[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

hello and maybe you can help me i bought an intel xeon e5 2696 v2 for only a few Dollars so now the Problem i got my bios (newest 3.30 for asrock x79 extreme11) don`t got microcode for the cpu i checked up with the tool you post in this thread the newest microcode in bios is from 2013 the cpu was manufactured in 2014 where to get the microcode for it or do you got a file that is Able to integrate in my bios with the tool i am down to the ground search for 48 h the web and nothing to get …

@ Aljoscha:

The latest microcode we have for that cpu seems to be cpu000306E4_platED_ver00000428_date#29-05-2014. Use UBU to update it.

ok how to do it can you upload the file so i only have to insert it with mmtool?

It’s a lot easier to do it with UBU and it will also remove all the other older 306E4 microcodes from the SPI image. I have attached the microcode either way.

cpu000306E4_platED_ver00000428_date#29-05-2014.rar (13.1 KB)

ok bios is patched now Comes the test…:slight_smile:

Hi Laffo,

I meanwhile can ship CH341A EEPROM Programmer or Bios from Germany… It allows writing Bios chips at will.

I concluded for the ASUS P8z77LX:
1. You cannot overcome the Bios Write Protection with the recent windows version of BUpdater or FTK-Master. AFUWIN can, but don’t use it, it will swap some FF spaces with other Symbols and that will cause the Bios to be non-functional.
2. Flashing back to an old Bios Version without write protection is very risky. I tried P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-0610.CAP and it did not start the system. Be aware that the old bios does maybe not support your Memory, CPU or GPU installed. Also, for Hardware Flashback, you will have to configure you bios to “Full USB initialization” and “Keyboard and Mouse” in advance and best use a PS/2 Keyboard unless it will initialize in the desired 1,5 seconds. Also it will be a blind task and thus I would not recommend it.
3. Nvme, NvmeSmm, NvmeInt13 does not work, only NvmeExpressDxE works and will show the device in the Boot List.
4a. Windows 7 did not work for me, no Install DVD/USB Medium I created was accepted as UEFI Bootable. In fact, it is easier to convert your existing Windows 7 as follows (You need Windows 10 bcdedit.exe for it): https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik…on-to-uefi.aspx
4b. Windows 10 works on NVMe and z77! It will add a Boot Manager to your hidden EFI System partition. This Boot Manager also allows Dual Operating System Boot (Windows 7 / 10 on one NVme Drive)
5. UBU generates non-functional Bios-Files, they often even cannot be opened by Intel Flash Programmer Software. Better use MMTools to update and use the EFI Driver v13.1 of z97 Mainboards. It is reliable.
6. Updating Intel MEI is easy and worth it and works in any case, also with write protection, use FWUpdate.
7. Even if you use CH341A Writer always push “verify”, unless it may not have been written correctly! I had that once.
8. If you have no EEPROM Writer you can order a programmed Bios Chip at (just build your personnal Bios with MMTools): http://www.biosflash.de/bios-chip-bauformen.htm

hello at all,
I have the same problem with "write-protected". I have an ASUS Z87-A, modded BIOS with the three nvme entries from a Z97-A, but I cannot flash them. If I try with AFU 5.05, I get follow message:

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| AMI Firmware Update Utility v5.05.04 |
| Copyright (C)2013 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reading flash ............... done
3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size.

So are there other abilities to flash them without security or write protected?

then you might have exceeded the 8MB?

nope, the same size than the original. 8194 KB

maybe it means "I cannot overcome write protection"…
I can send you the EEPROM writer if you want, its an USB device and can write every Bios you want.

Do I need a EEPROM writer board (USB)?
You can send me a PM or share this here =)

Use FPT (DOS) or FPTW32/64 (Windows). You need the 9.1 or 9.5 version

Error 201: [FPTw64.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.
Please contact your vendor.

This was with Version 8. Then I found a 9.1 and 9.5 version and I tried again. There is a security lock and I'm getting error 208.

The Asus Z87-A should have the write protected descriptor on MEI or similar bios area and this don’t allow to dump or flash bios.
You could try with MESET.exe from Clevo and see, after rebooting in Windows, if FPT is working.

The best thing, IMHO, is to flash chip via an external programmer. :slight_smile:

I can’t find the FPT tool. Maybe i’m tired.
I spent the whole night trying to mod the bios and flashing it with the usb flashback, but it won’t flash. It blinks for 3 seconds and stops.

I own a Asus Z87-deluxe and try to get NVME running for my Samsung SP951. Don’t want to buy a new mainboard or set. Maybe someone succesfully flashed a modded bios on this motherboard?

The link for the tool is no longer valid. Is there a version that is best? Thanks.

P. S. Is there an area for requests?

>Here< is a working link.

Which sort of requests do you mean? If you should mean modded BIOSes upon request, the answer is "No!", but we have >here< a Sub-Forum, where already modded BIOSes can be offered.

Look >here< into the chapter "C2. Intel ME System Tools Full Packages". There you can find the appropriate Flash Programming Tool for your specific Intel ME Firmware platform.

The link for amiflash.zip doesn’t work.

The link works. I just have downloaded the file named BIOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip.