Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine:
Drivers, Firmware and Tools for (CS)ME 2-15

Last Updated: 2022-09-08

Intel Management Engine Introduction:

Built into many Intel-based platforms is a small, low power computer subsystem called the Intel Management Engine (Intel ME). This can perform various tasks while the system is booting, running or sleeping. It operates independently from the main CPU, BIOS and OS but can interact with them if needed. The ME is responsible for many parts of an Intel-based system. Such functionality extends, but it's not limited, to Platform Clocks Control (ICC), Thermal Monitoring, Fan Control, Power Management, Overclocking, Silicon Workaround (resolves silicon bugs which would have otherwise required a new cpu stepping), Identity Protection Technology, Boot Guard, Rapid Start Technology, Smart Connect Technology, Sensor Hub Controller (ISHC), Active Management Technology (AMT), Small Business Advantage (SBA), Wireless Display, PlayReady, Protected Video/Audio Path etc. For certain advanced/corporate features (i.e. AMT, SBA) the ME uses an out-of-band (OOB) network interface to perform functions even when the system is powered down, the OS and/or hard drivers are non-functional etc. Thus it is essential for it to be operational in order for the platform to be working properly, no matter if the advanced/corporate features are available or not.

Intel Converged Security Engine Introduction:

The evolution of Intel Management Engine into a unified security co-processor, running x86 code under a Minix-based Operating System. It was first introduced in 2015 with the release of Skylake CPUs working alongside 100-series Sunrise Point Platform Controller Hub (PCH). The CSE hardware can run Management Engine (ME) 11+, Trusted Execution Engine (TXE) 3+ or Server Platform Services (SPS) 4+ firmware. So there are a total of three families of CSE-based firmware: CSME (CSE ME), CSTXE (CSE TXE) and CSSPS (CSE SPS). The CSE hardware is also capable of running other types of firmware such as Power Management Controller (PMC), Integrated Sensor Hub (ISH), Imaging Unit (iUnit), Clear Audio Voice Speech (cAVS), Wireless Microcode (WCOD) etc.

Intel Power Management Controller Introduction:

Handles all Platform Controller Hub (PCH) power management related activities, running ARC code on top of the CSE hardware. PMC administers power management functions of the PCH including interfacing with other logic and controllers on the platform to perform power state transitions, configure, manage and respond to wake events, aggregate and report latency tolerance information for devices and peripherals connected to and integrated into the PCH etc. It was first introduced in 2018 with the release of Coffee/Cannon Lake CPUs working alongside 300-series Cannon Point PCH.

Disclaimer:

All the software and firmware below comes only from official updates which were provided and made public by various manufacturers!
The System Tools are gathered and provided with the sole purpose of helping people who are out of other viable solutions. Thus, they can be extremely helpful to those who have major problems with their systems for which their manufacturer refuses to assist due to indifference and/or system age.

Getting Started:

Intel (CS)ME is a Hardware platform which runs Firmware, is monitored/configured by Tools and interfaces with the user via Drivers. To get started, you need at the very least to know what (CS)ME firmware major and minor version your system is running. Such info can be retrieved in various ways but you can use the free system information and diagnostics tool HWiNFO > Motherboard > Intel ME > Intel ME Version. The format is Major.Minor, Build, Hotfix. Once you determine the system's (CS)ME firmware major and minor version, you can install the latest Drivers from section A and update the (CS)ME Firmware by following sequentially the relevant steps at Section B using the required Tools from Section C.

A. Intel MEI Drivers

The latest v16 drivers are usable with (CS)ME 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 systems running under Windows 10 >= 1709. Users of other (CS)ME and/or OS versions, must check Section D to find the driver they need. In order to check your current installed version, use Intel MEInfo tool as instructed below.

These packages contain the Intel MEI drivers with their respective software and system services. It is advised to install these to enable all the Engine-related functionality. Since the Intel MEI Drivers and Software are OS version dependent, search and run "winver.exe" to determine your own.
B. Intel (CS)ME, PMC, PCHC and PHY Firmware

SPI/BIOS Regions (FD/Engine/BIOS):

The SPI/BIOS chip firmware is divided into regions which control different aspects of an Intel-based system. The mandatory regions are the Flash Descriptor (FD), the (Converged Security) Management Engine (CSME/ME or Engine) and the BIOS. The FD controls read/write access between the SPI/BIOS chip regions and holds certain system hardware settings. The (CS)ME holds the system's Engine firmware. For security reasons, the FD and Engine regions of the SPI/BIOS chip are usually locked so that no read/write access is allowed via software means. Since the FD controls that read/write access, it must be locked/protected so that it is not manually overwritten to allow unauthorized access to the firmware regions of the system's SPI/BIOS chip. The Engine region at the system's SPI/BIOS chip is also locked/protected due to the nature of the CSE/ME co-processor, as explained at the Introductions above.

