[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I have a basic FPT flashing question. I’m 99% sure I’ve got a solid modded bios that’s ready to flash. My Intel ME version is 12, so I’ll be using the Flash Programming Tool under CSME System Tools v12 r38. My Dell has a physical service mode pin that will allow for an FPT flash.

Is it problematic or potentially problematic to simply flash over the current bios with the command FPTW64.exe -f bios.bin (and this assumes the modded bios is named bios.bin)?

Or, is it safer or required to erase the bios first, and then flash?

I’m getting this idea from this post:

1. Type FPTW64 -ERASE and press enter.

2. Type FPTW64 -REWRITE -F moddedbios.rom (for example) and press enter.

turn off your pc and reboot.

When I mis-flashed my bios, there’s no question that the replacement bios was broken. But I did simply overwrite with FPTW64.exe -f bios.bin, and am now considering proper FPT flashing to finish this off. Thanks

-ERASE Erase the contents of flash.

-REWRITE Rewrite the SPI with file data even if flash is identical.

fpt -h will get you the CMD switches

The rewrite switch usually is not needed but its useful to write if the system has the same bios version and ensure the block override, when for ex.: some tiny adjustments were made in previous flashed mod file and tool still complains about it, being identical data.

the hey the Flashrom v1.2 utilities link doesnt seem to work anymore, i was trying to help a friend get rid of a cyberpowerpc bios from his ASRock b450m, and for some reason the link either says that it doesnt have a app associated with it to open it and errors out, or for his pc it just turns into a notepad file. is there something im missing? (i’m a mega noob and usually solve issues via reddit and google)

@asparaguswizard
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!

As I just have tested >this< link is still working fine and doesn’t need an associated App to get the *.rar archive downloaded. Nevertheless you need an up-to-date unzip tool like 7-Zip (currently latest: v2408) or WinRAR (currently latest: v7.01) to get the compressed Flashrom Utilities extracted.

you’re a life saver, I’m a little slow and didn’t have an unzip tool.

My old p8b75-v asus motherboard (.CAP Bios) don’t have USB Flashback features and i’m not buying pcie to nvme adapter before ensure bios is modable so i can’t use AMI AFU method.
AI Suite is not available for Windows 10 so i had to install Windows 8.1 and use it to flash and voila it worked

Use UEFITool load BiosOgirinal.CAP, search text “CSMCORE”, scroll down to the last entry before “Volume free space” and insert after NvmExpressDxe final save to file Modded.CAP
Open Ai Suite → Asus Update → Update BIOS from file → Choose BiosOgirinal.CAP → after it loaded don’t click next → Delete BiosOgirinal.CAP and rename Modded.Cap to BiosOgirinal.CAP → now you can click next and flash it

1 Like

@peggidead
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum and congratulations for having succeeded!
Enjoy the speed of an NVMe SSD being used as system drive!