “Volume free space” and insert after NvmExpressDxe final save to file Modded.CAP
Open Ai Suite → Asus Update → Update BIOS from file → Choose BiosOgirinal.CAP → after it loaded don’t click next → Delete BiosOgirinal.CAP and rename Modded.Cap to BiosOgirinal.CAP → now you can click next and flash it

1 Like

@peggidead
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and congratulations for having succeeded!
Enjoy the speed of an NVMe SSD being used as system drive!