Engine Firmware Attributes (Family/Platform/SKU/Version):

Intel (CS)ME or Engine firmware is mainly categorized based on its target Chipset Family (i.e. Cougar Point, Cannon Point, Lake Field, Tiger Point), Chipset Platform (H = Halo, LP = Low Power, N = Nano, V = Value), Type/SKU (i.e. Consumer, Corporate, Slim, Lite, 1.5MB, 5MB) and Version (i.e. 12.0.6.1120 = Major.Minor.Hotfix.Build). Be careful of what firmware your download relevant to your system. To understand your exact Chipset Family, Chipset Platform, (CS)ME Type/SKU and (CS)ME Version, you can usually run MEInfo or MEManuf tools with "-verbose" parameter. Otherwise, ME Analyzer can show you all the relevant information, after loading your SPI/BIOS image (Flash Descriptor + Engine + BIOS), when the latter is available. If a SPI/BIOS image is not available, run FWUpdate tool with parameter "-save fw.bin" and load the resulting "fw.bin" image into ME Analyzer instead. All the firmware below correspond to a specific Platform which runs a specific (CS)ME firmware version (example: For systems running CSME Corporate H v11.0 - v11.8).

Engine Firmware Regions (RGN/EXTR):

The Type of each Engine/(CS)ME firmware Region can be either Stock (RGN) or Extracted (EXTR). Stock are clean/stock/unconfigured images provided by Intel to OEMs. Extracted are dirty/extracted/configured images from various SPI/BIOS. The Engine firmware at the system's SPI/BIOS chip is always EXTR, generated by the OEM after configuring the equivalent RGN with the appropriate system settings.

Engine Firmware Configuration (CODE/DATA):

The Engine Firmware Regions (RGN/EXTR) consist of two sections: CODE and DATA. CODE is the actual Engine firmware whereas DATA is where all the system-specific settings are stored, as configured by the OEM at the factory via Intel Flash Image Tool. The Engine firmware is not static as it holds system-specific configuration and can additionally be configured by the Engine co-processor itself while the system is running in order to provide the proper support and functionality. Any such changes are written into the DATA section of the Engine Region and the firmware is considered Initialized. That means that the DATA section can be in one of three states: Unconfigured, Configured or Initialized. Unconfigured means that the Engine firmware image is the stock one Intel provides and not configured by the OEM at all (RGN). Configured means that the OEM has applied model specific settings and the Engine region is ready for deployment (EXTR). Initialized means that the Engine region comes from a system which was already running and thus the Engine co-processor has further configured the DATA section to suit that particular system better (system specific or dirty EXTR).

FWUpdate Update Images (UPD):

FWUpdate images (UPD) are partial RGN/EXTR firmware regions which contain only ME CODE without any DATA. They are created and used only by Intel's FWUpdate tool. Thus, they can neither be opened nor configured by Intel Flash Image Tool (FIT). Never flash UPD images via anything other than Intel FWUpdate tool. UPD images are not needed for 7-series (ME 8) or newer systems. However, all 6-series (ME 7) or older systems must use UPD images in order to initiate a ME firmware update. Thus, at section B1 below, only RGN/EXTR images are provided for 7-series (ME 8) or newer systems and only UPD images are provided for 6-series (ME 7) or older systems.

Independent Update Partitions (IUP):

The Engine firmware consists of multiple Partitions (sections) and each one is responsible for different features/capabilities. For example, the Fault Tolerant Partition (FTPR) contains CODE which is essential for the (CS)ME operation whereas the File System Partition (MFS, EFFS) contains the Configured and/or Initialized DATA. Some (CS)ME firmware Partitions target auxiliary CSE/ME co-processor devices or capabilities and can also be updated independently of the main (CS)ME firmware. These are called Independent Update Partitions (IUP) with the most notable/important ones being Power Management Controller (PMC), Platform Controller Hub Configuration (PCHC) and USB Type C Physical (PHY).

Starting from CSME 12+, the main CSME firmware must first be combined/stitched with one or more obligatory IUPs, before initiating an update procedure via FWUpdate tool. Whenever CSME + IUP merging is required, equivalent instructions and firmware are provided below. The following CSME/IUP Table lists the CSME 12+ firmware Major.Minor versions which require the presence of IUP(s) and their respective versions or SKUs. You'll need to consult this table while following the update instructions below to choose the correct CSME + IUP combination for your system.

CSME_IUP_Table_15

Engine Security Version Number (SVN):

All (CS)ME >= 8 and all IUP firmware are defined by a Security Version Number (SVN) like 1,2,3 etc which is used to control the possible upgrade/downgrade paths provided by Intel’s FWUpdate tool. The SVN gets incremented if there is a high or critical security fix that requires a Trusted Computing Base (TCB) recovery operation, a significant event in the life cycle of the firmware which requires renewal of the security signing keys in use. A downgrade to a lower SVN value via FWUpdate tool is prohibited whereas an upgrade to the same or higher SVN is allowed. For example if your current firmware has a SVN of 2, you can update to another firmware with SVN >= 2 (for example 3) but you cannot downgrade to another firmware with SVN < 2 (for example 1). Trying to flash a firmware with lower SVN will result in the error "The image provided is not supported by the platform" or similar. To view the SVN value of any (CS)ME or PMC firmware, you can use ME Analyzer tool.

Engine Version Control Number (VCN):

All (CS)ME >= 8 and all IUP firmware are defined by a Version Control Number (VCN) like 1,2,45,193 etc which is used to control the possible upgrade/downgrade paths provided by Intel’s FWUpdate tool. The VCN gets incremented if there is a security fix, a significant firmware change or a new feature addition. A downgrade to a lower VCN value via FWUpdate tool is prohibited whereas an upgrade to the same or higher VCN is allowed. For example if your current firmware has a VCN of 176, you can update to another firmware with VCN >= 176 (for example 193) but you cannot downgrade to another firmware with VCN < 176 (for example 174). Trying to flash a firmware with lower VCN will result in the error "The image provided is not supported by the platform" or similar. To view the VCN value of any (CS)ME firmware, you can use ME Analyzer tool.

