[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Yes!

in first topic there is "Consequences:
Users, who have modified the ASRock UEFI BIOS by using the UBU tool from v1.22 up (look >here<), can flash the modded BIOS directly (after having renamed it) and don’t have to care about the removal of the capsule header. It has been done by the UBU tool and its included UEFITool automaticly. No further preparation of the modded BIOS is required."

How can I knows if the modded bios are ready for direct flash?
At the end of topic instead after remove capsule the procedure continue with the mod of bios that I already have.

By trying to flash it. If you don’t get an error message, everything is fine.

@Stephen - to add to the above, since I normally do not use UBU so probably did not use it for your mod BIOS, run BIOS through UBU but do not make any edits, then choose “save as mod name” then rename BIOS back to stock name, this way UBU will do what you mentioned.
If you aren’t sure how to do that, let me know and I’ll find your thread where I made you mod BIOS and do this for you and send new BIOS.

* Edit - I went to do those changes for you, and then checked stock BIOS vs UBU saved (non-mod) and it’s same, and I don’t see UBU message about removing Asrock protection either (Checked 1.69 and 1.72 version)
So this BIOS does not have that kind of protection in it, simply rename to stock BIOS name and flash

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Ok so your mod bios 2.30 for extreme4 gen3 is ready for direct flash I don’t need to do nothing, only flash, right?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

FWIW, this guide worked for me to flash my ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING motherboard and my ASUS FX502VM laptop (for the latter I had to extract the factory BIOS using 7-zip to remove the header). It’s not too different to the AfuWin method, but that one makes my laptop freeze. Interestingly, placing the efi module from the Intel MEI system tools (FWUpdLcl.efi from FWUpdate\EFI64) in the same folder as the other tools let me update my MEI too. Not sure if there’s any advantage over doing it in Windows, but maybe it’s a nice fallback.

Hi @Fernando , after successful installation all works fine, I need to use modded driver rst 12.9 or the original? and second there is way to speedup more my ssd? with wd black sn750 3rd gen I can reach only 1550r/1420w mb/s on pcie 2.0 x4

@Lost_N_BIOS a great thanks to you, your bios work like a charm

I have
Asus Z9PE-D8 motherboard
It seems it is possible to load modified bios to it to be able to use Nvme drive with it I am new to it all but dont mind trying any help is greatly appreciated

EDIT:
Can I send you my mother board to mod I will pay for your troubles ?
Sorry for been new to it n not having so much knowledge about it

EDIT by Fernando: To save space I have merged the 3 posts into one.

@Wmkk016 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Since I haven’t written all my guides with the intention to do everything myself, I do not modify any BIOS upon request.
What is your problem? Is it the insertion of the NVMe module into the BIOS (in this case you should read and follow the start post of >this< thread) or the flashing of the modded BIOS (in this case you should read the start post of this thread)?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

My problem I would like to use m2 drive with this mother board haven’t done anything like that before that’s why I was seeking information on how to and the files you have posted I cant seem to find them any help is greatly appreciated:)
Best regards
Kemal

Afternoon
Have downloaded UBU and MMtool package
even though ubu states that bios is ami aptio V had to go with 5.0.0.7 tool from the folder from my understanding that should be IV?
Anyway, updated the microcode on the bios, all shows yes on modded bios, saved as mod.bin
Dropped it on the usb stick to flash via mflash (msi board) but it is not recognized, not a massive surprise there
Havent been playing around with modded bios for a while and memory is not the best
Can anyone help on how to go about flashing new bios?
Regards

@CivilDrone
Rename to stock MSI name and extension.

@Fernando
Hello again! I was the one who was asking about the Intel server motherboard a while back. I managed to get the programmer to detect the chip successfully (I had to rewire it and make sure it was connected properly). I then read the chip and verified it, and now have the BIOS saved to a file. I am unable to replace the microcode in it however with UBU, since when I try to I get an MMTool window which opens with the text "File not found" when it tries to replace it. After some research on this website it seems it is because it is an Intel BIOS which contains an AMI BIOS, although I am unsure about this. I also read something about using a tool called "INTEL2AMI" to convert it, but I am not sure if that would work. Is there any way to get the CPU microcode replacement function to work with an Intel BIOS which is based on AMI Aptio 4?

Edit: Just for clarification - I was able to get this to work before when opening the .CAP files in UBU, however now with the file which was dumped from the chip using the programmer it seems to not be working.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thank you, didn’t think it was going to work! :smiley:

@AwesomeMarioFan :
Yes, original Intel UEFI BIOSes cannot be simply opened and updated by using any AMI Aptio MMTool.
Nevertheless some Intel UEFI BIOSes are just disguised AMI UEFI BIOSes and can be converted to the AMI Aptio standard architecture by using the tool named INTEL2AMI. After having done that, the AMI Aptio IV MMTool should be able to do the desired BIOS modding operations.
Since I am not an expert regarding the modification of Intel BIOSes and never used the INTEL2AMI tool, you should ask someone else for support.

@AwesomeMarioFan - upload your dumped BIOS and I will update it for you, or if you only want to do it yourself I will tell you method I would use to update it.

@CivilDrone :
Since there was no need to create a separate thread for your request, I have moved the related discussion with @Lost_N_BIOS into this already existing one.

Thanks for that @Fernando !
@Lost_N_BIOS I have managed to mod and flash bios but it didn’t not work. I have sourced an old bios (E7972IMS.A42 02/22/2016) which is missing from msi’s download section and it is working fine
Ideally I would want latest bios with microcode updated as I cant see an update coming for z170’s. Latest bios is 7972vAC and linked from msi site: http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7972vAC.zip
Uploaded a modded bios to tiny upload: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…454711975854948 also uploadfiles.io: https://ufile.io/iha1xkzz
Thanks again!

@CivilDrone - flashed it and what didn’t work? Maybe you did the mod, whatever you did, incorrectly? How did it "Not work"
I would not suggest using some old BIOS like you mentioned, use latest BIOS. If you only are updating microcodes, and it’s failing to boot after you flash, then that means it’s a badly modified BIOS. How are you modifying it?
I will do it for you if this is what’s happening, but to latest BIOS, is that OK? If yes, link me to your motherboards download page

@Lost_N_BIOS
Modded bios with mmtool and ubu
Upon running ubu all sections state YES in green and original bios states only 1 which leads me to believe it has modded
Bios flashed and booted no problem but oc doesnt hold even though all steps exact same as in old bios i have flashed and its stable
Could you update it please i have linked in the post above, msi z170 mortar
7972vAC and linked from msi site: http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7972vAC.zip
Thank you

@CivilDrone - Thanks for info, maybe still bad BIOS mod and ucode is not being loaded, is this the mod BIOS you linked at post 417? If yes, I will compare with stock and let you know if it’s a bad mod or not.
Please link me to your motherboards download page, not some direct BIOS link. Thanks - Really needing to confirm that now, since I look up the model you mentioned and do not find it, instead only see MSI Z170M Mortar

Also, since you are changing directly CPU related control items, your old OC settings may need re-tweaked, but I’ll check your mod BIOS it may not be done correctly which would cause no microcodes to be loaded instead of correct updated one
What CPU do you have?