[Guide] How to get M.2/PCIe connected Samsung AHCI SSDs bootable?

Is inserting compressed vital? I always chose as is, assumed that would be correct considering extractions were as is as well.

According to my knowledge it doesn’t matter, which "FFS Option" you choose, when you are going to insert an uncompressed EFI module, because it will be compressed anyway by the MMTool.
Regarding the extraction of FFS files these things are different: If you choose the "as is" option, you will get the compressed module with no chance to get the informations you want (GUID header details, version etc.) after having opened it with an Hex Editor.

Ok glad to know it wouldn’t render my mods invalid. Thanks.

Well, the SM951 arrived Wednesday. Wow, the thing is small. Didn’t realize how small it would be. Still waiting for the ASUS Hyper M.2 adapter. Should be able to play around Saturday or Sunday.

Any updates of modding BIOSes for SM951 compatibility ?

Hello,

I would be particularly interested if it is possible to mod non-uefi bios (like my sabertooth x58). But I assume that adding efi module to it wont work, right ?

@ marv:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, it is impossible to get EFI modules inserted and working with mainboards like yours, because an UEFI BIOS is absolutely required.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Guys!

I registered here because I have a Problem with my new Samsung SM951 MZHPV512HDGL - 00000. Its not detected by the BIOS (EFI) or direct in Windows or Linux on the Intel HM87 (Lynx Point) mainboard. I know, that on this mainboard the harddisk should be operational. Do you think this is a software based problem? What can I do to fix it? What options in the BIOS are recommended to get things working?

Thanks in advance!

@ tectown:

Questions:
1. From whom did you get this knowledge?
2. Do you want to use the Samsung SM951 as system drive?
3. Is it not even detected by Windows, when you use it as second (not bootable) drive?

Provided, that your ASUS notebook supports M.2 connected SSDs at all, you probably need a special Samsung M.2 module within your BIOS. Within the BIOS of my ASRock Z97 Extreme6 there is an EFI module named Samsung_M2_DXE. So you may look into the BIOS of your system and check, if there is such module. If not, you may have to insert it yourself.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBoo…w.142308.0.html
    Here the SM951 with the same serial-number is pre-installed
    (Its the same computer with a larger Battery and larger M2.SSD but without a 2.5 Sata Port)

I own this different modell-configuration that is sold in Germany:
    http://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/N…I177H_specs.jpg

2) Yes. I cloned the original 128SSD Drive to 2.5 SSD. Afterwards my intention was to clone back to the new SM951 and boot from it.
    3) I tried various things - disable fastboot, activate legacy mode but it was not detected… I have installed the last BIOS-Version yesterday - but no effect.

a) How can I check which modules are installed in the BIOS?
    b) How a new one can be installed
    c) It is risky to install a new one? Can I brick the device?
    d) How Can I check that the installation was successful?
    e) Where do I get the module?
    f) How do I know its suitable for this mainboard?
    g) Do i need to configure the module after installation?
    h) In the case of a failure - can the old bios state reestablished?

Thanks

@ tectown:
Thanks for having answered my questions.

By opening it with the AMI AptioIV MMTool. Look >here<.

It has to be inserted like any other EFI module. You can find a guide how to insert such module (example there: Intel EFI SataDriver) within the start post of >this< thread.

All BIOS modifications may be risky, but the insertion of an original not present EFI module is rather safe.

By booting off an USB Flash Drive, which contains the OS you want to get installed, and looking, whether the SM951 will be detected or not.
Note: M.2 connected drives are usually not shown within the BIOS, even if they are detected by the BIOS.

Either you extract it from another BIOS, which contains it or you find someine, who gives you the link to an already extracted Samsung_M2_DXE module.

Only by trying and looking, if it works (unless you find someone with the exact same System, who has already such module working.

No.

Yes, you should prepare an USB Flash drive with the original BIOS for this case.

Maybe its more safe to extract it direct from a bios that comes from a manufacturer. Can you give me a hint which firmeware would be suitable to extract it from?

Attached is the Samsung_M2_DXE.ffs module, which I have extracted myself from the latest original BIOS 2.30 for my ASRock Z97 Extreme6.
What I do not know is, whether it works for your ASUS Notebook or not.

Only ASUS knows, whether they insert the Samsung M.2 EFI module into their BIOSes like they get them from Samsung or customize them in any way.

Samsung_M2_DXE.rar (3.56 KB)

Ok, thank you. I wrote a support ticket to ASUS. I will let you know what they say regarding the SM 951 on this computer.

Mr.tectown
whats happen with you ,i have the same problem

Hallo!
I have the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 Card AHCI 512GB too and want to use it with my Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (x79) Board as a bootable device.
I have Windows 7 (x64) installed and it recognizes the SM951 just fine, but my BIOS and Bootmenu (F8) don’t see it.

Will the Samsung_M2_DXE.ffs mod you posted earlier work with my bios or should I extract a driver from the Rampage V Extreme (x99) Bios?

And maybe someone could tell me which are the best BIOS-boot-settings to make the SM951 be seen…

Thanks!

@ PatrickKoller:

The mainboard BIOS usually only shows SATA connected HDDs/SSDs (and not PCIe connected ones).
If Windows sees the Samsung SM951, the BIOS should have detected it as well.
Question:
1. Have you already tried to boot off the SM951?
2. Which OS do you want to install onto the SM951 SSD?

They may work both, but I recommend to try as first the module, which has been extracted from an ASUS X99 mainboard BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I can’t boot from the SM951, because it is not shown as a bootable device. Windows indeed sees the Samsung SSD as an storage device and I could also clone my System (C:) drive (with Windows 7 on it) with an Acronis Boot CD successfully to the SM951.
Now I just need to boot from the SM951, but it isn’t listed in the boot menu and neither in BIOS…

So for now I tried modifying my Bios with the Samsung_M2_DXE.effs-file, but there is no difference.
I don’t have the module from the ASUS X99 already, I have to extract it first, but I didn’t find a module with this name or a similar name in the X99 Bios.

Regards,
Patrick

P.S. Sorry, my English isn’t that good! Do you mean by “boot off the SM951” removing the SSD or turning the power off or boot from it?

And btw. I connected the SM951 with a DELOCK PCIe x4 > 1 x M.2 NGFF Adapter to an PCIe-Slot.

@ PatrickKoller:
The BIOS module file named Samsung_M.2_DXE.ffs is an EFI module and no Option ROM module. Whichever Samsung_M2 BIOS module you will insert into the BIOS, it will only work, if you are running your OS in UEFI mode using the Guimode Partition Table (GPT).

"Boot off" means the same as "boot from".

Can you explain this further? Can i set this in BIOS or do i need to reinstall my whole system for this?