Engine Production Ready Status (PV):

All (CS)ME >= 8 and all IUP firmware are defined by a Production Version/Ready Status (PV) which can be either Yes or No and is used to control the possible upgrade/downgrade paths provided by Intel’s FWUpdate tool. The PV status is set to Yes when a firmware is validated/ready for use at Production platforms, thus when its status is Stable and not Beta, Alpha etc. An upgrade/downgrade from PV to non-PV firmware via FWUpdate tool is prohibited whereas upgrades/downgrades to the same PV or from non-PV to PV are allowed. For example if your current firmware has PV set to Yes, you can upgrade/downgrade to another firmware with PV set to Yes but you cannot upgrade/downgrade to another firmware with PV set to No. Trying to flash a firmware with incompatible PV will result in the error "The image provided is not supported by the platform" or similar. To view the PV status of any (CS)ME firmware, you can use ME Analyzer tool.

Power Down Mitigation (PDM):

At CSME v11 LP firmware, make sure to mind the PDM status which is distinguished between YPDM (Yes) and NPDM (No). PDM is some sort of erratum, which is only relevant to 100-series PCH-LP systems. Thus, it is an attribute of every CSME v11.0 - v11.8 firmware which supports 100-series PCH-LP systems. The PDM status of a firmware can be detected by ME Analyzer by loading either your SPI/BIOS image (Flash Descriptor + Engine + BIOS) or an Engine Firmware Recovery image which can be generated via FWUpdate tool parameter "-save recovery.bin".

Power Management Controller (PMC) IUP:

PMC firmware always targets a specific Chipset Family/Codename (i.e. CNP, ICP, LKF, CMP), Chipset Platform (i.e. H, LP, N, V) and Chipset Stepping/Revision (i.e. A, B, C, D). For example, a CSME 12.0 Corporate H B system must use PMC CNP H B 300.2 firmware, a CSME 15.0 Consumer LP B system must use PMC TGP LP B 150.1 firmware etc. The PMC firmware can only be updated after being merged with a compatible CSME firmware via Flash Image Tool.

Platform Controller Hub Configuration (PCHC) IUP:

PCHC firmware always targets a specific Chipset Family/Codename (i.e. ICP, CMP, TGP). For example, a CSME 13.0 Consumer LP D system must use PCHC ICP 13.0 firmware, a CSME 15.40 Server LP B system must use PCHC EHL 15.0 firmware etc. The PCHC firmware can only be updated after being merged with a compatible CSME firmware via Flash Image Tool.

USB Type C Physical (PHY) IUP:

PHY firmware always targets a specific Chipset Family/Codename (i.e. LKF, CMP, TGP) and PHY Type/SKU (i.e. S, N, P). For example, a CSME 14.1 Consumer H A system must use PHY P CMP firmware, a CSME 13.30 Lite LP B SPI system must use PHY S LKF firmware etc. The PHY firmware can only be updated after being merged with a compatible CSME firmware via Flash Image Tool.

How to update Engine firmware:

There are two ways to upgrade or downgrade the Engine firmware: either via Intel FWUpdate tool or manually.

• The Intel FWUpdate tool is an official command line utility provided by Intel which uses the Engine co-processor itself to upgrade/downgrade the (CS)ME firmware quickly and easily. FWUpdate tool requires that the Engine co-processor is operational and that its current Engine firmware region is healthy at the system's SPI/BIOS chip. To check if the Engine itself as well as its current firmware are healthy, you can use Intel MEInfo and MEManuf tools, as instructed below. FWUpdate tool also requires that the SVN, VCN and PV are not violated. FWUpdate tool does not require the user to have read/write access to the Engine firmware region of the system's SPI/BIOS chip, as dictated by the Flash Descriptor region permissions. Moreover, FWUpdate tool deals only with Engine CODE and does not require any prior Configuration (DATA). It can thus work with either RGN or EXTR Engine Regions. The basic usage is FWUpdLcl -allowsv -f update_file_name.bin for (CS)ME >= 7 or FWUpdLcl update_file_name.bin -generic for ME <= 6. Starting from CSME 12+, the main CSME firmware needs to be combined/stitched together with one or more IUPs first before initiating an update/downgrade procedure, as described below. You can see the entire supported parameters by displaying the utility's help screen via FWUpdLcl -?. You can also see a few basic usage examples via FWUpdLcl -exp. Note that the name of the file to be flashed via FWUpdate does not matter.

• In the event in which the usage of Intel FWUpdate tool is not possible, you can try to upgrade/downgrade the (CS)ME firmware manually. Such cases include downgrading to Engine firmware which violate SVN, VCN or PV, repairing a corruption/problem etc. To upgrade/downgrade/repair manually, you need first and foremost to have read/write access to the Engine firmware region of the system's SPI/BIOS chip. To check if your FD is locked or to attempt to unlock it, follow the [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing. Once you have read/write access to the Engine firmware region of your system's SPI/BIOS chip, you can use any general purpose firmware flasher software such as Intel Flash Programming Tool, AMI AFU, Flashrom etc, which directly reads/writes the system's SPI/BIOS chip firmware. Before flashing, you must make sure that the Engine firmware region to be flashed back is Configured (EXTR) for your specific system via Intel Flash Image Tool (FIT). In order to do that, follow the [Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization. Never flash RGN or 3rd-party EXTR firmware to the Engine firmware region of the system's SPI/BIOS chip without first configuring them for your specific system (EXTR) via FIT. Since general purpose firmware software do not upgrade/downgrade/repair the Engine firmware region of the system's SPI/BIOS chip via the Engine co-processor itself, they are usually not restricted by the SVN, VCN and PV security measures. As long as you have read/write access to the Engine firmware region of the system's SPI/BIOS chip and a DATA Configured (EXTR) Engine firmware image, they should accomplish the desired action. Note however that some platforms have the current TCB SVN and/or ARB SVN value permanently set/fused/burned in the Chipset so you cannot downgrade their firmware with another which has lower TCB SVN and/or ARB SVN.

How to use FWUpdate Tool at CSME v13+:

At CSME 13 or newer, FWUpdate tool requires CSME firmware which has been combined/stitched with its equivalent IUP firmware (i.e. PMC, PCHC, PHY) via Flash Image Tool (FIT). To proceed, you must first learn your system's Chipset Family/Codename (i.e. ICP, LKF, JSP, CMP, TGP, EHL), Chipset Platform (i.e. H, LP, N, V), Chipset Type (i.e. Consumer, Corporate, Slim, Value, Atom, Server) and Chipset Stepping/Revision (i.e. A, B, C, D).

• Download the latest Intel CSME System Tools from Section C2 as well as ME Analyzer tool.
  • From Intel CSME System Tools, run MEInfo command line tool and under "Intel(R) ME code versions" > "FW Version" you will find your system's Chipset Platform as well as Chipset Type (e.g. LP Consumer). Under "PCH Information" > "PCH Step Data" you will find your system's Chipset Stepping/Revision which starts with a letter (i.e. Ax, Bx, Cx). Alternatively, drag and drop your system's SPI/BIOS image (Flash Descriptor + Engine + BIOS) at ME Analyzer tool and find "SKU" field which shows your system's Chipset Type and Chipset Platform (i.e. Consumer LP). Next, find "Chipset Stepping" field which lists one or more supported Chipset Steppings in the form of letters (i.e. A, B, C).
  • Based on your system's Chipset Family/Codename, Chipset Platform, Chipset Type and Chipset Stepping/Revision, consult the CSME/IUP Table above and choose the correct CSME, PMC, PCHC and/or PHY firmware from Sections B1-B4.
  • Input the chosen CSME firmware into ME Analyzer tool and make sure that "FWUpdate Support" is not reported as "Impossible".
  • From Intel CSME System Tools, go to Flash Image Tool folder and make sure that only two (2) files exist: fit.exe and vsccommn.bin. Otherwise, delete the rest.
  • Run Flash Image Tool (FIT) and adjust the Chipset Platform drop-down menu at the top based on your system's Chipset Platform (i.e. H series, LP series, N series, V series, Lakefield, Jasper Lake, Elkhart Lake). At CSME 14.1, adjust to "H series (With RocketLake)". For the purposes of FWUpdate, there is no need to further adjust the actual Chipset SKU on the right.
  • Load or drag and drop the chosen CSME firmware image anywhere at FIT and go to "FW Update Image Build" tab on the left.
  • If your chosen CSME firmware requires PMC IUP, input its firmware at "PMC Image" > "PMC Binary File" field.
  • If your chosen CSME firmware requires PCHC IUP, input its firmware at "PCHC Image" > "PCH Configuration File" field.
  • If your chosen CSME firmware requires PHY IUP, input its firmware at "PHY Image" > "PHY Binary File" field.
  • Click the green "Build Image For FWUpdate" button at the top right and a "FWUpdate.bin" file will be generated.
  • Input "FWUpdate.bin" file into ME Analyzer tool and make sure that "FWUpdate Support" is reported as "Yes".
  • Use FWUpdate tool to flash the "FWUpdate.bin" image.

How to use FWUpdate Tool at CSME v12:

At CSME v12, FWUpdate tool requires CSME firmware which has been combined/stitched with its equivalent IUP firmware (PMC) via Flash Image Tool (FIT). To proceed, you must first learn your system's Chipset Platform (H, LP), Chipset Type (Consumer, Corporate, Slim) and Chipset Stepping/Revision (i.e. A, B, C).

• Download the latest Intel CSME System Tools from Section C2 as well as ME Analyzer tool.
  • From Intel CSME System Tools, run MEInfo command line tool and under "Intel(R) ME code versions" > "FW Version" you will find your system's Chipset Platform as well as Chipset Type (e.g. H Consumer). Under "PCH Information" > "PCH Step Data" you will find your system's Chipset Stepping/Revision which starts with a letter (i.e. Ax, Bx, Cx). Alternatively, drag and drop your system's SPI/BIOS image (Flash Descriptor + Engine + BIOS) at ME Analyzer tool and find "SKU" field which shows your system's Chipset Type and Chipset Platform (i.e. Consumer H). Next, find "Chipset Stepping" field which lists one or more supported Chipset Steppings/Revisions in the form of letters (i.e. A, B, C).
  • Based on your system's Chipset Platform, Chipset Type and Chipset Stepping/Revision, consult the CSME/IUP Table above and choose the correct CSME and PMC firmware from Sections B1-B2.
  • Input the chosen CSME firmware into ME Analyzer tool and make sure that "FWUpdate Support" is not reported as "Impossible".
  • From Intel CSME System Tools, go to Flash Image Tool folder and make sure that only two (2) files exist: fit.exe and vsccommn.bin. Otherwise, delete the rest.
  • Run Flash Image Tool (FIT) and adjust the Chipset Platform drop-down menu at the top to either "H Series Chipset" or "LP Series Chipset" based on your system's Chipset Platform. For the purposes of FWUpdate, there is no need to further adjust the Chipset SKU on the right.
  • Load/drop the chosen CSME firmware image and then input the chosen PMC IUP firmware at "Flash Layout" > "Ifwi: Intel(R) Me and Pmc Region" > "PMC Binary File".
  • Adjust "Flash Settings" > "Flash Components" > "Number of Flash Components" to "0".
  • Adjust "Integrated Sensor Hub" > "Integrated Sensor Hub" > "Integrated Sensor Hub Supported" to "No".
  • Click the green "Build Image" button at the top and a "cse_image_FWU_Base.bin" file will be generated.
  • Input "cse_image_FWU_Base.bin" file into ME Analyzer tool and make sure that "FWUpdate Support" is reported as "Yes".
  • Use FWUpdate tool to flash the "cse_image_FWU_Base.bin" image.

Note: To extract the files below you need to use programs which support RAR5 compression!

B1. (Converged Security) Management Engine - (CS)ME

• CSME 15.40 Server LP B SPI
    For CSME Server LP B SPI v15.40
  • CSME 15.0 Consumer H B
    For CSME Consumer H A,B v15.0
  • CSME 15.0 Corporate H B
    For CSME Corporate H A,B v15.0
  • CSME 15.0 Consumer LP B
    For CSME Consumer LP B,C v15.0
  • CSME 15.0 Corporate LP B
    For CSME Corporate LP B,C v15.0
  • CSME 14.5 Consumer V A
    For CSME Consumer V A v14.5
  • CSME 14.1 Consumer H A
    For CSME Consumer H A v14.0 - v14.1
  • CSME 14.1 Corporate H A
    For CSME Corporate H A v14.0 - v14.1
  • CSME 14.1 Consumer LP B,A
    For CSME Consumer LP B,A v14.0 - v14.1
  • CSME 14.1 Corporate LP B,A
    For CSME Corporate LP B,A v14.0 - v14.1
  • CSME 14.1 Slim H A
    For CSME Slim H A v14.0 - v14.1
  • CSME 13.50 Atom N A
    For CSME Atom N A v13.50
  • CSME 13.30 Lite LP B SPI
    For CSME Lite LP B SPI v13.30
  • CSME 13.0 Consumer LP D
    For CSME Consumer LP D v13.0
  • CSME 13.0 Slim N A
    For CSME Slim N A,B v13.0
  • CSME 12.0 Consumer H B,A
    For CSME Consumer H B,A v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Corporate H B,A
    For CSME Corporate H B,A v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Consumer LP C
    For CSME Consumer LP C v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Consumer LP B
    For CSME Consumer LP B v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Corporate LP C
    For CSME Corporate LP C v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Slim H B,A
    For CSME Slim H B,A v12.0
  • CSME 12.0 Slim LP C
    For CSME Slim LP C v12.0
  • CSME 11.22 Corporate H B,A
    For CSME Corporate H B,A v11.20 - v11.22
  • CSME 11.22 Slim H B,A
    For CSME Slim H B,A v11.20 - v11.22
  • CSME 11.12 Consumer H A
    For CSME Consumer H A v11.10 - v11.12
  • CSME 11.12 Corporate H A
    For CSME Corporate H A v11.10 - v11.12
  • CSME 11.12 Slim H A
    For CSME Slim H A v11.10 - v11.12
  • CSME 11.8 Consumer H D,A
    For CSME Consumer H D,A v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Corporate H D,A
    For CSME Corporate H D,A v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Consumer LP C NPDM
    For CSME Consumer LP C NPDM v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Consumer LP C YPDM
    For CSME Consumer LP C YPDM v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Corporate LP C NPDM
    For CSME Corporate LP C NPDM v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Corporate LP C YPDM
    For CSME Corporate LP C YPDM v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Slim H D,A
    For CSME Slim H D,A v11.0 - v11.8
  • CSME 11.8 Slim LP C NPDM
    For CSME Slim LP C NPDM v11.0 - v11.8
  • ME 10.0 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v10.0
  • ME 10.0 5MB
    For ME 5MB v10.0
  • ME 10.0 Slim
    For ME Slim v10.0
  • ME 9.5 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v9.5
  • ME 9.5 5MB
    For ME 5MB v9.5
  • ME 9.5 Slim
    For ME Slim v9.5
  • ME 9.1 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v9.1
  • ME 9.1 5MB
    For ME 5MB v9.1
  • ME 9.0 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v9.0
  • ME 9.0 5MB
    For ME 5MB v9.0
  • ME 8 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v8
  • ME 8 5MB
    For ME 5MB v8
  • ME 7 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v7
  • ME 7 5MB
    For ME 5MB v7
  • ME 7 Slim
    For ME Slim v7
  • ME 6 1.5MB
    For ME 1.5MB v6
  • ME 6 5MB Desktop
    For ME 5MB DT v6
  • ME 6 5MB Mobile
    For ME 5MB MB v6
  • ME 6 Ignition IBX
    For ME Ignition IBX v6
  • ME 6 Ignition CCK
    For ME Ignition CCK v6.0.50
  • ME 5 Base Consumer
    For ME Base Consumer v5
  • ME 5 Digital Office
    For ME Digital Office v5
  • ME 4 TPM
    For ME TPM v4
  • ME 4 AMT
    For ME AMT v4
  • ME 4 AMT + TPM
    For ME AMT + TPM v4
  • ME 3 QST
    For ME QST v3
  • ME 3 ASF
    For ME ASF v3
  • ME 3 AMT
    For ME AMT v3
  • ME 2 QST
    For ME QST v2
  • ME 2 AMT Mobile
    For ME AMT MB v2.5 - v2.6
  • ME 2 AMT Desktop
    For ME AMT DT v2.0 - v2.2

B2. Power Management Controller - PMC

• PMC MCC LP B 154.1
    For PMC MCC LP B v154.1.1x
  • PMC TGP H B 150.2
    For PMC TGP H B v150.2.1x
  • PMC TGP LP C 150.1
    For PMC TGP LP C v150.1.2x
  • PMC CMP V A 140.1
    For PMC CMP V A v140.1.0x
  • PMC CMP H A 140.2
    For PMC CMP H A v140.2.0x
  • PMC CMP LP A 140.1
    For PMC CMP LP A v140.1.0x
  • PMC JSP N A 135.3
    For PMC JSP N A v135.3.0x
  • PMC LKF SoC B 133.0
    For PMC LKF SoC B v133.0.1x
  • PMC ICP LP D 130.1
    For PMC ICP LP D v130.1.3x
  • PMC ICP N B 130.3
    For PMC ICP N B v130.3.1x
  • PMC CNP H B 300.2
    For PMC CNP H B v300.2.1x
  • PMC CNP LP C 300.1
    For PMC CNP LP C v300.1.2x
  • PMC CNP LP B 300.1
    For PMC CNP LP B v300.1.1x

B3. Platform Controller Hub Configuration - PCHC

• PCHC MCC 15.40
    For PCHC MCC v15.40
  • PCHC TGP 15.0
    For PCHC TGP v15.0
  • PCHC CMP 14.5
    For PCHC CMP v14.5
  • PCHC CMP 14.0
    For PCHC CMP v14.0
  • PCHC JSP 13.5
    For PCHC JSP v13.5
  • PCHC LKF 13.30
    For PCHC LKF v13.30
  • PCHC ICP 13.0
    For PCHC ICP v13.0

B4. USB Type C Physical - PHY

• PHY P TGP 12
    For PHY P TGP v12
  • PHY P CMP 12
    For PHY P CMP v12
  • PHY S LKF 10
    For PHY S LKF v10

C. Intel (CS)ME System Tools

The Intel (CS)ME System Tools are used for creating, modifying, and writing binary image files, manufacturing testing, Intel (CS)ME setting information gathering and Intel (CS)ME firmware configuration and updating. These tools are not released to end-users but only to OEMs. The software below comes only from official updates which were provided and made public by various OEMs.

Flash Image Tool: Creates and configures a complete SPI image file which includes regions such as Flash Descriptor (FD), BIOS/UEFI, Intel Integrated LAN (GbE), Intel (CS)ME etc. The user can manipulate the completed SPI image via a GUI and change the various chipset parameters to match the target hardware.

Flash Programming Tool: Used to program a complete SPI image into the SPI flash device(s). FPT can program each region individually or it can program all of the regions with a single command. The user can also use FPT to perform various functions such as view the contents of the flash on the screen, write the contents of the flash to a log file, perform a binary file to flash comparison, write to a specific address block, program fixed offset variables etc.

Manifest Extension Utility: Used to generate a 3rd party Independent Update Partitions (IUP) which are compressed and signed by an external signing tool, such as OpenSSL. The signed contents may then be stitched into a SPI/BIOS image using the Intel Flash Image Tool (FIT).

Notice: Avoid using the Windows builds of very old (CS)ME System Tools which either retrieve info (MEInfo, MEManuf, Flash Programming Tool) or modify the platform (FWUpdate, Flash Programming Tool, Integrated Clock Controller) as they may not work properly on newer operating system versions. When available, it is advised to use either the DOS or EFI builds of said very old tools.

Notice: Avoid running the System Tools from paths which include non-English characters (i.e. Cyrillic, Chinese, Arabic, Greek) as it may cause them to crash or behave unpredictably.

C1. Identifying, Updating and Diagnosing Intel (CS)ME Firmware

Those who are looking to update/downgrade their firmware should use MEInfo, FWUpdate and MEManuf tools for status information, updating and functionality checking accordingly. The information and instructions below apply to these three tools only and can be found inside the full Intel ME System Tools Packages.

MEInfo: Shows (CS)ME and IUP info and checks that the Engine co-processor is operating properly on the software/firmware level. Make sure it doesn't report any errors. You can use "-verbose" parameter to get status info in more detail. The "GBE Region does not exist" warning is normal for systems that don't have an Intel GbE Controller, you can safely ignore it.

MEManuf: Diagnostic tool which runs various manufacturing-line tests to ensure that the Engine co-processor is operating properly on the hardware level. It should report a "MEManuf Operation Passed" or similar success message. You can use "-verbose" parameter to get diagnostic info in more detail.

FWUpdate: Used to effortlessly upgrade or downgrade the (CS)ME and IUP (i.e PMC, PCHC, PHY) Engine firmware. Read more about FWUpdate tool at Section B.

C2. (CS)ME System Tools

Note: To extract the files below you need to use programs which support RAR5 compression!

• CSME System Tools v15.40
    For CSME v15.40
  • CSME System Tools v15.0
    For CSME v15.0
  • CSME System Tools v14.5
    For CSME v14.5
  • CSME System Tools v14.0.20+
    For CSME v14.0.20 or newer
  • CSME System Tools v14.0.11-
    For CSME v14.0.11 or older
  • CSME System Tools v13.50
    For CSME v13.50
  • CSME System Tools v13.30
    For CSME v13.30
  • CSME System Tools v13.0
    For CSME v13.0
  • CSME System Tools v12
    For CSME v12
  • CSME System Tools v11
    For CSME v11
  • ME System Tools v10.0
    For ME v10.0
  • ME System Tools v9.5
    For ME v9.5
  • ME System Tools v9.1
    For ME v9.0 - v9.1
  • ME System Tools v8
    For ME v8
  • ME System Tools v7
    For ME v7
  • ME System Tools v6 IBX
    For ME v6 1.5MB, 5MB DT, 5MB MB or Ignition IBX
  • ME System Tools v6 CCK
    For ME v6.0.50 Ignition CCK
  • ME System Tools v5
    For ME v5
  • ME System Tools v4
    For ME v4
  • ME System Tools v3
    For ME v3
  • ME System Tools v2
    For ME v2
9 Likes

D. Old Intel MEI Drivers

You should always install the latest drivers for all 8-series Broadwell mobile and up systems, which can be found at section A. The driver versions linked below are the latest of each older Engine major branch.

D1. Old Intel MEI Drivers and Software

These packages contain the Intel MEI/SOL drivers with their respective software and system services. It is advised to install these to enable all the Engine-related functionality. It is important to install the correct package depending on your Consumer/1.5MB or Corporate/5MB system.

Note: MEI Drivers and Software v2112.15.0.2221 includes MEI v2108.100.0.1053. MEI Drivers and Software v11.7.0.1069 includes MEI v11.7.0.1057. MEI Drivers and Software v11.0.6.1194 includes MEI v11.0.5.1189. MEI Drivers and Software v6.2.50.1062 includes MEI Driver v6.2.50.1050. MEI Drivers and Software v3.2.50.1059 includes MEI Driver v3.2.20.1046. MEI Drivers and Software v2.6.30.1051 includes MEI Driver v2.6.30.1046.

D2. Old Intel SOL "Drivers" and Software

D3. Old Intel TPM Drivers and Software

D4. Old Intel MEI Driver Only

These packages contain only the Intel MEI Driver without any additional software or system services. Installing these allow only very basic Engine-related functionality. They are compatible with both Consumer/1.5MB and Corporate/5MB systems. The MEI Installer is the setup file from Intel which includes the MEI Driver but also allows easy installation and adds a Control Panel entry for quick driver removal.

• MEI Driver v2108.100.0.1053 (ME 10-12, Windows 7, 8, 10 <= 1703)
  • MEI Installer v11.7.0.1069 (ME 9)
  • MEI Driver v11.7.0.1057 (ME 9, Windows 8 and Windows 10)
  • MEI Driver v11.7.0.1057 (ME 9, Windows XP and Windows 7)
  • MEI Installer v11.0.6.1194 (ME 7-8)
  • MEI Driver v11.0.5.1189 (ME 7-8)
  • MEI Driver v6.2.50.1050 (ME 6)
  • MEI Driver v5.2.0.1008 (ME 5)
  • MEI Driver v4.2.0.1008 (ME 4)
  • MEI Driver v3.2.20.1046 (ME 3)
  • MEI Driver v2.6.30.1046 (ME 2 MB)
  • MEI Driver v2.1.22.1033 (ME 2 DT)
  • AMT Driver v1.1.30.2 (AMT 1 GbE)

Note: The MEI Drivers listed above are part of the complete Drivers and Software packages found at section D1. A newer Drivers and Software package has newer Software but the actual MEI Driver may still be an older version.

Note: The MEI Installer includes the MEI Driver but allows easy installation of it. However, since we cannot always find the latest MEI Installer, it is advised to manually install the MEI Driver in case its version is newer. MEI Installer v11.7.0.1069 includes MEI Driver v11.7.0.1057. MEI Installer v11.0.6.1194 includes MEI Driver v11.0.5.1189.

D5. Old Intel SOL "Driver" Only

These packages contain only the Intel SOL "Driver" without any additional software or system services. It is compatible only with Corporate/5MB systems. If the software and system services are required in case of remote management etc, users of such systems should install the equivalent complete Drivers and Software package (section D1).

• SOL "Driver" v11.6.0.1009 (ME 9)
  • SOL "Driver" v11.0.0.1136 (ME 7-8)
  • SOL "Driver" v6.2.50.1060 (ME 6)
  • SOL "Driver" v5.5.1.1012 (ME 5)
  • SOL "Driver" v5.4.1.1016 (ME 4)
  • SOL "Driver" v5.4.1.1051 (ME 3)
  • SOL "Driver" v5.3.1.1046 (ME 2 MB)
  • SOL "Driver" v5.2.0.1019 (ME 2 DT)

Note: The SOL "Drivers" for ME 2-5 listed above are part of the complete Drivers and Software packages found at section D2. A newer Drivers and Software package has newer Software but the actual SOL "Driver" may still be an older version.

Note: The SOL "Driver" is not really a driver but rather a placeholder INF file which assigns a correct device name at Device Manager and prevents the latter from showing the yellow exclamation mark of "No driver was found for this device".

D6. Old Intel TPM Driver Only

• TPM Driver v5.0.1.1085 (ME 4 and 5)

1 Like

Update of the start post:

Today (10/11/2013) I have updated the start post again.

Changelog:

1. new: Intel ME 8 Gbe 1.3M/1.5M Firmware Update to v8.1.51.1471
    Note: The Firmware Update is only for Intel ME 8 with Gbe 1.3M or 1.5M (will support many Intel 6/7 Series Chipset systems).

Credits go to Station-Drivers and especially to VirtualFred for the source files.

Here is the result after having successfully updated the ME Firmware of my Intel HM76 Chipset Mobile system:

[[File:Intel MEInfo after FW-Update to v8.1.51.1471.png|none|auto]]

Good luck!
Fernando

Fernando,
Thanks for your help.
All is working nice now after MEI Driver and Firmware updates.
Here the result:
[[File:MEINFO_P8Z77-V-DELUXE_11_Oct_2013.PNG|none|auto]]

Updated. Everything is Ok.

May someone clarify what difference are between GBe 1.3 and 1.5? Is it an "upgrade"? Does it worth to mod? Thank you

AFAIK the Gbe v1.5 is not an update of Gbe v1.3, both Gbe versions are designed for different systems.

EDIT: The rest of the original post has been deleted by me, because the content obviously was wrong (thanks to Florin9doi for his private comment).

Update of the start post:

Today (10/12/2013) I have updated the start post again.

Changelog:

1. new: Intel ME 7 1.5MB Firmware Update to v7.1.60.1193
    Note: The Firmware Update is only for Intel ME 7 consumer systems (will support many Intel 6/7 Series Chipset systems). Credits go to Florin9doi for the file.
  2. corrected: the Gbe version informations regarding the ME Firmware packages

Credits go to Florin9doi for his informations and advices.

Good luck!
Fernando

HELLO FERNANDO,PLEASE HELP ME…CAN YOU POST INTEL ME FOR INTEL H55 CHIPSET???I NEED IT…
THANKS BEFORE…

@ udixadjus:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Please check the current ME version by running the appropriate MEInfo tool.

Regards
Fernando

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2 Rev. 1.3
MEI version 6.0.0.1179
how to upgrade this firmware,maybe need update because Intel Management Engine Failed to install,on device manager interjection mark intel management engine.
and startup computer too long…about 15-30 seconds.
Can you help me sir…
thanks before…

@ udixadjus:

AFAIK the Intel MEI driver v6.0.0.1179 is the latest for Intel 5-Series Chipset mainboards.
Maybe it will help, if you run the installer of the related Intel MEI driverpack, which is offered by Gigabyte for your board.

Update of the OP:

new: Intel ME9 Firmware v9.0.30.1482 for Intel 8-Series Chipset Consumer Desktop Systems (1.5MB)
Thanks to Pacman for the source files.

Stupid question: is ME firmware overwritten when flashing a new motherboard bios? AKA: do I have to reflash ME firmware after motherboard bios update? I assume no…
Thanks

AFAIK it depends on the flashing procedure. Look >here<.

Hi,
I hope not pollute your topic, yesterday I posted about on ME FW and its inclusion in a BIOS file. I insist on the fact that I have only tested it with many Gigabyte motherboards that minimize the risks thanks to Dual-BIOS :
About ME firmware
There will certainly improvements to be made, I hope this will move with the help of the community.

@ VirtualFred:

Thank you very much for the link to your very interesting and useful thread about the Intel ME Firmware at TweakTown Forums.

Not at all! I am very grateful for these additional informations regarding the "mysterious" Intel ME details.

Regards
Fernando

Hi! If i have Clevo notebook W230ST and actually FW 9.0.xxx 1.5MB i should use the 9.0.30.1482 1.5MB or 9.5.15.1730 1.5MB?? Modder named “Prema” (http://biosmods.wordpress.com) said me that 9.5.xxxx is right for another SKU maybe server boards etc. but in this thread i see that 9.5.xxx is for mobile and 9.0.xxx for desktop… for servers etc is 5MB FW… i’m confused and i don’t know anything…

There is a conversation with Prema: http://biosmods.wordpress.com/me/comment-page-5/#comments

Firmware Version 9.5.30.1482 (1.5Mo)(Intel Serie 8) on Station Drivers…

I’m a lttle bit confused as well, because your notebook has the Intel ME Firmware v9.0.
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Run the Intel MEInfo tool for ME v9 series and check the current ME Firmware version.
2. Depending on the result of the MEInfo tool you can update the ME Firmware either to v9.0.30.1482 1.5MB or to v9.5.15.1730 1.5MB by using the related ME Firmware Update tool.

You can check http://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/W230ST/ - in stock BIOS from few weeks ago:

BIOS B05.
1. System BIOS for W230ST.
2. Update VBIOS to 2177.
3. Update ME firmware to 9.0.13.1402.
4. Refer to text file readme.txt to update firmware.

I don’t know… 9.5.30.xxx and 9.0.30.xxx anybody knows what’s the different between both?? 9.0.30.xxx is correct for notebook also?? :smiley: :smiley: i’m very confused…

It’s possible to damage my laptop after flash the newer ME firmware than in stock BIOS for ex. from 9.0.13.1402 to 9.0.30.1482 ??

P.S.
I wrote that we have updated version of 9.5.30.1482 (1.5Mo)(Intel Serie 8) on Station Drivers… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: